English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 October 2021, 14:33   #1
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

which Amiga game should I try to play to the end?

I would really love to play some Amiga games until the end, like I sometimes passionately did back in the days.

However, most of the ones I already tried seem to get too difficult at some point, where I gave up and put them away, since I got the impression that I could never ever get to the end.

But maybe some of you can recommend games they already finished, and where it was worth the effort?
The games don't need to be super easy, since I am willing to spend some time and effort into playing them, but they also shouldn't be extremely difficult.

Also, I don't use trainers and also no Action Replay safestates, so it should be possible to finish them without those helpers.

Generally, I like action games like jump'n runs, platformers, shooters, shoot'n runs etc, etc., but also adventures, dungeon crawler rpgs, puzzlers, etc., but I have no experience with strategy games and simulations, so I would probably perform quite poor in those.

I am looking forward to some recommendations
Thanks!
Old 12 October 2021, 14:52   #2
chip

I can suggest you ALL the games i finished on Amiga WITHOUT cheating:

Brian The Lion, Benefactor, Lemmings, Prince Of Persia, Another World, Flashback, Alien Breed Special Edition, The Chaos Engine, Superfrog, Fury Of The Furries

Last edited by chip; 12 October 2021 at 16:00.
Old 12 October 2021, 14:54   #3
d4rk3lf

Well, for me, definitely worth finishing (although, I still haven't finish them all myself), are these:

- Wing Commander (amazing campaign, and story).
- Mortal Kombat 2 (just make it very easy in the options, and do it with 30 credits (it's hard enough)).
- Ruff'n Tumble (great polished platformer)
- Shadow of the best 3 (amazing puzzle platformer)
- Civilization (I know you said you don't play much strategies, but this one is really fun)
- Simon the sorcerer/Monkey Island (great adventures, although pretty hard from time to time)
- Golden Axe (it's a bit too easy, though)

I probably have more that I can't remember now, but above should be enough for many many days, weeks, months... even years (if you reply Civ, for example)
Old 12 October 2021, 14:57   #4
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Here is a small and non exhaustive list made of the games played during the AEB/Lemon competition.
In my opinion, all of them are "finishable" with a small bit of practice and memory.
- Celtic Heart (platformer)
- Worthy (brainer/action-reflexes)
- Treasure Island Dizzy (exploration)
- Wizzy's Quest (brainer/platformer)
- PGA Tour Golf (or any other Golf game - sport)
- Tinyus (shoot'em up)
- Hybris & Battle squadron (shoot'em up)
- Trap Runner (platformer)

If you like exploring, Dungeon Master, Faery Tale Adventure could be your good friends.

Regarding adventure games, my mini-Godzillas enjoyed and finished : Loom, Simon the Sorcerer, The Legend of Kyrandia, Monkey Island I.

Hope this helps
Old 12 October 2021, 15:03   #5
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I can recommend all the one I completed.

Agony
Alien Breed
Another World
Arabian Nights
Chaos Engine, The
Defender of the Crown
Flashback
Lionheart
Pang
Premiere
Prince of Persia
Project X
Pushover
Silkworm (Heli)
Silkworm (Jeep)
Simon the sorcerer
Superfrog
SWIV (Heli)
SWIV (Jeep)
Turrican
Turrican II
X-Out

Couple of games I played a lot, but never completed on Amiga:

Battle Isle
Cannon Fodder
Civilization *
Colonization *
The Settler
X-Com Enemy Unknown *
Wing Commander *

* Completed on PC, most of them multiple times.

Last edited by Anubis; 12 October 2021 at 15:45.
Old 12 October 2021, 15:50   #6
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Thanks guys!!

I didn't expect so many recommendations - that's great!

Most of them I already finished back then, and some of them I already played a lot, but not finished, yet, like:

- Brian the Lion:
I played this a lot and I think I also found ALL levels before going to the volcano island, but there was one location on the map where I was sure there must be another level, but couldn't find it?
I should definitely try this one again! Thanks!

- Arabian Nights.
Same here, also played it a lot and just recently tried again, and found this secret pot on the first level
I never made it across the mine level, I think, but I should try again

- Lionheart:
Played about 50% of it back then, but remember I couldn't go any further due to a broken disk back then
Very beautiful game! Will try it again

- Premiere:
Also played this one back then, but I remember it took aaaages to play. It is one of those games where I simply loose motivation, because when I die after 1,5 hours of gameplay, then I am too frustrated to try again.....
There really should be passwords in such lenghty games.

- Chaos Engine:
Played this near the end back then, but couldn't make it. I think I need to play again from start with the priest, since he is getting more and more powerful in later levels?

- Ruff'n Tumble is also a great game, but have not really tried to play it, yet.

