English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 February 2021, 08:35   #121
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
People have told me all of my life that I'm negative, and I'm sure many regulars here will attest to that.

It's only games, yes, but people are passionate about what they like. I just am not passionate about Amiga games, but rather PC FPS's.
I think PC FPS games are totally crap and uninteresting. Funny isn't it, we are different
Old 04 February 2021, 08:43   #122
TjLaZer

Eat your heart out John Carmack! Doom ECS on the Amiga 600 at full speed!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 February 2021, 08:49   #123
NovaCoder

Nice try but that's running on a Vampire computer, not an A600

Last edited by NovaCoder; 04 February 2021 at 09:24.
Old 04 February 2021, 08:56   #124
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Eat your heart out John Carmack! Doom ECS on the Amiga 600 at full speed!
Very impressive!
Old 04 February 2021, 11:04   #125
Valken

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybarker View Post
What about the Chaos Engine in 3D?

[ Show youtube player ]
Cool idea, but the top down game play needs to be adopted to 3D properly to improve the game experience.

The reverse can be said of "Doom" to a pseudo isometric 3D to take advantage of the Amiga's sprites, bobs and blitter pushing strengths.

Waitaminute... I just basically said to convert Doom to Alien Breed, but in an isometric format! LOL...

Last edited by Valken; 04 February 2021 at 12:32.
Old 04 February 2021, 15:11   #126
johnnybarker

That sounds like a winning formula!
Old 05 February 2021, 03:54   #127
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Nice try but that's running on a Vampire computer, not an A600
It's running on an A600 with accelerator board. Anybody can put one in their A600, just like we could 'back in the day' (I had a Viper 630 in mine).

Until watching that video I didn't realize that Doom is fully multitasking. Couldn't do that on a PC!
Old 05 February 2021, 06:24   #128
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
It's running on an A600 with accelerator board. Anybody can put one in their A600, just like we could 'back in the day' (I had a Viper 630 in mine).

Until watching that video I didn't realize that Doom is fully multitasking. Couldn't do that on a PC!
You do know it's just a source port, right? I'm sure it's been 100% tailored for the Amiga, unlike the original code.
Old 05 February 2021, 08:16   #129
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valken View Post

Waitaminute... I just basically said to convert Doom to Alien Breed, but in an isometric format! LOL...
Funny, I always thought Doom was just an over-hyped FPS version of Alien Breed with uninteresting, uninspired, worst and cut-down gameplay... But I aknowledge its historical importance nontheless. On the other hand I enjoyed AB3D a lot and I see how the circles closes somehow.
Old 05 February 2021, 21:12   #130
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
You do know it's just a source port, right?
Duh! Yes, I am aware that x86 code doesn't run very well on an Amiga. What other kind of port could it be?

Quote:
I'm sure it's been 100% tailored for the Amiga, unlike the original code.
I'm pretty sure it hasn't been '100% tailored' for the Amiga, and is in fact about 95% the same 'C' code as the original. I disassembled Doom Attack and saw a lot of redundant PC stuff.

My point about it being multitasking is it proves that a complex game can be made system friendly without a lot of effort, and apparently without much performance loss. It probably could run a bit faster by taking over the entire machine though, like most native Amiga games do.

Doom on the PC takes over the whole machine because running it in Windows 3 (the contemporary PC equivalent of Intuition) would have been practically impossible. ISTR that even getting it to run in DOS was often a struggle, as it needed all of the 640k base memory as well as extended memory. A real problem when your sound card needed DOS drivers loaded to configure it.
Old 05 February 2021, 22:10   #131
pipper

You betray the Amiga by playing DOOM!

You don’t have to disassemble it. The full source is out in the open: https://github.com/mheyer32/DoomAttack (Shameless plug).
DoomAttack actually implements most of the performance sensitive code in assembly.

DoomAttack is also multithreaded on the Amiga, using two extra threads to implement screen flipping and MIDI playback.
Old 05 February 2021, 23:13   #132
Foebane
Banned

I didn't actually think that Doom on even the most accelerated emulated Amiga was up to snuff, featuring things like moonwalking zombies and so forth, or other quirks of the source port. I just prefer to play Doom on a PC source port, just for customizability's sake.
Old 05 February 2021, 23:48   #133
Photon

Well, I didn't. I have taste, and I know the first thing about computers. This was lacking in the US. The rest of the world did fine, despite Commodore's shenanigans.

