English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 28 June 2007, 00:42   #181
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
I would just like to point out that Amiga Power only ever reviewed three unfinished games - Super Stardust, Pinball Illusions and Sensible World Of Soccer. They admitted so on the AP2 website, years after the mag's demise (actually they admitted to SWOS in the mag a few months after they reviewed it).

they forgot to add putty squad and others to that list
Old 28 June 2007, 00:46   #182
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser

they forgot to add putty squad and others to that list
Others, such as...? I would be interested to hear what you know that the rest of us don't.
Old 28 June 2007, 10:52   #183
derSammler

It gets a bit ridiculous, doesn't it?
Old 28 June 2007, 11:01   #184
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

A tad yeah.

I had a quick browse of the magazine shots and the one of the barrel levels has a gradient (copper effect) background that doesn't look anything like the background on the SNES version.
Old 28 June 2007, 11:29   #185
derSammler

Just wondering, had no one the idea so far to contact Cam Winstanley who reviewed the game for Amiga Power back then? I guess he knows best whether the full version was tested or not. And who knows, maybe the game is still in his possession.
Old 28 June 2007, 11:39   #186
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yeah it might be worth contacting (or trying to) the authors of the reviews, they'll at least be able to stop this thread from going on for another 3 years
Old 28 June 2007, 15:31   #187
laser
Banned

BTW,

I have discovered another Criss Angel' dishonest cheat

where this cheaters get that screenshots on this page?:

http://amigareviews.classicgaming.ga...m/puttysqu.htm

professedly they refer that screensots to amiga format 62,cu amiga and amiga power 41 but that screenshots did not match with the original ones on main magazines

That screenshots are modern screenshots ...not the old ones that are real photos
They faked that screenshots using any snes emulator like SNES9x or ZNESW

and I can probe that because I taked an identical screenshot on last level under water using snes9x
also I taked another screenshots identical using snes9x on the level tower of london.....which is idem to one original photo on CU Amiga magazine

how I can upload image files to the forum?
Old 28 June 2007, 15:43   #188
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong
Aye! Every interview with Mark Cale (past or present) that I've ever read has given me the distinct feeling that he's full of it, simply because he gives very little credit for System 3's past success to anyone but himself (John Twiddy included). In the old 8- and 16-bit mags he was regularly pictured jumping into the latest, greatest sports cars like some sort of fly-boy from the mile high club. I imagine Cale's fancy cars were more a result of the talented, hard-working stable of coders that System 3 had working for them in their heydey (Archer MacLean, John Twiddy, Dokk, Bob Stevenson, Chris Butler, Stan Schembri......just to name a star-studded few) than any master stroke on his part. System 3 has hardly set the world on fire since those days with Cale remaining at the helm either.

Mark Cale market-spin at it's best IMHO. Amiga enthusiasts will likely never see Putty Squad released for free, not while there's a chance for it to be released on another platform to make some money and not while Mark Cale has anything to say about it. Sorry peeps.......I don't think we should hold our breath on this one!

Yeah but what would we have to talk about if this ever showed up?!

Gotta agree with Cody & Dr Bong on this one-as much as I enjoyed virtually every System 3 C64 release (esp. the first two Last Ninja games), reading several online & retro-related interviews in the last few years regarding Mark Cale's spin on their old games has left a soured view of things. I too recall the Zzap! interviews/photos ferraris etc., yet recall some former workers commonly complain of chasing for payments.

Couldn't agree more about the lack of his ever crediting previous programmers/artists/musicians etc. when talking about system 3's retro-works seems to speak volumes about him.

I well recall at one point when The One was speculating about strong rumours on an IK+ sequel being in the works for the Amiga & putting the question to Archer Mclean who'd heard about the rumour himself (& apparently held the game copyright), but wasn't involved at all in any such project-& just as mysteriously the rumour suddenly died in its tracks.

Given the recent acquiring of the old Epyx game rights, (& releases like Impossible Mission on DS & Wii), & promises of a Last Ninja game on Psp it wouldn't shock if blood from a stone is attempted with Putty too. The "trying to find a suitable Amiga emulator" line is surely a dead giveaway about Mr Cale's intentions.

Methinks chances of a release would be buckley's & none-you'd have to wonder if the original source files wouldn't have corrupted by now even if they did survive in Mark Cale's parent's house attic in any case!
Old 28 June 2007, 15:54   #189
derSammler

Quote:
where this cheaters get that screenshots on this page?:

http://amigareviews.classicgaming.ga...m/puttysqu.htm

professedly they refer that screensots to amiga format 62,cu amiga and amiga power 41 but that screenshots did not match with the original ones on main magazines

That screenshots are modern screenshots ...not the old ones that are real photos
They faked that screenshots using any snes emulator like SNES9x or ZNESW
So what? That's a private website. Whoever made it just typed in the reviews. He probably didn't have a scanner, so he had to make screenshots from an emulated version. And since no one has the Amiga version, he used the SNES version. Not a single review on that website has screenshots that were scanned from a magazine, by the way...
Old 28 June 2007, 16:32   #190
derSammler

