English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 20 February 2022, 21:48   #81
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitm4n View Post
Hey enigma776. What do you mean? Can you be a bit more specific on the issues please, what have you noticed? Thx.
Resolution things. Do a comparison and you will see it.
Old 20 February 2022, 22:05   #82
hitm4n

Hi. Do you mean windowed mode at 720x568 on Damiens and 720x576 on mine? Damien posted instructions on taking screenshots and stated 720x576 grabbing from windowed mode. I've adhered to this.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=106

Yet almost all of his resultant screenshots are at 568. I don't know why his configs are this way or his pics are all slightly smaller. It just means he has 8 pixels less blackspace round the border than mine do. Something to do with the red outline that the gui adds maybe?

Or do you mean something else?
Old 20 February 2022, 22:11   #83
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:
Hi. Do you mean windowed mode at 720x568 on Damiens and 720x576 on mine? Damien posted instructions on taking screenshots and stated 720x576 grabbing from windowed mode. I've adhered to this.

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=106

Yet almost all of his resultant screenshots are at 568. I don't know why his configs are this way or his pics are all slightly smaller. It just means he has 8 pixels less blackspace round the border than mine do. Something to do with the red outline that the gui adds maybe?

Or do you mean something else?
You probably shouldn't be using DirectDraw, and none of your config files will work properly on a res less than 1920x1080.
Old 20 February 2022, 23:21   #84
hitm4n

Hi enigma776. Have you installed my packs? Do they work okay for you or?

Resolution issues are easily resolved with host and hardware override files. This is what i do to override Damiens settings and this is what you can do to override mine if you need to.

Damien has posted good instructions on using overrides in his megathread but i can repost here if needs be.

Enjoy the extra games
More coming soon.
Old 21 February 2022, 14:30   #85
Dunny

Your graphics options are off. Using DirectDraw fails hard and I have to go through and change to Direct3D to get any display at all.
Old 21 February 2022, 15:30   #86
hitm4n

Thanks Dunny. I can change them all to Direct3D again and put the DirectDraw override into my own host/hardware files. I'll get them all fixed this evening and roll those first 4 packs into 1 and re-upload.

Any other issues noticed?
Old 21 February 2022, 17:56   #87
mad

@hitm4n
Resolution issues are NOT easily resolved with host and hardware override files.

Doing that will then mess up all DD's configurations, as he has two different resolutions set;
which keep the correct aspect ratio:
640 x 480 [for games that are 320x200]
720 x 576 [for games that are 320x256]

So it's impossible to use / set just one "Host" file in order to handle the 2 x different resolutions.

To avoid problems, it's best to keep all games you add to this same resolution standard.

i also can't use any of your packs without editing the config files, due to your resolution settings being higher than my monitor limits.

best to sort it out now, before adding the hundreds of games on your todo list.
Old 21 February 2022, 19:25   #88
hitm4n

Hi mad. Your comments have made me check again and i think i can now see where the issue is. My configs actually use the same resolutions as Damiens configs. When i create these i load one of Damiens config files, change the disc and then save it back out under the new name. I load the game, check it works, drop into windowed mode and have to reduce the scaling from 2xHor and 2xVer to 1x to grab the title and gameplay screenshots at the correct resolutions. Without DirectDraw i get weird looking "sort of" scanlines and the screenshots are horrible. With DirectDraw its all good for me. I can get round this, and fix my configs to be Direct3D and simply add the DirectDraw option to my own host/hardware overrides, so i think thats easily fixed for other people. Sometimes i have to fiddle with whether its AGA or OCS and change kickstarts, but not very often. So in theory, all my configs should match Damiens.

But i do use these overrides on my own setup to force 2xVertical and 2xHorizontal (Because my desktop res is 1920x1080, much bigger, i have to scale the games up to fit. Plus various other tweaks to make it right for me), and i think these scaling options are being saved into the base config files as well. I didn't think this would happen but it's good to be learning this stuff along the way and fix it early on...

Upon doing a compare, heres part of my Jelly Othelly config...
Code:
gfx_display=0
gfx_display_rtg=0
gfx_framerate=1
gfx_width=720
gfx_height=576
gfx_top_windowed=0
gfx_left_windowed=0
gfx_width_windowed=720
gfx_height_windowed=576
gfx_width_fullscreen=720
gfx_height_fullscreen=576
gfx_refreshrate=0
And the same part of Damiens from a recent addition, Poker Nights...
Code:
gfx_display=0
gfx_framerate=1
gfx_width=720
gfx_height=568
gfx_width_windowed=720
gfx_height_windowed=568
gfx_width_fullscreen=720
gfx_height_fullscreen=576
gfx_refreshrate=0
So to me theres nothing wrong here... who's counting 8 pixels...

