English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

View Poll Results: Amibay : a unique mix of a trading site and a forum ?
I like it just the way it is ! 12 28.57%
There is room for improvment, other than that a fine site 25 59.52%
It should be turned into something different (new rules, full relaunch...) 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 July 2011, 09:13   #41
r0jaws
Amibay fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
.... There is no need to jump on someone heavily for making a mistake unless they are deliberately trying to flaunt the rules etc....
I just want to make a point here. We don't jump on people from a great height for minor infractions. What maybe considered a "minor" infraction by one person, can be considered a fairly big deal by someone else, we then have to sort things out as fairly as possible.

Yes, some people have earned themselves infractions or have been banned, but the reasons have always been heavily debated amongst the staff, the individual fully informed of any reasons and limitations given, and a chance of appeal offered. No other retro computer based site offers such a comprehensive system as we have developed.

Why do we bother with all that? It is to protect the members of the site from those who would attempt to take advantage of other members, and to ensure that it's not just one person is calling the shots, so mitigating the chance of a "power trip".

Everything we do is for the benefit, and by the consent of the membership. Unless it is about the nuts and bolts running of the site (which is down to the admins) all decisions about the rules and ethos of the site are voted on by poll by ordinary members. We also actively ask for opinion, and implement changes when requested by the majority.

Everyone who signs up for the site has to read the rules, they are not allowed on without first being directed there. We understand that as our rules are different than other forums, new members will make mistakes, we accommodate that by pointing out the mistake, and offering advice. Our senior members also tend to do a bang up job helping out in this respect.
We don't leap on an individual and start dishing out infraction points just because we can, only as a last resort if someone is deliberately ignoring the rules or upsetting others. This applies to all members, staff included.

The Amibay team have worked very hard over the last few years (in their own time and at their own expense) to make the site a safe place to trade and chat. Yes, there have been mistakes, and there maybe more in the future, but we are only human and we try our best to avoid them where possible.
Old 12 July 2011, 09:22   #42
JuvUK

I'm not a mod on Amibay, so I will take this one up!

what a load of arse! many warnings were issued about previous Hitler "jokes" and personal attacks made on other Amibay members you likened to Hitler.

Amibay is stricter than other sites, but that is in the rules (you are free to read these at any time) and 99% of the membership manage to live within these rules with no problems (so who's the odd one out here?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraXXious View Post
I agree with your sentiments, but I think you are missing the point - several times I have witnessed mods doing as they please, and then turning around and victimising another mere mortal for the same (or lesser) act.

For instance, I was not going to mention it before, but since I was asked, and have now been asked by three other (non banned) Amibay member, I will share what got me banned for a month.... I hope you guys are thick skinned as its pretty severe....

I opened a thread asking for help on an Apollo 1260 HD related problem. Fitzsteve made a suggestion I might try, and also made a joke about two things he had learnt in life. I replied to the suggestion (and thanked him for the help) and added the following joke:

"The two things I have learnt in life are: 1 - dont pick a fight with Batman, or anyone with the balls to wear head to toe rubber latex in public. And 2 - Hitler was a very misunderstood fellow."

Terrible hey? At this point an Amibay member with the title of staff moderator decided he took offence to this terrible injustice of humour and proceeded to post a reply that had nothing to do with the thread, but to simply deride myself and my terrible sense of humour.

I am not making this up.

When I replied that it was merely a joke and that he should get a sense of humour, this "staff moderator" when on to insult and warn me etc. Another Amibay member then called for a mod to put a stop to it (I also asked for the thread to be closed). The thread was closed.

And all remarks pertaining to this unbelievable behavior were deleted.
Old 12 July 2011, 09:26   #43
abraXXious

I see, so you are saying that the staff moderator who took it upon himself to take offence to such an innocent joke was in the right to start a rant?

Obviously you are saying my joke was worthy of a ban? Because it upset someone, even though absolutely no intent to do so was shown?

Okiez... well I feel that staff moderators ridiculous comments were very insulting and I am upset - I assume now he will be banned?

Sorry, r0jaws, but you can put it anyway you like - more and more people are seeing exactly what I mentioned. Mods doing as they please and acting as overlords over everyone else who does not happen to be a mod. I know several Amibay members who do not frequent the website anymore because of the above reasons.

Amibay sorely needs some mods with the intelligence and self control to deal with matters, be they serious or minor, in an even handed, adult and transparent manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0jaws View Post
I just want to make a point here. We don't jump on people from a great height for minor infractions. What maybe considered a "minor" infraction by one person, can be considered a fairly big deal by someone else, we then have to sort things out as fairly as possible.

