Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 June 2018, 14:06   #181
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
Would this be a fair comparison?

If Amiga and Atari ST were super cars, then Amiga would be Aston Martin and Atari ST would be Maserati. Superb quality cars, yet one clearly out shines the other.

TBH, if it wasn't for the Falcon then Atari ST would never have had a chance against Amiga.

I think if you was to blend both the A1200 and Falcon together, then you would have the ultimate 90's era 32 BIT computer.
you mean the X68000 ?
Old 15 June 2018, 14:08   #182
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
you mean the X68000 ?
Big box machine, is that really fair?
Old 15 June 2018, 14:58   #183
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

In 16bit terms, the X68000 is on a class of its own. Nothing comes close. Not even the FM-Towns (debatable, I know, but it's my opinion).

IMO, the Amiga is in a very worthy second place. And considering the relationship price-quality, it really has no contender at all. Contemporary Ataris, contemporary Apples, 16bit PCs (286) and even the NeXT Workstations, all lag behind.

If we consider the 32bit realm (the Archie is a full 32bit, unlike the aforementioned machines), then the competition gets a bit stiffer. The 32bit PC's we don't even need to mention and the 32bit Apples are almost like them, the Atari Falcon is a very worthy machine and even with the amount of hate that seems to proliferate around here, the Acorn Archimedes was also a very meritorious machine. It had immense raw CPU power (for the time) but unfortunately it lacked some other features. Imagine what could have been done had the Archie come with the Amiga Graphics and Audio Chipsets and a blittler. Or imagine if the Amiga had a 32bit RISC CPU with proper DMA. I think the X68000 wouldn't reign as supremely as it does...
Old 15 June 2018, 15:11   #184
MalikS
Banned

Quote:
Ok you don't seem to master english correctly, (oh surprising, since you're french Zarchos ahahah ).

Owners is a false friend. Owner just doesn't apply in the case "i own an amiga", but it also applies for a company boss, called a "Owner".

for instance Galahad of Fairlight has its own business, he is an "Owner", which means in french "Propriétaire" but more specifically "Patrons" for the case of Acorn.

A french guy who is calling me 12 years old when he doesn't know jack about english subtilities .

Just go buy yourself an english training here :

http://www.eab.fr/

Appalling and very bad English + numerous mistakes + low I.Q, poor phrasing + wrong understanding of what 'false friend' means :

What Are French False Friends (aka “Faux Amis”)?
When French words look like English words, they really ought to mean the same thing, oughtn’t they? Often they do, fortunately, but some words don’t play fair. And those are the faux amis, which literally translates to “false friends.” These words can easily trick you into getting the wrong end of the stick, or to say something senseless or embarrassing that you hadn’t intended at all.

https://www.fluentu.com/blog/french/...ends-cognates/

'Owner' is not a false friend, there is not a single French word looking like or pronounced like this one.

Go back to school (if you've ever been there, as you are so psychotic).
You are deplorable.

Last edited by MalikS; 15 June 2018 at 15:21.
Old 15 June 2018, 15:51   #185
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
If we consider the 32bit realm (the Archie is a full 32bit, unlike the aforementioned machines), then the competition gets a bit stiffer. The 32bit PC's we don't even need to mention and the 32bit Apples are almost like them, the Atari Falcon is a very worthy machine and even with the amount of hate that seems to proliferate around here, the Acorn Archimedes was also a very meritorious machine. It had immense raw CPU power (for the time) but unfortunately it lacked some other features. Imagine what could have been done had the Archie come with the Amiga Graphics and Audio Chipsets and a blittler. Or imagine if the Amiga had a 32bit RISC CPU with proper DMA. I think the X68000 wouldn't reign as supremely as it does...
The Acorn Archimedes had good CPU and .......... (sound of crickets chirping)... nothing else. Why would you add a blitter to a machine that can perform blit operations by the CPU, faster on 32 bit memory? It was RISC processor, so blitting had been natural for the system (producing empty screens). I still remember one advert for the Archimedes in the Greek Pixel magazine - "Emulates PC!". Oh, come on, was this it's best selling point - emulating another machine because the lack of native software.

It was intended for the education market, why it would need graphics? The same as Mac - at the beginning even the color for Mac was a secret project, because the education and DTP markets didn't need color at all.
Old 15 June 2018, 18:51   #186
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
'Owner' is not a false friend, there is not a single French word looking like or pronounced like this one.
Owner is a false friend. In french it means Propriétaire, and in english it means Boss (Patron in french).

Applied to our case, you're not the boss of Acorn, you're an Acorn computer user Zarchos !

Quote:
Go back to school (if you've ever been there, as you are so psychotic).
You are deplorable.
No, you got back to school to learn back your english. As many french, your english is crap'n'rubbish.