The next part is where i think it goes wrong...
Damiens, from Poker Nights again...
Code:
gfx_vsync=false
gfx_lores=false
gfx_linemode=double
gfx_fullscreen_amiga=true
gfx_fullscreen_picasso=false
gfx_center_horizontal=smart
gfx_center_vertical=smart
gfx_colour_mode=32bit
gfx_blacker_than_black=false
gfx_api=direct3d
And mine, Jelly Othelly again...
Code:
gfx_vsync=false
gfx_vsyncmode=normal
gfx_vsync_picasso=false
gfx_vsyncmode_picasso=normal
gfx_lores=false
gfx_resolution=hires
gfx_lores_mode=normal
gfx_flickerfixer=false
gfx_linemode=double
gfx_fullscreen_amiga=fullwindow
gfx_fullscreen_picasso=false
gfx_center_horizontal=smart
gfx_center_vertical=smart
gfx_colour_mode=32bit
gfx_blacker_than_black=false
gfx_api=directdraw
gfx_api_options=hardware
gfx_filter_vert_zoom_multf=2.000000
gfx_filter_horiz_zoom_multf=2.000000
So here, Damien uses fullscreen, i use fullscreenwindow. And i have those 2 vert zoom and horiz zoom options set to 2.

I'm hoping i can remove those lines, place them in my overrides (actually, those 2 lines are already in my overrides) and once again, it'll be fixed for you lot and still work great for me too.

I'm on it. Now that i've sussed it out (hopefully), i will repack, remove those 2x lines, go back to direct3d and hopefully everything works for you guys, including Damien

But i will say this. As much as you guys have issues here, i have had feedback that these configs, and my overrides as they stand now, work great for others. In the same way that Damien has only ever set the pack up his way, for his screen resolutions, i am setting these packs up my way for my resolutions and then sharing it. Who doesn't want more games in the collection? 1080p is hardly bleeding edge either. I run this whole shebang on my 65" 4K Sony Bravia and Amiga gaming has never looked so good

I can concede though that the options that are messing things up for you guys don't need to be in the configs, so have no problem fixing these.

So... I am now going to make those changes and reupload.
Should only take a few mins. BRB
Old 21 February 2022, 20:02   #89
hitm4n

OK, its done. Rolled the 4 packs into a single download.

"DamienDs WinUAE - Hitm4ns Addon Pack 1-4.zip" and uploaded to Turrans.

You only need to replace the config files, no file renaming has been done and no games have been altered.

Very keen to hear how things are now for you all. "mad", "Dunny", "Enigma776" and "DD" if he's in your ears.

Hopefully, we're all good now on the configs and i can get back to adding more packs I have a list now of 72 more games i want to add in. Heres just a few of them...

Academy: Tau Ceti 2
ATF II - Advanced Tactical Fighter II
Boulder Däsh
Championship Manager '94: End Of Season Edition
Floaty
Footballer Of The Year 2
Jumping' Jack
Player Manager
Zerberk

Also keen to get feedback from others since the changes too. Have i now broken it for other peoples setups?

And i am still up for taking requests. If you don't have a hotline to Damien and would like something added to the collection please post here and i'll consider them. I'm sure Damien will see the requests too, i will also keep an eye on the "request for gems" thread.

Thanks, and enjoy.
Old 22 February 2022, 11:34   #90
Dunny

Just a point of interest - DD has optimised all his configs for a minimum resolution of 1366x768 (still the lowest common denominator laptop panel I guess) so you should probably aim for the same, if for no other reason than to remain compatible

Edit: DD has informed me that his configs will look good at any resolution (rather than a minimum of 1366x768) so they're even better than that:

Quote:
My configs will work on any resolution. The important thing is this:

... 640 x 480 [for games that are 320x200]
... 720 x 576 [for games that are 320x256]
So hope that helps with future endeavours

Last edited by Dunny; 22 February 2022 at 15:40.
Old 22 February 2022, 13:59   #91
hitm4n

I have changed back to Direct3D, taken away the 2 scaling lines and used the exact same base resolutions (720x576) as Damien does in his configs. Unless there is another glaring config issue that is making the games display in a weird way for people then i'm happy with them at this point.

Damiens configs do not reference 1366x768 at all so i'm not sure how he's "targetting" that other than its his laptops screen res and he sets "fullscreen". As best as i understand it, if you set a resolution of 720x576 (windowed), for a game, and then select fullscreenwindowed, then it is just scaling up to whatever yours (mine, or anyones) desktop resolution is set to. Whether that is 800x600 or 3840x2160.

