English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 April 2024, 20:18   #1
VladR

Is there a reliable SW to upload files from PC to Amiga ?

I have connected my V4 with PC directly via ethernet cable (no switch or router) and installed ApolloExplorer, but it really works only for the small files (hangs or crashes on files over 250 KB) which is a known issue with Windows build. Plus it's drag&drop, which is just infuriating to me, as it takes up to 5-8 attempts till it registers the drag&drop.

I'm using Coffin r63 on V4. From quick look into the Programs/Network, there's apps like:
AmiFTP
AmiTCP
FTPMountDir
SMB2GUI - I'm guessing this is Samba protocol ?

I'd ideally like to be able to upload my builds right from Notepad++, so I need to be able to upload the file from the command-line.

My best guess would be using FTP (IIRC Samba protocol is slower, right ?), but I never configured that locally.

Speed of upload is important, because I'd like to be testing performance differences between single lines of ASM code, so I should be able to upload every minute when needed (just like I can on Jaguar via Skunkboard).

Is that even possible on Amiga ?
Old 03 April 2024, 20:24   #2
gurth

Perhaps Squirt?
I’ve not had any issues with passing files over the wire even a 256mb PCTask HD image.

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=102494
Old 03 April 2024, 21:09   #3
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurth View Post
Perhaps Squirt?
I’ve not had any issues with passing files over the wire even a 256mb PCTask HD image.

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=102494
Wow, that's a good find ! Just read the thread. Thank you!

I'll play with it tomorrow.
Old 03 April 2024, 22:04   #4
lesta_smsc

AmigaExplorer.

I've used it without any issues. Back in the day, I used it to transfer ADFs straight to disk, and that worked well, too.
Old 03 April 2024, 23:04   #5
kamelito
Zone Friend

ApolloExplorer
Old 03 April 2024, 23:10   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
ApolloExplorer
Read the first post please
Old 04 April 2024, 19:06   #7
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Best upload to your own Network is always via FTP.
Old 08 April 2024, 15:30   #8
CubeTheory

You could setup Samba and use SMBmounter. I use this on my A1200 and mount NAS shares directly on workbench

https://lyonsden.net/how-to-access-a...-on-the-amiga/
Old 08 April 2024, 18:27   #9
Daedalus

If you're looking to transfer from a command line on the PC directly to the working directory on the Amiga's drive, a server on the Amiga side is perhaps more useful. SMBFS will let you mount a PC directory on the Amiga, but that's not quite the same thing. Running a Samba server on the Amiga is resource-heavy and only old versions are available to my knowledge, which may not be supported by the PC side any more. Rc-FTPd is a nice, lightweight FTP daemon on the Amiga side. It uses a GUI for configuration but once it's set up you can FTP in from the PC as you would any other server.
Old 09 April 2024, 07:23   #10
kamelito
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Read the first post please
Apolloexplorer is in active development I he encounter issue he should reported them with reproducible step si the author could fix it.
Old 09 April 2024, 09:29   #11
Locutus

An FTP server on the Amiga side is the way to go if you want to do this via TCP/IP, to smooth this over from your editor experience you'll need to script up something from the client side of course.

Like you could just have a makefile that has a ftp upload target in it, so that a `make all` copies the binary over.

Edit: Okay scratch that.

Just read the Squirt docs, don't do ftp. Just use that, combined with a makefile you can then completely do a complete upload->execute->read results cycle using some makefiles/scripts etc.
Old 09 April 2024, 11:26   #12
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Rcftpd on amiga side, Filezilla on PC side is what I've been using the past 10 years.

Heard squirter is the way to go from multiple people but cannot be bothered anymore
Old 09 April 2024, 16:23   #13
kriz

Use the new SMB port from Bzill full info here: https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=113017

"This is a port of the OS4 SMB2FS handler by Fredrik Wikstrom aka salass00. With this handler you no longer have to enable the old and insecure SMBv1/CIFS protocol, as you can access SMBv2/3 shares directly.

Unlike smbfs it comes as a traditional file system handler, so you have to create a MountList file and use the C:Mount utility to mount it either from the command line or via an icon. For the latter check DEVS:DOSDrivers or SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers to see how it's done. Do not mount the share until you are online!"

Last edited by Jope; 09 April 2024 at 19:33. Reason: [x] disable smilies in text