English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 09 June 2024, 21:38   #1
Ridrok

I made a laptop from an A600 motherboard

Hello, It may have been unnoticed since I am a very small youtuber, but I made a 2.3 kg laptop from an Amiga 600, with battery lasting 3H, touch-pad, laptop keyboard with Amiga key placement and the best 4/3 screen I could find and of course (this is an Amiga) the sound..

There is a full playlist on my channel how I did it and all the problems I faced. It's in French but all video are English sub-titled.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...VkCycW0BwUon-j

Have fun, I have personally a lot of fun with this AmigaBook 600.

Last edited by Ridrok; 09 June 2024 at 22:12.
Old 09 June 2024, 21:51   #2
d4rk3lf

Very impressive my brother.

I just quickly browsed through videos, and I like that you tested Final Fight Enhanced. 3h battery is also very good. Furia, I think is also a very good choice... all in all.. great job.

So what are your plans with it?
Are you planning to manually assemble these for protentional customers? What would be the price?
Maybe try Aga version? CD32 should have pretty small motherboard, yet still support keyboard and all .

Keep up the great work.
Old 09 June 2024, 22:03   #3
Ridrok

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Very impressive my brother. I just quickly browsed through videos, and I like that you tested Final Fight Enhanced. 3h battery is also very good. Furia, I think is also a very good choice... all in all.. great job.
Many thanks, it took me months to find solutions to all problems.
Quote:
So what are your plans with it? Are you planning to manually assemble these for protentional customers? What would be the price?
No it would require many A600 motherboard which is not possible these days. If I get request, I can share the STL files but it's not something easy to build.I did meet Gunnar from Apollo last week in Switzerland, he may contact me to make a V4 laptop, but very unsure about that. I am also no very turned to new amiga, I prefer a lot old real hardware. So future will tell.
Quote:
Maybe try Aga version? CD32 should have pretty small motherboard, yet still support keyboard and all . Keep up the great work.
Same problem comes here, CD32 is not something easy to find nor cheap and on top of that, it does not have a keyboard port, so more to do.Thanks again, this was a project I had for so many years. I am very happy with it.
Old 09 June 2024, 22:11   #4
d4rk3lf

Yeah... I assumed it wouldn't be cheap.
Well.... you never know... maybe you get some orders that people are willing to fairly compensate your effort in finding A600 boards, assembling it all again, and deliver them laptop.

But even if that never happen, I am still very happy you achieved this.
Kudos!
Old 09 June 2024, 22:24   #5
Ridrok

Screen is an iPad 4 one, keyboard from a MacBook I bought to destroy it, touch-pad from a Dell laptop and some coding to convert PS/2 to quadrature, make a keyboard controller out of a Teensy....
For PS/2 touchpad : https://github.com/Neo2003/Amiga-PS2...-using-Arduino

For the keyboard controller I did use an existing program and changed it and the Teensy framework too to have only the keyboard device on USB, the source in linked to the video when I finished the laptop.
Old 09 June 2024, 22:34   #6
DisasterIncarna

ambitious, amazed it all fits in a decently small package.
Old 09 June 2024, 22:43   #7
Ridrok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
ambitious, amazed it all fits in a decently small package.
Your are right, that is quite busy inside

Old 10 June 2024, 04:19   #8
dreadnought

Where there's a will, there's a way...amazing stuff! I bet it'd yield a pretty peny on ebay too
Old 10 June 2024, 09:46   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Congratulations. Looks great (if a little chunky). Certainly very cool. Reminds me of the first Amiga 600 laptop the Suzanne. But this is great because you've described the process and others could attempt it.

