English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 09 February 2024, 09:56   #1
sittingduck

Which games are better played from IPF/ADF than Whdload?

Having read the thread about an AGA-fixed version of the Lotus games, I began wondering if there are games that are better played using disk images than the whdload install.

Are there games that you choose to play from disk images? And why?
Old 09 February 2024, 10:04   #2
Octopus66

ADF/IPF is my preferred choice vs WHDLoad due to bug testing reasons. With WHDLoad you are essentially playing a beta version and too often in my experience the game will crash or fail at some point. The disk version will always have much greater volume of playtesting and with gotek drives my fear of floppy failure goes away.

Sometimes the WHDLoad version will offer something special and then I may use it.
Old 06 March 2024, 13:22   #3
FloLore

Hi Sittingduck,

Likewise, the adf/ipf version is the best choice if you want to play without bugs, but the whdload versions are preferable in cases of manual and code wheel protection. Another choice where the whdload version is the best choice, for compatibility with the 68030 or more, which in certain cases allows increased fluidity, or even increased speed which is welcome, as in usgold games (rolling thunder, black tiger) and 3D games.
Old 06 March 2024, 17:05   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The people replying above do not seem to be talking about real hardware? They are talking about emulation? If you emulate A500 then IPF/ADF may well offer you the best compatibility albeit with the least amount of flexibility.

In most circumstances on the real hardware you cannot run IPF/ADF because they don't run with the processor you have. Even if you run "degraders" and turn caches off etc. they don't work. Sometimes they do but a fair amount of time they don't. The only solution is WHDload or don't play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus66 View Post
With WHDLoad you are essentially playing a beta version
??? The WHDload installs are made using mainly IPF images. The only "beta" is the quality of the slave.

Last edited by alexh; 06 March 2024 at 17:31.
Old 06 March 2024, 17:19   #5
stx2199

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck View Post
Having read the thread about an AGA-fixed version of the Lotus games, I began wondering if there are games that are better played using disk images than the whdload install.

Are there games that you choose to play from disk images? And why?
I like to play some 1 disk games which are fast using floppies images, specially the games which have lot of trainers

ie lethal weapon,addams family, turrican 3,bc kid,turrican 2,alien bash,pp hammer , james pond 2 etc
Old 06 March 2024, 18:46   #6
SkulleateR

I only play from ADF/IPF if there is no WHDLoad Slave available
Old 06 March 2024, 18:58   #7
Amigajay

Not so much disk images, but if a game is hdd installable or can be manually installed to hdd then imo its better than a whdload install for a couple of reasons, one no memory overhead, and quicker loading.

Of course if a game is not compatible or has issues on your system then whdload is the way to go.
Old 06 March 2024, 19:03   #8
DanyPPC

WHDLoad for all life
Old 06 March 2024, 19:38   #9
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
The only solution is WHDload or don't play.
But back in the 90s we had these computers and no WHDLoad and play we did. There were AGA and other fixes and I don't remember being deprived of playing a game save for very, very few occasions.

Let's stop pretending WHDLoad is a one size fits all solution for everything. We played games before it existed.
Old 07 March 2024, 01:52   #10
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga1992 View Post
But back in the 90s we had these computers and no WHDLoad and play we did. There were AGA and other fixes and I don't remember being deprived of playing a game save for very, very few occasions.

Let's stop pretending WHDLoad is a one size fits all solution for everything. We played games before it existed.
By that measure, let's not pretend that floppy disks are a one size fits all solution, we used cassette tapes before floppies existed!

You remember a time with Rose tinted glasses, sure you played games on floppy when you were young with quite a bit more free time to waste, but let's not pretend that the first time you used a hard drive to load a game wasn't a special time, and that if more games supported hard drive installation back then that you wouldn't have embraced it as so many Amiga owners did with A600/A1200 because of how cheap it was to upgrade.

For you to deny that means you'd rather play Monkey Island 2 from floppy.......and that isn't remotely believable.
Old 07 March 2024, 04:10   #11
dreadnought

Quote:

I think he meant "whdload or don't play" in regard to A1200. It's still a hyperbole, of course, but considering that model it makes more sense.

I love WHDLoad but also agree it shouldn't be treated as a "final solution" for Amiga, since there are still problems with a lot of installs and slaves for some less popular games may have undiscovered bugs in them.
Old 07 March 2024, 06:20   #12
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Biing is better from a DOS installed version, because it supports DBLPAL resolution.
Old 07 March 2024, 07:35   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
For you to deny that means you'd rather play Monkey Island 2 from floppy.......and that isn't remotely believable.
I see your Monkey Island 2 and raise you a Beneath a Steel Sky!
Old 07 March 2024, 09:30   #14
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:

I’ve used WHDLOAD since 1996, that’s “back in the 90’s”. Before it, I used to use a combo of relokick and degrader.
Old 07 March 2024, 09:33   #15
kremiso

one / two disks games with an old kickstart 1.2/1.3 legacy i usually play them as in the old days

also some games that doesnt have a trainer in whdload

if the loadings/disk swap arent a pain then i go for the old way
Old 07 March 2024, 09:48   #16
ransom1122

I like the speed of buggy boy on my a500 disk. When I play whdload there are about 5 different speed options, which makes it hard to figure out which speed the disk runs at.

Hence why buggy boy on disk is good
Old 07 March 2024, 15:01   #17
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Where did I deny it? I said, literally, "let's stop pretending WHDLoad is a one size fits all solution for everything". it's not a one size fits all solution. It works a lot and sometimes it doesn't. Some people (not me, but go on, keep assuming) like to play from floppies for hours, some like to play 36 games in 30 minutes via WHDload installs.

for the record, I never played Monkey Island 2 on Amiga. why would I? I played it on PC as it was intended
Old 08 March 2024, 02:21   #18
Seiya

whdload is good for games that have various disk that you cannot install on Harddisk and that run bad on 68000@7 Mhz.
For 1 Disk games that run good on 7 Mhz and OCS chipset, WHDLoad isnt' the best choice.
Old 08 March 2024, 17:20   #19
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Where did I deny it? I said, literally, "let's stop pretending WHDLoad is a one size fits all solution for everything". it's not a one size fits all solution. It works a lot and sometimes it doesn't. Some people (not me, but go on, keep assuming) like to play from floppies for hours, some like to play 36 games in 30 minutes via WHDload installs.

for the record, I never played Monkey Island 2 on Amiga. why would I? I played it on PC as it was intended
Are you high ?
Old 08 March 2024, 20:21   #20
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Not so much disk images, but if a game is hdd installable or can be manually installed to hdd then imo its better than a whdload install for a couple of reasons, one no memory overhead, and quicker loading.

Of course if a game is not compatible or has issues on your system then whdload is the way to go.
I don't think it is better. Whdload version of HD games solves obsolet piracy protection for instance, and many other things like speed optimization, multi button support, trainers etc.

Whdload for users of real Amiga is really a one size fits all solution for everything indeed.

Even for one disk games.