English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 July 2015, 15:05   #1
Carrera

Gotek

Hi,

I recently purchased a GOTEK floppy usb stick type device. However, I messed up my usb stick and now it won't work. Tried formatting it in various filesystems and included the menu adf file, but to no avail.

I'm sure I'm doing soomething really simple wrong, no a nudge in the right direction would be great, thank you.

Old 07 July 2015, 16:15   #2
Viserion

It should be formated in fat32.

Did your stick work before you messed it up.

Not all usb sticks work, so you might want to try a few.
Old 07 July 2015, 16:24   #3
vertigo

The basics are formatted as above then have your selector.adf in the root of the device and select 000 on your gotek. This should be able to start the gotek menu system.
Old 07 July 2015, 17:11   #4
Carrera

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I am struggling to get "00" on the GOTEK (it's a 2 number display). Just seems to display a dash on each number "--", not "00".

Old 07 July 2015, 17:55   #5
vertigo

OK, there is people more experienced in this than me but for now make sure your SELECTOR.adf is called exactly that in capitals as that's how mine is spelt. Also check your cabling and perhaps another USB stick in case of incompatibility, under 16gb. Perhaps even download another selector just in case you corrupted it.

Edit: try here for a new selector.

https://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com

Last edited by vertigo; 07 July 2015 at 18:03.
Old 07 July 2015, 18:04   #6
Carrera

Hi,

I'll try that and let you know the results.

Pete.

Old 07 July 2015, 19:58   #7
Carrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo View Post

Edit: try here for a new selector.

https://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.com
This sounds a bit much! I may try it as a lest resort, but I'll try out the FAT32/SELECTOR.ADF first.

Do the ADF files need to be in a directory, or just in the root like the selector file?

How do I get to the menu once it's all installed?

Where is the best source for a selector file, found a few, but I'm a little wary that they may not all be genuine and have sinister ulterior motives (maybe a bit paranoid, but you never can be too sure....)

Thanks,

Pete.

Last edited by Carrera; 07 July 2015 at 20:01. Reason: Forgot something

Old 07 July 2015, 20:11   #8
supaduper

the ADFs need to be in the root of the drive not in folders it wont work otherwise

PMd you about the SELECTOR.adf
Old 07 July 2015, 20:18   #9
vertigo

While the selector adf must be in the root I can put normal game adfs in directories such as A, B, C etc..

Once the selector loads a menu pops up with adfs and directories on the mem stick, use the top .. To go back to a parent or root directory. Just choose a game with your joystick, select a slot to put it in and click it (joystick fire) into that slot. So remember which slot you put it in, say 1 then use your gotek buttons and set the display to 1. Save and Reset the selector and away you go, the game should load.

That link has the cortex selector where it says downloads. You have to change the docx extension to zip to unarchive the adf.

Edit, I find it odd that the last poster before this says the the adf need to be in the root, which I heard before but from my tests this is not the case. So Im unsure why I can do this.

https://cortexamigafloppydrive.wordpress.come

Last edited by vertigo; 07 July 2015 at 20:41.
Old 07 July 2015, 20:49   #10
Superman

Only The SELECTOR.ADF needs to be in the root. All other adf files can be in as many directories as you like. I have seperate demo/util/games folders. My games have sub folders in alphabetical order and it all works fine.

My file setup :

Last edited by Superman; 07 July 2015 at 21:04.
Old 07 August 2020, 09:34   #11
Solid Snake
Wonderful World Of Amiga

FlashFloppy V3.15

My Gotek was supplied with no instructions. It was a process of trial and error. A clear step-by-step guide should be posted online to help new users set up the Gotek drive.

I have successfully installed a Gotek USB drive inside my A500+ and it is working fine. I have a query about game loaders. I understand that every game developer programmed their own custom disk trackloader to help boot their game faster. This becomes apparent as you boot certain games.

Would it be possible to incorporate a routine into the FF firmware or patch to allow faster loading of slow loading virtual images (e.g workbench)?

Can support for Extended ADF images be added?

The FF Autoswap-disk feature is clever. I hope patches for other multi-disk games (e.g SF2) become available.