- Project X and Agony:
I tried bot hof them a number of times, but there is absolutely NO chance to finish them if you die once, since you loose your add-ons. And I don't know how I could beat them with 1 life? Agony, for instance, is simply getting too difficult in level 4, which I never managed to beat

Also special thanks to Malko for suggesting some not so well known games - they look very interesting!
Old 12 October 2021, 15:56   #7
Zak
Zap´em

Generally speaking I find it the most satisfying to finish adventures with all their story line. You don't always have good extro/outro sequences or awards on any game. Often times you just get a congratulations text screen. I don't know what would feel satisfying to you: just the fact to have made it or an award of some kind? Games I had fun finishing other than adventures and the games already mentioned above by others were

Battle Isle History Line
Budokan
Desert Strike
F/A-18 Interceptor (finished all missions)
Flood
Giana Sisters
Gravity Force (recquires Kickstart 1.2)
Hard Drivin'
Hostages
Hybris
Joan of Arc /Jeanne D'Arc
Jumping Jim
Katakis
Knights Of The Sky
Major Motion
Marble Madness
Nitro
North & South
Nuclear War (not really hard to finish)
Pandora
PP Hammer
Rick Dangerous 1&2 (2 is very hard to finish without cheats)
Robocop III
Shanghai (a Mah Jong game)
Sherman M4 (tank simulation)
Stunt Car Racer
Sufflepuck Café (was extreme fun to figure out how to win)
Super Cars 1&2 (1 is harder to win than 2)
Syndicate
Technoban (a Sokoban game)
Test drive 1&2
Wings
Wings Of Fury

There are also games that would never end like IK+ for example. Or there are sports/racing game or pinball game, where it's debatable what it would mean to finish them. Mostly you just get better high scores or results per match/race, but there is no real finish. Maybe if you win the cup/trophy which I did on

Goal!
Grand Prix Cirquit
Indy 500 (won the full 500 miles race)
Microprose Soccer (including indoor soccer challenge)
Super Star Ice Hockey
Old 12 October 2021, 16:15   #8
kremiso

It came from the Desert
Old 12 October 2021, 16:28   #9
rothers

Wizkid is still original to this day. Hilarious game to play through.
Old 12 October 2021, 18:47   #10
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Chuck Rock, one of my more favorite platformers. Love the humorous style, plays smoothly. There is something to say for platformers with really precise collision detection, in this game I never felt like I was unfairly hit or that I should have landed on a platform that I missed. The game is no picnic by any means but IMO the difficulty stays quite stable throughout, there is no insane rampup.

A divided opinion, but Gods. If you can stomach the rather slow framerate and movement.

Valhalla 2. Of the three I think it is the one with the most reasonable puzzles, but it's still a right challenge to the old brain factory.

Lost Vikings is another toughy but goody that's quite doable with a little perseverance.
Old 12 October 2021, 18:50   #11
D13TZ13

Chaos Engine - one of the few I managed to complete back in the day
Old 12 October 2021, 18:57   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

Premiere whdload has levelskip (there's also a cheat mode in the original game). Without cheat it's just too long and annoying boring repeating gameplay (and it's not that easy).

I recommend

Gods
The Chaos Engine
Cadaver (it's damn hard!!) & the Payoff (it's even harder)
Toki
Pang
Push Over
Brat (just kidding!!)
Old 12 October 2021, 19:12   #13
jimbob

A few I enjoyed to the end and I am not good at "hard" games -

Fire Force - Slightly clunky but great fun run and gun, if you miss the helicopter, recover your MIA character by recompleting mission 1.4, rescue POWs.
Walker - Regarded as kinda hard but there is only one boss which I can't avoid losing a life too. Learn the enemy waves and prioritize the most dangerous targets!
Ugh! - Just great, nice difficulty curve and level passwords.
Millenium2.2 - Fairly easy atmospheric strategy game.
Old 12 October 2021, 20:09   #14
crazyc

Raid over Moscow - it kind of completes a story arc and is reasonably easy on the easy level (if I can do it.....)
Old 12 October 2021, 20:32   #15
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Fire Force - Slightly clunky but great fun run and gun, if you miss the helicopter, recover your MIA character by recompleting mission 1.4, rescue POWs.
Holy shit! I never knew this! Amazing

To the OP:What about Midnight Resistance, it's "do able".

I had a whole bunch of games to recommend to you then read you wanted more manageable titles of the run and gun variety.

**edit** It's difficult enough but there are level codes and generally is a great romp! - Virocop
Old 12 October 2021, 21:03   #16
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Just thought about it. If you never played it, 'Escape from Colditz' is worth the play.
Old 12 October 2021, 22:55   #17
Fiery Phoenix

Treasure Trap - especially if you loved Head Over Heels

Great puzzles, great exploration with a map in the game. Worth the time and effort and a nice ending screen too!
Old 13 October 2021, 00:18   #18
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Thanks again for al those nice recommendations!

I forgot to menton that I already finished wuiet a lot of games, and among them is Gods, Pang, Toki, Prince of Persia, Katakis, Hybris, Another World, Flashback, Superfrog, Shadow of the Beast III, Goldenm Axe and Treasure island Dizzy.

Push Over I *nearly* finished (got to level 98, I think?), and in Lost Vikings I never beat level 38, I think?

Sooo many games to try....the choice is hard....
But I think I will start with Brian the Lion. It has those password, and I still have one where I played almost all levels of the first world.
Old 13 October 2021, 04:23   #19
grelbfarlk

Someone play through Keef The Thief to the end for me, let me know if it's worth it. I couldn't finish it in the week I rented it as a kid.
Old 13 October 2021, 08:21   #20
jotd
This cat is no more

Raffles. I could never figure out some parts of the new puzzles.

So if you complete it, you can create a longplay (there isn't any longplay of the 16 bit version which has more screens than the 8 bit versions.)

so not sure if this is on topic