Okay, I just did a quick compare between the screenshots from Amiga Power and the SNES version myself. The Amiga Power screenshots are *not* from the SNES version! Too much work to show a comparison for every screenshot, so here's just one:

Screenshot from Amiga Power 41:

Same place, but from the SNES version:

As you can see, the background layers are completely different. This is true for the other screenshots as well. So let's bury the assumption that AP tested the SNES version, as they didn't.
Old 28 June 2007, 17:48   #191
laser
Banned

[quote=WindowsKiller]Okay, I just did a quick compare between the screenshots from Amiga Power and the SNES version myself. The Amiga Power screenshots are *not* from the SNES version! Too much work to show a comparison for every screenshot, so here's just one:

I agree that this particular screenshot was made on the amiga but
that screenshot was made on the first level...it's on the amiga demo
there is no sense to post that cause they had the demo like anybody today

anyways if a private website can post fake SNES screenshots...you can imagine what kind of cheat could make a magazine that needs comercial sucess

Last edited by laser; 28 June 2007 at 18:00.
Old 28 June 2007, 17:56   #192
Graham Humphrey

You still haven't said anything to back up your argument. It's all very well having a debate like this but if you've got nothing beyond "I think these pics are fake because I say so" then you're just digging an almighty hole for yourself. Is this because you know you're wrong?

You still haven't answered my question about what other games Amiga Power reviewed that weren't finished...
Old 28 June 2007, 17:59   #193
derSammler

@laser:

As I wrote, I only posted one screenshot, as I don't have the time to cut every screenshot from the review, make a screenshot from the same place from the SNES version, upload all the stuff, and so on. And it's not needed at all, as you can see the different background layers on the other screenshots as well. There's no need to prove that any further.

Not to mention that you already said that some of the screenshots can't be from the Amiga DEMO. But now you're saying that this one might be, so your next assumption is that they mixed screenshots from the demo and the SNES version? Come on!

Quote:
you can imagine what kind of cheat could make a magazine that needs comercial sucess
Well, I can imagine how it would rather hurt sales for a commercial magazine if they would cheat their readers that way...

Anyway, I'm out now. I can't believe how stubborn someone can be, just because he read something different "somewhere on internet". No offense meant.

Last edited by derSammler; 28 June 2007 at 18:04.
Old 28 June 2007, 19:14   #194
laser
Banned

how about this: (this level not exists on the amiga demo)

CU AMiga page 62

and my own screenshot using SNES9x

mmmm.......

btw,Graham..I don't know how many unfinished games they had reviewed...but for intuition I bet were a lot
anyways nowbody have scientific evidence here
I bet and I hope that nowbody invent things here to sustain certain theory...we're friends..IM wrong?
Old 28 June 2007, 19:25   #195
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
btw,Graham..I don't know how many unfinished games they had reviewed...but for intuition I bet were a lot
anyways nowbody have scientific evidence here
I bet and I hope that nowbody invent things here to sustain certain theory...we're friends..IM wrong?
Well true, I can't go out and prove that they didn't review more unfinished games any more than you can prove they did. But you're stating it as fact when you've got no proof to back it up. And seeing as the staff from AP themselves have admitted to the games they did review that weren't finished, I don't see what the point would be in hiding it anymore (especially this long since the mag died).

And as for that screenshot.... that's a bit like saying if a game was released on the ST and the Amiga, and an Amiga review had screenshots that were identical to the ST version, that the magazine must have taken the screenshots from the ST version. The SNES and the A1200 aren't worlds apart in terms of power are they? A lot of games look similar on different formats, it's nothing unusual.

Oh, and I'll say it again: SYSTEM 3 THEMSELVES HAVE SAID THE GAME WAS FINISHED. It doesn't mean they'll release it but I don't know what they've got to gain by lying about it, it's crazy.
Old 28 June 2007, 19:26   #196
Graham Humphrey

And again, one more thing...

Quote:
I'm sure everybody can work out the irony for themselves.
Old 28 June 2007, 19:26   #197
derSammler

Quote:
how about this: (this level not exists on the amiga demo)
So, what about this? They are quite different. Look at the status bar: Since the SNES has a lower resolution, the gap on the left and right side is much smaller than it is on the Amiga version. That clearly shows that the CU Amiga screenshot is *not* from the SNES version. And if you scale both screenshot to the same size, you'll also notice some other differences in the graphics itself, like the light on the far right, which has a much higher distance to the tower in your SNES screenshot.
Old 28 June 2007, 19:28   #198
Graham Humphrey

Well spotted WindowsKiller - I could have saved myself a long post had I checked the screenshots carefully enough
Old 28 June 2007, 19:30   #199
derSammler

Thanks. Not that it will convince him.
Old 28 June 2007, 21:05   #200
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
@ laser : Stop bullshit ! No one here is substaining theory, the game was finished,
there had been a lawsuit between RJ and Marc Cale, period !

Stop saying the game is unfinished, blablabla, it's non sense....