English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 March 2022, 16:58   #21
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I mean the question was what shmups are MISSING from the video, so I don't really understand why people keep listing games that are actually in there...
I'd say that if I was to be honest with myself, I might be partly responsible.

It's my second video and the process, timing and proportions of all the elements could be better. Perhaps, not everyone felt like watching all the way through.

I am planning on something a bit different for the next one, hopefully to be released either on Sunday or beginning of next week. It will be a game review. As a sort of a break to properly think through everything about these lists and come back with a better one. Technically speaking.
Old 15 March 2022, 17:03   #22
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
A few I enjoyed, that I didn't see:

Tinyus
R-Type 2
Apocalypse
Overdrive (Infacto)
Uridium 2
Stardust
Disposable Hero
Gunbee F-99
I actually had the Apocalypse in mind as one of the titles for this video as initially it was supposed to have more games in it. But after playing the game after all these years it wasn't as fun as I remembered it. And as much as it was OK I didn't like it as much as I hoped I would. In the end, I decided to only use 10 games and it just didn't make the cut.
Old 15 March 2022, 18:17   #23
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad3t View Post
I actually had the Apocalypse in mind as one of the titles for this video as initially it was supposed to have more games in it. But after playing the game after all these years it wasn't as fun as I remembered it. And as much as it was OK I didn't like it as much as I hoped I would. In the end, I decided to only use 10 games and it just didn't make the cut.
I thought the demo was great back in the day, only played the full game properly a few years ago and thought it was just ok, like you say its not much fun.
Old 15 March 2022, 19:32   #24
khph_re

Quote:
Originally Posted by kad3t View Post
I , I decided to only use 10 games and it just didn't make the cut.
10 is a good number, and plenty of room left for a sequel.

Funnily enough, I've recently introduced a friend to the Amiga. So many games i thought were great are a bit lacking these days - and others i just don't have the reaction time for..
Old 15 March 2022, 22:07   #25
kad3t

Quote:
10 is a good number, and plenty of room left for a sequel.

Funnily enough, I've recently introduced a friend to the Amiga. So many games i thought were great are a bit lacking these days - and others i just don't have the reaction time for..
I probably just remember them being much better cause we remember the times fondly. There are so many games from back then that I am disappointed with now. For instance I used to be able to spend hours playing Ports of Call. Great game, really... Just not so much anymore. Today, it's painfully clear that there's probably four or five unique things to do in the game and as soon as you master it, it's hard to lose the game other than by either making serious logical mistakes while taking orders for shipments or deliberately. I mean, to be clear, it's still fun and I still like it. It's just endless hours spent at it seem impossible to stomach.
Old 15 March 2022, 22:09   #26
kad3t

Quote:
...and others i just don't have the reaction time for..
Oh, I've learned this lesson painfully with the first of these videos. It was about platformers and oh my days, I suck at many of them so much these days. xD

Funny enough however, Fury of the Furries and Superfrog I can still play nearly as good as back then. Muscle memory?
Old 17 March 2022, 15:32   #27
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Or just really well-designed timeless games
Old 17 March 2022, 23:18   #28
kad3t

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Or just really well-designed timeless games
True.
Old 17 March 2022, 23:31   #29
Cobe

Wendetta 2175
Old 18 March 2022, 11:12   #30
acidbottle

Well all the obvious ones are already mentioned but I gave all the following huge amount of time back in ye olden days:

X-P8 .. Graphics were kinda 3d rendered and have dated a little, still looks pretty good tho.

Super Stardust AGA .. in the top 3 shooters for sure.

Blastar - Early Core game, belting soundtrack to. Maybe a bit marmite this, I personally thought it was fantastic.

Deluxe Galaga AGA - Already mentioned but arguably the best shoot em up on the Amiga.
Old 18 March 2022, 15:26   #31
MarkG

Alien Bash 2 : [ Show youtube player ]
Intact : [ Show youtube player ]
Project X : [ Show youtube player ]
X-Out : [ Show youtube player ]
Z-Out : [ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 March 2022, 18:37   #32
dreadnought

Laugh all you want, but I do have a soft spot for Delta Patrol, Amiga's first ever STG from 1985. It's quite a fun little game.
Old 19 March 2022, 08:39   #33
Adropac2
Zone Friend

perhaps another topic should be how many times that bloody same explosion sample was used in different games. It's the one detracting thing I find when I discover a new shooter only for it again to show up. Was there only one explosion sample in existence back then on Amiga

Last edited by Adropac2; 19 March 2022 at 08:53.
Old 19 March 2022, 12:18   #34
dirkies
Zone Friend

Sidewinder was a very decent schmup in the early days, with the same explosion sample as Firepower