See you Zarchos, zealot of the crap Archimedes !
Old 15 June 2018, 19:34   #187
DamienD
Banned

Hello there MalikS,

...or should I say Zarchos

You've now been permanently banned again. Please don't bother re-registering under a different member name; we will find you.
Old 15 June 2018, 20:08   #188
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
IMO, the Amiga is in a very worthy second place. And considering the relationship price-quality, it really has no contender at all. Contemporary Ataris, contemporary Apples, 16bit PCs (286) and even the NeXT Workstations, all lag behind.
I agree strongly with this, the Amiga was always better somehow, even when I was using Atari ST and such like, they didn't appeal the same way.

Quote:
The 32bit PC's we don't even need to mention and the 32bit Apples are almost like them, the Atari Falcon is a very worthy machine and even with the amount of hate that seems to proliferate around here, the Acorn Archimedes was also a very meritorious machine.
I only ever saw one Archimedes and TBH it came across as more a Business machine rather than a home computer. The Macintosh was the same. Like I stated further up this thread, the only real competition side by side to Amiga, was the Falcon. Atari really got their S*** together with their final entry in the ST line. After all this, unfortunately, they were no better than Commodore at designing consoles!

Funny isn't it that both Amiga and Atari remained so close in everything they did. Right down to the fact, that both their last computer designs were games consoles.
Old 15 June 2018, 20:53   #189
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
In 16bit terms, the X68000 is on a class of its own. Nothing comes close. Not even the FM-Towns (debatable, I know, but it's my opinion).

If everything gets right, i will be this summer the proud user of an X68000 XVI, equipped with 4 mb of ram, a hard drive, a capcom fighter 6 buttons arcade stick, fully recapped, oiled and everything and dedicaded by a great japanese arcade game programmer

It will cost me 1091 euros all in all to make it coming here
Old 15 June 2018, 20:57   #190
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
If everything gets right, i will be this summer the proud user of an X68000 XVI, equipped with 4 mb of ram, a hard drive, a capcom fighter 6 buttons arcade stick, fully recapped, oiled and everything and dedicaded by a great japanese arcade game programmer

Lucky guy!
Old 15 June 2018, 21:03   #191
OmegaMax
Knight Of The Kingdom

Quote:
If everything gets right, i will be this summer the proud user of an X68000 XVI, equipped with 4 mb of ram, a hard drive, a capcom fighter 6 buttons arcade stick, fully recapped, oiled and everything

Nice,I'm jealous
Old 15 June 2018, 21:13   #192
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Lucky guy!
It will cost me an arm, but it's now or never
Old 15 June 2018, 21:20   #193
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Nice to see that some of us stop at nothing to make our retro hardware computer collection the ultimate! Very pleased for you. Nice investment too, that machine is like Amiga, it shall never depreciate only appreciate.
Old 17 June 2018, 18:29   #194
Pyromania

Will Amiga pass Apple again now that Apple is not updating their Mac's?
Old 17 June 2018, 22:12   #195
rare_j
Zone Friend

Yeah, we'll catch up on over 30 years of progress no probs. Only Amiga makes it possible.
Old 17 June 2018, 23:05   #196
Capitaine

We probably get into specs because we're older now.

But think again, what kind of scene there was / there is on Mac / Archimedes / X68000 / Neo Geo ?
Back in the time, we were teens, needing freedom, creativity, and having fun. Not specs.

That was what the scene was about.
And it happened on Atari, C64, Amiga.

PC and consoles later and do not really come close...
Old 18 June 2018, 08:25   #197
redblade
Zone Friend

I've only owned a Amiga and PC. But I think the atari did very well, 1Mb of ram and a 640x400 for under $1000 in the early 80s. I think if they had managed to get the Macintosh DTP software on it, it would of done some serious damage. I think what the Mac did with the networked printer was a smart idea. Buying 1 laser printer and sharing it with a bunch of other Macs would of seemed like a smart investment even if it was overpriced. I really do like the aesthetics of the Mac gui, it really did seem professional.

It is a shame that management ruined Amiga but I respect Atari for taking risks, dsp with the falcon, and the Atari Jaguar, the Atari Jaguar gamepad looked horrendous compared to the AmigaCD32 one. If the Amiga 3000 or Amiga 4000 was released with a dsp...
Old 18 June 2018, 09:28   #198
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post

It is a shame that management ruined Amiga but I respect Atari for taking risks, dsp with the falcon, and the Atari Jaguar, the Atari Jaguar gamepad looked horrendous compared to the AmigaCD32 one. If the Amiga 3000 or Amiga 4000 was released with a dsp...
The same way management ruined Atari tbh, just imagine a proper CD Jaguar with support from Amiga devs with a decent controller would have been the best combination of graphics and original games! As soon as they said its cartridge based it put it against the unstoppable Megadrive and SNES, and when devs heard it was Atari, they said seeya later!