English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 13 May 2021, 14:28   #1
Brick Nash
Prototron

Image flipping/draw direction

Hi folks!

My current exercise is trying to flip/mirror an image so that it faces the other way. I've managed to successfully flip the pixels in the bytes, but the Blitter is drawing them in the wrong order.

As you can see from my test sprite/bob in the link below, the first image is the regular, un-flipped sprite, the second one is what I have at the moment with only the bytes reversed, and the third one is just the test sprite which was flipped in Dpaint and imported that way.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xh7...ew?usp=sharing

When I did this on the Amstrad CPC I just set the horizontal screen drawing to "dec" instead of "inc" and it drew the bytes from right to left instead of left to right.

However, I can't quite figure out how to do this on the Amiga. I tried descending mode but that draws upward from the bottom right, and I think I need it to draw downward from the Top Right.

Would it be better to store the bytes in reverse order instead of just shunting them back into where they were after flipping?

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Picture below
Old 13 May 2021, 15:27   #2
ross
Defendit numerus

Best way: do it with the CPU, you can find fast methods with a search on EAB.
Theoretically you can do it with the blitter too, but too slow and convoluted.

DESC mode is global, so what you want to do can't work.

You could, after having inverted the bits inside the word (not bytes!), copy in the front buffer one column at a time (using the modulo in an appropriate way for source and destination), but ... forget it ... flip the whole image at once and do a normal blit.
Old 13 May 2021, 15:41   #3
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

You need to flip the byte order too for each line, as well as the bits within each byte
Old 13 May 2021, 16:37   #4
Brick Nash
Prototron

Thanks for the replies!

That's great, I wasn't sure which direction to go but that's made things clearer. I was fighting with the Blitter for a day or so there trying to get it to draw in the other direction, but I'll just focus on preparing a proper image for it.
Old 13 May 2021, 23:08   #5
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

The thing you did on the CPC was reversing the direction of EITHER the source or destination pointer. When you set the blitter to DESC mode, you reverse the direction of both/all pointers