English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 April 2019, 21:18   #1
albino

Swiv vs super swiv

As i got my freshly arrived everdrive megadrive, i can now make my mind on games ported on megadrive as well as amiga!
AS I Launched super swiv on megadrive..Very pleased to find out that amiga swiv is much much better than his console counter part?..

I dare anyone out there to tell me the opposite..
Old 12 April 2019, 00:38   #2
Seiya

Mega Swiv for MEgadrive. Super Swiv is SuperNES
Old 12 April 2019, 00:41   #3
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

For me SWIV is better than both Mega SWIV and Super SWIV, but maybe that's just the nostalgia speaking...
Old 12 April 2019, 01:04   #4
Seiya

Mega Swiv has music that enhance gameplay and more Coin-op action. Amiga is totaly silent in music and classic amiga shoot'em up with, however, nice graphics design.
Old 12 April 2019, 07:23   #5
Hewitson

Give me Mega SWIV any day.
Old 12 April 2019, 11:45   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
Mega Swiv has music that enhance gameplay and more Coin-op action. Amiga is totaly silent in music and classic amiga shoot'em up with, however, nice graphics design.
I kind of like that actually, since the Amiga versions of both Silkworm and Swiv have really epic sound effects. Music not needed, just explosions explosions explosions.
Old 12 April 2019, 11:54   #7
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I kind of like that actually, since the Amiga versions of both Silkworm and Swiv have really epic sound effects. Music not needed, just explosions explosions explosions.
Yeah same for me. The absence of music gives the game a different vibe and darker atmosphere. Also, the excellent SFX are even more defined as result, especially the mega explosion sound when big things explode.. Then there's the calm before the storm parts, followed by more intense blasting
Old 12 April 2019, 12:01   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Heck yeah. Proof that moments of silence don't only work for horror games.

If I compare that with for example Raptor: Call of Shadows, that's another SHMUP with really insane sound effects. But it has a calm little adlib diddy in the background, so in the moments of silence the anticipation for the next wave is not really raised at all, it becomes a moment of relaxation.
Old 12 April 2019, 14:26   #9
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Interesting discussion. I never pondered about it, but it's actually true. Sound (and music) really do help to make or break a SHMUP. I also prefer the eerily quiet Amiga version of SWIV than the hectic Mega SWIV. Never really quite understood why, but I think that both graphics AND sound play a major role. I also remember a budget SHMUP that I played back in the day - Codemaster's "Violator" - which was actually quite OK as a budget SHMUP, but the default bullets had such a ridiculous sound that it ended up hindering the whole experience. The same exact game with a different shooting sound would have been a lot better. Comes to show just how important sound is. And as for silence? Yes... sometimes it's far more effective than music.
Old 12 April 2019, 14:36   #10
Seiya

Lacking music seems Amiga version to much serious game. MEgadrive version indeed an action that music give you the right rithm. But both version has own gameplay and so you have fun with both.
Old 13 April 2019, 20:08   #11
Hillsy_

The Amiga Version is by FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR the better game. No discussion needed.
Old 13 April 2019, 22:25   #12
Seiya

however, if i have to play Swiv, i play Amiga version
Old 13 April 2019, 23:45   #13
Mrz
Banned

the Amiga version have better and refined GFX compared to megaswiv or superswiv
lack music but is a better game
Old 14 April 2019, 05:41   #14
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsy_ View Post
The Amiga Version is by FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR the better game. No discussion needed.
It really isn't. The Megadrive version has great music, far better weaponry, and much smoother gameplay. It's superior to the Amiga version and anyone who says otherwise is seriously kidding themselves.
Old 14 April 2019, 10:08   #15
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
It really isn't. The Megadrive version has great music, far better weaponry, and much smoother gameplay. It's superior to the Amiga version and anyone who says otherwise is seriously kidding themselves.
Mega SWIV is better than SWIV on the technical side (i.e. scrolling etc), true. But it's a much worse game to play than the original SWIV.

It has extremely bland gameplay, questionable gameplay features (such as the side to side scrolling, that never really works well), level design is really rather bad compared to the Amiga version (which makes the side to side scrolling worse). And far from being better, the weapon system is actually kind of a mess - it's far too unbalanced.

As for the music, it's really not all that great. The tunes are okay-ish, but the instruments used are pretty poor. The sound effects however, are downright atrocious.

It does move smoother, that is definitely true. But that doesn't save it from the poor gameplay it has (or the incredibly bad sound effects, which are a massive distraction - if I play this game, it's with the sound turned off). It's a very clear example of how a good technical base doesn't necessarily lead to a good game.

Last edited by roondar; 14 April 2019 at 10:24.
Old 22 April 2019, 11:59   #16
Hillsy_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Clearly somebody who hasn't PLAYED both games. Always remember, gameplay over graphics. The Amiga also cache the gameplay to help with loading, clever for the time.