Yes, some people have earned themselves infractions or have been banned, but the reasons have always been heavily debated amongst the staff, the individual fully informed of any reasons and limitations given, and a chance of appeal offered. No other retro computer based site offers such a comprehensive system as we have developed.

Why do we bother with all that? It is to protect the members of the site from those who would attempt to take advantage of other members, and to ensure that it's not just one person is calling the shots, so mitigating the chance of a "power trip".

Everything we do is for the benefit, and by the consent of the membership. Unless it is about the nuts and bolts running of the site (which is down to the admins) all decisions about the rules and ethos of the site are voted on by poll by ordinary members. We also actively ask for opinion, and implement changes when requested by the majority.

Everyone who signs up for the site has to read the rules, they are not allowed on without first being directed there. We understand that as our rules are different than other forums, new members will make mistakes, we accommodate that by pointing out the mistake, and offering advice. Our senior members also tend to do a bang up job helping out in this respect.
We don't leap on an individual and start dishing out infraction points just because we can, only as a last resort if someone is deliberately ignoring the rules or upsetting others. This applies to all members, staff included.

The Amibay team have worked very hard over the last few years (in their own time and at their own expense) to make the site a safe place to trade and chat. Yes, there have been mistakes, and there maybe more in the future, but we are only human and we try our best to avoid them where possible.
"We dont jump on people from a great height for minor infractions" Lol, yeah, that joke of mine was a real show stopper.

But how about another example?

I know of a fellow who received an infraction and had his thread closed because he did not have prices listed on his items...but there were no actual items, the fellow was merely letting Amibay members know he would soon have some A4000s available for sale and that he would have more details when they had returned from being refurbished. The thread had been opened as a courtesy for the Amibay members who had missed out on the first lot of A4000s and had PMed him since asking when more would be available.

What a bastard!!! Quick, give him an infraction and close that evil thread.

Needless to say he was so annoyed about the threatment (after trying to do the right thing by Amibay members) that he sold the A4000s on eBay and directly to Amibay members outside of Amibay.

Less than a week later I saw, to my horror, a bunch of Amibay members, including several mods, joking around in a thread opened about a fictious piece of hardware for sale. The thread was a joke, but never the less broke Amibay rules about selling ACTUAL items.

Of course, you cannot give a mod an infraction, so nothing happened here.

Sound familar? Can anyone say double standard?

Anyway, Im sure it has been said many times before (I know Ive heard it from q few people), so whats the point in saying it again?

Lets just hope things change in the future.

Bullshit Juv. I have nothing against you personally, but what a crock. These Hitler remarks were made a long time ago and were made BECAUSE certain mods were acting exactly like Hitler! AND I received infractions for them.... so what the hell do they have to do with the joke that just got me banned?!

The Hitler reference in the joke had NOTHING to do with anyone and was simply a joke, as was blatantly obvious! Or are you saying you take offence and believe that joke to be worthy of a ban?

If so, I find your attack offensive and your use of the word "arse" equally so. Guards! Ban him!!!

As for personal attacks, please name a SINGLE time I was the FIRST to attack? If attacked I can give as good as a get, but I am rarely the aggressor.

Whos the odd one out? 99% etc etc? Look at the stats at the top of the page me ole son, Do you see 1% thinking Amibay has some serious problems? Now, why would people be PMing me about the problems on Amibay and whats going on if I was, as you say, the odd one out?

You need to wake up and smell the reality Juv. YOU may not have run afoul of the Amibay beaurocracy yet, but those like minded to yourself are far less than 99%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuvUK View Post
I'm not a mod on Amibay, so I will take this one up!

what a load of arse! many warnings were issued about previous Hitler "jokes" and personal attacks made on other Amibay members you likened to Hitler.

Amibay is stricter than other sites, but that is in the rules (you are free to read these at any time) and 99% of the membership manage to live within these rules with no problems (so who's the odd one out here?)

Last edited by TCD; 12 July 2011 at 10:13.
Old 12 July 2011, 10:14   #44
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Right, take that to PM or something, but I'm fed up with people coming to EAB just to whine about AmiBay. Might close this one if you don't calm down abraXXious.
Old 12 July 2011, 10:16   #45
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ TCD

Maybe it's better for both sites if this thread is closed down.
Old 12 July 2011, 10:18   #46
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Yep. Really folks, this is EAB and AmiBay is another forum, so if you have a problem with it, try to sort it via PM with a mod over there.