English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 March 2024, 13:43   #1
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Krogharr (new OCS 512k/512k game by Tigerskunk)

Since the game is not exactly a prototype anymore, I think it deserves its own real thread here now...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-09 um 16.44.53.png
Views:	669
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	81784  
Old 10 March 2024, 13:44   #2
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

This evening (march, 10th) at 7pm, I will be join Amiga Bill on his Twitch stream for him to give the first demo a run.

Would love to see you guys joining us...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amigabill.jpeg
Views:	651
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	81785  
Old 10 March 2024, 16:02   #3
lmimmfn

Thanks mate for the reminder of you being on Bills stream showcasing Krogharr, had completely forgotten, look forward to it
Old 10 March 2024, 19:18   #4
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

@lmimmfn nice!

We are in the show now.. Roondar and me representing EAB...
Old 10 March 2024, 20:32   #5
phx
Natteravn

I like it! Visually absolutely impressive. Good choice of pallettes. Looks like the next Amiga game highlight!
Old 10 March 2024, 20:48   #6
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
I like it! Visually absolutely impressive. Good choice of pallettes. Looks like the next Amiga game highlight!
Thanks phx...
Old 11 March 2024, 01:16   #7
lmimmfn

Looks fantastic mate, can't wait to play it.
Can I recommend some improvements, please take with a pinch of salt:
1. The slashes, would prefer if not solid colour and pixels in that colour or with gradient if possible.
2. Not sure if you have enough dma available but to copperlist the sky with 3-5 colours to brighten it up for DP. Realise this might impact cloud colours
3. Use of colour changes to animate the background, e.g. basic fires in villages just changing colours or with dragon
4. At the very bottom if any dma free to use for a foreground parallax layer like posts etc.

Please don't take the above as something needed but mores nice to have.
Old 11 March 2024, 01:30   #8
tarr

From what I've seen in the Amiga Bill stream this game took a lot of inspiration from DaemonClaw by BitBeam Cannon. Expecially regarding the flying powerups and the uppercut jumps.
Old 11 March 2024, 11:22   #9
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarr View Post
From what I've seen in the Amiga Bill stream this game took a lot of inspiration from DaemonClaw by BitBeam Cannon. Expecially regarding the flying powerups and the uppercut jumps.
Since you took it on you to post this in both, this new AND the old thread, here is the same reply I wrote in the other thread :

Quote:
Actually we both took inspiration from "Black Belt" on the Sega Master system, which is a favorite game of Michael Parent and mine both. We had a fun chat about this game a few years ago, and how we are both big fans of it.

Plus, if you check my FB page, you can see that I had mockups of this already around 2018/19.

See here...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 March 2024, 11:28   #10
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
1. The slashes, would prefer if not solid colour and pixels in that colour or with gradient if possible.
2. Not sure if you have enough dma available but to copperlist the sky with 3-5 colours to brighten it up for DP. Realise this might impact cloud colours
3. Use of colour changes to animate the background, e.g. basic fires in villages just changing colours or with dragon
4. At the very bottom if any dma free to use for a foreground parallax layer like posts etc.

Please don't take the above as something needed but mores nice to have.
All fine and I am ALWAYS open for feedback and recommendations in this stage of game design.

Not sure about the slashes. You mean you'd prefer them dithered?

The other stuff would be very difficult to include now, since the screen runs at a very custom special way of using the copper to get all that color into the game, plus using up all of Chip Mem already and not too much DMA time left to be honest..

And I don't want to jinx it by changing it up too much...

Old 11 March 2024, 14:09   #11
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post

I agree with this. Watching the demo on Amiga Bill's stream last night, I first thought the protagonist was waving a white sheet or flag or something
Old 11 March 2024, 18:44   #12
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Congrats for the progress @Tigerskunk!
And awesome stream yesterday!

Regarding the slash effects, I would personally advise against dithering. This definitely won't 'cure' the issue people see (rather than make it look worse). The effect needs to animate in order not to look like a flag, i.e. start with the big shape and then make it smaller within the next couple frames before removing it completely. From what I see, this is exactly how it was setup in the following early video (at least for the big upper jumping slash).

[ Show youtube player ]

I'm guessing you had to make cutbacks due to ram restrictions, right? If this is the case, have you considered separating the effects themselves from the hero frames? In the case of the upper jump slash f.e. you could separate the effect plus the sword so you don't need to burn ram for the hero's body which remains unchanged.
Old 11 March 2024, 19:43   #13
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Congrats for the progress @Tigerskunk!
And awesome stream yesterday!
Thanks, Tsak... Much appreciated...

Quote:
I'm guessing you had to make cutbacks due to ram restrictions, right?
Yep, true.. Okay, now I understand what the problem is..
Thanks for pointing it out and explaining, guys...

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 11 March 2024 at 21:52.
Old 11 March 2024, 21:43   #14
Reido

Just watched the stream there now, looks great and looking forward to playing, keep up the good work!
Old 11 March 2024, 22:07   #15
CCRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarr View Post
Well... I, for one, wouldn't mind it, considering that all DaemonClaw's attention is now towards the Mega Drive version (to the point it'll not surprise me if the Amiga version ends up ditched).
Old 11 March 2024, 22:55   #16
Torti-the-Smurf

Some over the top comical violence would sweeten the deal and RED would really "pop" , i think

When BEER is full, he goes into absolute "Berserk mode"

Just an Idea
Old 11 March 2024, 23:18   #17
AmigaBill

Thanks so much for coming on the stream Tigerskunk and for bringing Jeroen. I had a blast with you as always. I know not everyone likes to go on Twitch so here is a YouTube link to the stream and it goes directly to your segment bypassing my opening blah blah blah [ Show youtube player ] I had so much fun playing Krogarr. I had to force myself not to play after doing a quick test the night before to make sure it worked. I also hadn't played Invyya in a while so we whipped it out at the end of the stream and had a great time with it again. It is topps

Last edited by AmigaBill; 11 March 2024 at 23:43.
Old 12 March 2024, 07:43   #18
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

Nice work and love the graphics
Old 12 March 2024, 07:52   #19
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaBill View Post
Thanks so much for coming on the stream Tigerskunk and for bringing Jeroen. I had a blast with you as always. I know not everyone likes to go on Twitch so here is a YouTube link to the stream and it goes directly to your segment bypassing my opening blah blah blah [ Show youtube player ] I had so much fun playing Krogarr. I had to force myself not to play after doing a quick test the night before to make sure it worked. I also hadn't played Invyya in a while so we whipped it out at the end of the stream and had a great time with it again. It is topps
Thanks, Bill!

Much appreciated...
Old 12 March 2024, 08:10   #20
jurassicman

Quote:
(...)
Regarding the slash effects, I would personally advise against dithering. This definitely won't 'cure' the issue people see (rather than make it look worse). The effect needs to animate in order not to look like a flag, i.e. start with the big shape and then make it smaller within the next couple frames before removing it completely. From what I see, this is exactly how it was setup in the following early video (at least for the big upper jumping slash).
(...)
@Tigerskunk
Congrats on the great job!

I'm not a programmer so I can't give any advice but I agree with Tsak when he says that in the early video the sword "looked better", I'm sure you'll find a way to achieve that.

Keep up the good work!