If you or anyone else are ever doing one of these again a Pistorm16 CM4 + Framethrower ECS (when they become available) might be better option than Furia + RGB2HDMI

Last edited by alexh; 10 June 2024 at 09:57.
Old 10 June 2024, 11:44   #10
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Watched all video to see the whole process. It was a pleasure that it's on FR .
Given the material you have for such modding this is something I can only dream and not do myself.
At the end, it is really impressive that, height excepted, it is not bigger than a modern laptop.
The HAM demo, Billy Idol (?) song and dj h0ffman mod were good choice for the presentation. Maybe next time add some AsmTwo/One session . One thing maybe, on the last video, it is not understandable if the sound comes from the integrated speakers or from the loudspeakers we see on the table ?
KUDOS for the work done !!!
Old 10 June 2024, 12:26   #11
New Sky

Hello,

Great work !

A real, very well made portable Amiga !

I'll watch the videos...

Last edited by New Sky; 10 June 2024 at 17:32.
Old 10 June 2024, 17:50   #12
Ridrok

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Congratulations. Looks great (if a little chunky). Certainly very cool. Reminds me of the first Amiga 600 laptop the Suzanne. But this is great because you've described the process and others could attempt it.
Many thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
If you or anyone else are ever doing one of these again a Pistorm16 CM4 + Framethrower ECS (when they become available) might be better option than Furia + RGB2HDMI
I have another regular A600 with a pistorm in. I did not plan a pistom in this build because Furia with 68020 is consuming less, give enough speed for me and you don't have to touch any config in WHDLoad apart from the quit key since 68020 is 100% compatible. Moreover I did add Help and PrintScr, so even keys don't miss.

Anyway if a moderator could please merge both threads, it would be better, I did create 2 by mistake.
Old 10 June 2024, 17:56   #13
Ridrok

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
Where there's a will, there's a way...amazing stuff! I bet it'd yield a pretty peny on ebay too
I don't plan in selling it I was offered the motherboard and the furia and even with this it did cost me around 700€ to build it, but this includes some parts I did buy and not used, like keyboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
One thing maybe, on the last video, it is not understandable if the sound comes from the integrated speakers or from the loudspeakers we see on the table ?
Until the HAMazing demo, I was capturing the big speakers on top of the ones from the Amiga. Starting from the demo, it's a capture from the Amiga audio output on the Cinch.

You can listen the included speakers in previous video, they are clean but not powerful enough to capture the sound with my studio microphone.
Old 10 June 2024, 19:02   #14
Megalomaniac

That's pretty cool. There's no way an Amiga laptop was practical with 1992 technology (Atari's two attempts at a portable ST both took massive compromises and cost more than practical for most people, and the Amiga's custom chips will have been more power-hungry) but it's lovely to experiment in this day and age.

It could be practical to market it too - I don't have €700 to spare for something relatively luxurious, but maybe some of us do nowadays - and who's to say you couldn't get some economies of scale if you make 5 or 10? It probably wouldn't take anywhere near 9 months to source the hardware and replicate the design either.
Old 10 June 2024, 19:29   #15
paraj

Wow, very nice project dude! But where is the numpad? (j/k)
Old 10 June 2024, 19:57   #16
Ridrok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
who's to say you couldn't get some economies of scale if you make 5 or 10? It probably wouldn't take anywhere near 9 months to source the hardware and replicate the design either.
I did not plan to make another one or 5. The problem is to find motherboards. Then after I will have to recap them and probably repair them. The cost to make one is probably around 800€ and a lot of time. So I would have to sell them 1000€+ and I will be hated, I am sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraj View Post
Not enough space, the size of it is like a regular MacBook expect the high.But since I had to write the keyboard controller, I did assign Help, PrintScr to F11 and F12.
Old 10 June 2024, 20:51   #17
AMike

What monitor do you use for this laptop? Looks great btw.
Old 10 June 2024, 20:55   #18
eXeler0

Wow that was a nice challenge -project.
Congrats for actually completing it. Great job
Old 10 June 2024, 21:02   #19
Ridrok

An iPad 4 screen
Old 10 June 2024, 22:04   #20
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraj View Post
If anyone ever remakes the A600 keyboard they should totally add a FUNCTION key to add keypad as a 3rd function on existing keys.