Consoles died on their own. Nobody bought Macs, either.

Some had a 386 or 486 - for printing on a matrix printer! Mind blow.

Doom is mostly a US phenomenon, and it was was chug a chug slow on release. Maybe point and click to kill was all Americans were looking for in a game?

I think I'm on the safe side, questioning the success of Doom outside the USA, and I think Europe waited until Windows actually worked and did something a 10 year old computer couldn't do. It's amazing how someone can release a computer and for the first 14 years, it does absolutely nothing that no other computer can do, in fact it's a $1500 version of the 8-bit computer of the 1970s and just as clunky, and it still succeeds.
Old 07 February 2021, 11:23   #134
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Doom is mostly a US phenomenon
Old 07 February 2021, 11:48   #135
Paul_s

Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAUniW View Post
Doom didn't kill the Amiga, Commodore killed the Amiga.

The Amiga should've been onto its third major chipset revision by 1992 with Hombre on the horizon to take on CD equipped PCs and the PlayStation 1.

OCS - 1985
AGA - 1989
AAA - 1992
Hombre - 1995

Inept management lead to years of work being pissed up the wall. ECS was a hotfix for the 3000 and AGA was a stopgap for a stopgap for a stopgap.

I dare say we could, in an alternate timeline, be talking about how Doom helped sell Homebre equipped Amigas and how well it ran on them. The Amiga CD64 should've been a real contender against Sony and Nintendo.
We've fact checked your recent post and our conclusion is: FALSE.

Reasoning: The Amiga was culled due to Little Johnny at number 5 Primrose Avenue using X-Copy to pirate Back to the Future Part II and sharing with his classmates in Year 4.

Consultant Author of Commodore fact checking report: Medhi Ali
Old 07 February 2021, 12:33   #136
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Reasoning: The Amiga was culled due to Little Johnny at number 5 Primrose Avenue using X-Copy to pirate Back to the Future Part II and sharing with his classmates in Year 4.
Fun fact: Andrew Braybrook will block anyone on Twitter who admits to pirating Amiga or C64 games.
Old 07 February 2021, 12:45   #137
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
We've fact checked your recent post and our conclusion is: FALSE.

Consultant Author of Commodore fact checking report: Medhi Ali
Strange reply.

But yes, piracy did a lot of harm to the Amiga, if not killing off directly.

Then again, the engineers of the Amiga committed a major faux pas (in my opinion) of having the auto-boot floppy disk system, allowing viruses contained in the boot sector to infect the Amiga without any way of stopping them (was there?)
Old 07 February 2021, 13:21   #138
skan
Dream Merchant

Yeah, sure, because piracy was an amiga-only issue... C'mon...
Old 08 February 2021, 02:44   #139
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
Yeah, sure, because piracy was an amiga-only issue... C'mon...
Compared to console piracy it was off the chart though..... built in copying device and storage media that cost pennies. Yes you could pirate cartridges but 99% of people did not and bought the actual games.

I always laugh when cracker groups say they released full games so people could try them and not waste their money on shitty games, fair enough for those stinkers but what about the good games? Why did we need saving from the likes of Pinball Fantasies, Stunt Car Racer, F1GP and the Settlers for example? Sorry that was a bit OT lol
Old 08 February 2021, 08:31   #140
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
Compared to console piracy it was off the chart though..... built in copying device and storage media that cost pennies. Yes you could pirate cartridges but 99% of people did not and bought the actual games.

I always laugh when cracker groups say they released full games so people could try them and not waste their money on shitty games, fair enough for those stinkers but what about the good games? Why did we need saving from the likes of Pinball Fantasies, Stunt Car Racer, F1GP and the Settlers for example? Sorry that was a bit OT lol
Erhm, I think it's better if we stick to computer piracy maybe? It wasn't that easy to copy carts back then. On the other hand, none of my PC-owning friends/classmates that I knew of EVER bought an original and I'm not talking about games only, but also serious stuff like AutoCAD and 3DS... And the whole "Piracy killed the Amiga" topic has already been discussed to death already and we can all agree that it was just one of the causes, not THE cause. Developers have their share of responsability (think of all those lame 1:1 ST ports with just a better soundtrack) so I call that natural selection. Personal note: I was young, poor and stupid, but I bought the games I really care even back in 1991. End of OT.