Everyone wins and one size fits all... Correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm keen to hear how it works for YOU now, do the games fill the screen? And if not, any tips on what to change within the configs to make them right for anyone, on any desktop screensize. Remember, the base config for mine is 720x576, if that's too much for someones machine, they really need to think about an upgrade.
Old 22 February 2022, 18:52   #92
vulture

Ok, DamienD has read all your posts hitm4n and asked me to post this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My configuration files use 2 x resolutions depending on the game; you can read all about it here:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=3242

These work no matter what your desktop resolution is set at; that's the whole point.

Do not use "DirectDraw", it's obsolete and should never be used. Filters / masks / overlays / scanlines / extra settings won't work. Toni has said this multiple times; and even quite recently in threads under "support.WinUAE".

If you insist on only using one resolution i.e. 720 x 576, then what you need to do instead is as follows:

Re: setting 2x "Horiz. size" and 2 x "Vert. size"... this is totally unnecessary and is why people are having issues with your configs. This will not display correctly on any resolution under 1920x1020.

Under "Display" set "Fullscreen" --> "Native".

Under "Filters" set:

... "Integer scaling" --> "1/8"
... "Point/Bilinear" --> "1"

Setting all of the above gets rid of that "scanline" you were talking about when using "Direct3D"

With the above you can now re-set "Direct3D"

Finally, you haven't included any "Boxart" with your games. If you cannot find any / there are none available then copy the "N/A Not Available" template I made from "\<gamedir>\8bit Killer AGA" to the new <gamedir>.

Anyway, that's enough help from me...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by vulture; 22 February 2022 at 20:08.
Old 22 February 2022, 21:35   #93
hitm4n

So i've written this retort post about 3 times over now. Answering his points politely in one version, getting angry and telling him to stuff off in another, exclaiming "bullying by proxy" in another. I'll try to keep it brief however. As last time, this is not a direct reply to him, this is for forum members here who are interested in my game packs and who are willing to assist with getting configs right. Not by DD proxy.

I will assume he hasn't seen the most recent post where i've already made the scaling and directdraw changes so most of it is useless waffle.

Unlike Damien, i do not read every thread here every day, nor have i been here for 15+ years. I have never said i am a WinUAE expert and i'm just setting what works for me and hopefully others can use the packs. I'm willing to make changes, as already demonstrated.

If anyone doesn't want more games in the mix, don't download them. If the games don't work for you and you don't want to solve the config issues or give some constructive feedback then delete them please and move along.

However, if you are prepared to give some constructive feedback and help out with tips on the configs, then please do. I'm all ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD
Under "Display" set "Fullscreen" --> "Native".
Under "Filters" set:
... "Integer scaling" --> "1/8"
... "Point/Bilinear" --> "1"
So this is the useful bit of Damiens proxy post but comes with no explanation. Seems interesting to me though, i didn't think DD used any scaling and filter options? I would like to understand why these options are good to use with the 720x576 resolution and how resolutions are affected by "native" fullscreen or just "fullscreen" or "fullscreenwindow". How the stretching works to make that 720x576 amiga game screen fill my 1920x1080 desktop. Why then, have i ended up in my own setups, using 2xScaling and fullscreenwindow to achieve a crisp full game on my 1920x1080p monitor? Am i doing it all wrong? WinUAE config has always been a bit of a dark art for me and i'd love to learn a bit more and i'd like to understand what these options do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD
Finally, you haven't included any "Boxart" with your games. If you cannot find any / there are none available then copy the "N/A Not Available" template I made from "\<gamedir>\8bit Killer AGA" to the new <gamedir>.
Everyone, i can assure you i have heard of Google and i know how it works. I can find boxart just fine. However, i won't. I don't care for it and i won't be adding it. If thats a deal breaker for anyone downloading my pack, once again, don't bother and move along.

Finally, for this evenings update on progress. I have finalised the list of games i wish to add (currently 75). I have sourced all the various ADF versions of each game from my TOSEC backup and i am just trying to source the last few games that aren't in TOSEC. Once collected i can start building the packs again. I may do all 75 in one go and bundle in the first 1-4 pack and then release it all as one. I reckon it'll be around 100 games and 100mb by the end.

In the meantime i can get feedback on the currently released pack and work on making it better. Now back to collecting the games.
Old 23 February 2022, 03:44   #94
Radertified

Quote:
WinUAE config has always been a bit of a dark art for me and i'd love to learn a bit more and i'd like to understand what these options do.
I'm not saying don't learn what they do, because you absolutely should know why things are how they are, but wouldn't it make sense to use Damien's settings? This is an area where, through research and lots of trial and error, he knows more than most of us. Seems logical to just use his settings because you know they're going to work everywhere.
Old 23 February 2022, 09:57   #95
hitm4n

Guys i'm not going to change the settings just to match Damiens no matter how much he's whinging in the background. He needs to get a grip and leave me be and do his own thing. Where is the issue if the settings work for YOU?

Dunny is the only one who has specified its not working and where the issue was and i've updated that. I would have to assume then that he's using the pack and with no further comment that its now working since the DirectDraw change? Dunny, would love to hear back on the latest pack version. Cheers.

enigma776's "resolution things, go look" is not useful to me and didn't even state whether the game pack actually worked for him or not. That one really gave me the impression he was just passing here as a proxy for Damien.

enigma776, are you using my addon? Do the games work? If not, why not? Please post some screenshots if resolutions are way off. Thanks.

Everyone else is just saying "match Damiens". Well i won't, not just for the sake of it.
I understood the problem with the DirectDraw and the 2xScaling and i've had no issue changing those. But i won't change things just because Damien wants it or "that's how Damien does it". He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy.

My configs now have only minor differences to DDs. I'm using the same base resolution as his and unless you can tell me its not working for you and help out with why, post screenshots etc. then they are staying as they are.

My games and configs work fine for me and i know work fine for some other people too (who dare not speak out and i understand why). These configs won't force you into 1920x1080 any more and i'm glad i made those changes so more people can use the pack. I wouldn't release them if i didn't want people to be able to use them.

So. Do they work for YOU (collectively)?

I didn't have time last night, i was still hunting for games, but i will be trying Damiens suggested config settings for myself tonight and will try to learn what's going on and why they are good to use. If they prove useful in the base configs and/or negate the need for me to use overrides, then i will for sure use them and re-release.
Old 23 February 2022, 19:01   #96
hitm4n

OK. I have removed my overrides and here is WinUAE using just Damiens untouched configs. This is an untouched clean install from his download and demonstrates why my configs are the way they are... for me.

2571 - about to load 3DPool
2572 - Game is loaded and is stretched too wide
2573 - Press F12 for GUI and its all offscreen

Why is the GUI huge?
Why is the game stretched?

I have a dual monitor desktop, 2 identical monitors connected by DVI, both at 1920x1080.

I am trying to use Damiens configs, i really am, but they don't work right for me and all setting suggested do not work right. Not even Damiens own configs work right.

Anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_2571.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	74786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_2572.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	485.2 KB
ID:	74787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_2573.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	74788  
Old 23 February 2022, 19:20   #97
hitm4n

And in comparison... with my overrides added back in...

2574 - About to load 3DPool
2576 - Loading page. Beautifully presented on screen
2578 - Game loaded, notice the half size drive LEDs
2579 - Pressed F12 and GUI is normal size

Now if you were me, which configs would you be using?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Img_2574.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	555.6 KB
ID:	74789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_2576.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	386.1 KB
ID:	74790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_2578.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	74791   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_2579.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	462.5 KB
ID:	74792  
Old 23 February 2022, 21:07   #98
liveevil
Custom User Title

This was a link from Page 1 of Damien's thread -

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...postcount=3242

Maybe it relates to your issue ? (The line highlighted in red). I think you have to add the custom resolution to your graphics settings. If this is not related then forget I said anything !

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1215242&postcount=2
Old 23 February 2022, 21:16   #99
enigma776
Bringer of Death

Quote:

enigma776's "resolution things, go look" is not useful to me and didn't even state whether the game pack actually worked for him or not. That one really gave me the impression he was just passing here as a proxy for Damien.

Nope not even in the slights, I was being obtuse on purpose otherwise you would not have learnt anything, as people have said their is method in the madness of why he chose this resolution. As you have said you are not winuae expert and with gentle nudging you would have learnt something.

Don't get me wrong they all work for me but I have the screen real estate but the way the other configs were done means they work for everybody not just those with the screen size to pull it off.

enigma776, are you using my addon? Do the games work? If not, why not? Please post some screenshots if resolutions are way off. Thanks.

Yes I am, been slowly getting through it, as I have said I have the screen space to pull it off but I still say the setup should be the same as the other configs.
As you can see 3D Pool is in the right aspect and looks how it should, I have a sneaking suspicion you have messed with the config somewhere or an override has taken some settings. It looks perfectly fine on my screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3D Pool (1989)(Firebird)_001.png
Views:	91
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	74797  
Old 23 February 2022, 22:07   #100
hitm4n

I haven't messed with the configs, as i said, this is a clean install of Damiens pack and i'm using unmodified files. I moved the host/hardware files out of the WinUAE folder completely, its not loading those. It can't.

Your image is 4:3 ratio. Are you using a 4:3 ratio monitor? Try Damiens games ona widescreen monitor. If you aren't using a 4:3 monitor, then wheres the black bars on either side of the screen... Like my images?