English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 16 July 2004, 20:20   #1
Unregistered

Wink Help Converting ADF to be able to play back on Amiga

I've got TransADF and some ADF games i want putting on to floppy, but here's my question(s)...

Can i use regular PC Floppies or just Amiga floppies?

Using TransADF, how do i convert my ADF files onto floppy so i can play them back on my Amiga 1200?

Help would be appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Old 16 July 2004, 23:08   #2
Eny-
R3tr0 G4m3r

You can use any kind of FD, the most usual to find nowadays is HD disks...

To use TransADF you have to transfer the ADF files and TransADF to your AMiGA then:

TransADF file xxx.adf df0: write
Old 17 July 2004, 19:46   #3
sloftus

Exclamation Thank You, But still need help...

Hi, I'm the one who started the post...

I appreciate your replies people but i'm still a bit confused. I am completely new to the Amiga scene and allow me to help with what i have:

I do not have a null serial modem connection so is it still possible in reply to Eny's answer, to be able to copy my adf files onto a HD floppy (thank you kodoichi) with some duct tape covered over the other hole, and then play them back on my Amiga without the use of a modem cable from a pc to my amiga and by using TransADF?

Sorry if i am asking too complicated question or am asking a question which has been asked before.

Kind Regards

Old 17 July 2004, 19:54   #4
RetroMan

The Problem is, you HAVE TO get the adf over to your Amiga and write it back to real floppy disk there, a PC cannot write Amiga Disks !!

So your only options would be a Nullmodem cable or maybe using CrossDOS on your A1200 ! With CrossDOS you can read 720KB formatted PC Floppy on your Amiga, but hey, that was allready answered a Zillion Times I guess

Just do a search for it
Old 17 July 2004, 20:37   #5
sloftus

Arrow Thank You!

Right, i think i know what you mean here. Let's see if i'm on the same level as you lot...

I copy TransADF and an adf file onto a HD floppy, i cover the hole with tape then i insert the floppy into an amiga.Then...

How do i copy the adf file to another floppy (i have an external floppy drive as well as the amiga one)?

Also, do i copy the TransADF.lha file or do i have to extract the file using Ultimatezip (or similar) first and then put onto a floppy?

Regards!

Old 18 July 2004, 15:29   #6
Eny-
R3tr0 G4m3r

1st things first:

If you are using CrossDOS, then copy to a floppy TransADF and lha, which could be usefull... If you are not using DD floppys, format one HD (with the hole covered) for 720kb just like a DD. Then on the AMiGA enable CrossDOS (sorry i don't remember how this can be done, i think it's on the Storage floppy of WB -> PC0 ), Copy the contents of the disk to RAM, then copy them back to a AMiGA formated floppy.
Now you have the proggies in the AMiGA side. Next thing, lha the ADF's and copy them to a disk and transfer to AMiGA the same way.
Old 18 July 2004, 17:08   #7
Jope
-

Also: trandisk comes with uae.. transdisk -w filename.adf - you don't have to go to aminet for that. :-)
Old 27 August 2004, 20:33   #8
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Hi how can i do this on amiga 600 without a workbench disk (that what i need to transfer to floppy for my amiga and some others... ) ,where can i get CrossDos from...HELP

P.S I do have PC Task for the Amiga,would that help at all..?

Last edited by spannernick; 27 August 2004 at 21:30.
Old 28 August 2004, 12:06   #9
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Ohhh those vicious circles...:-o

Amiga 600 and NO workbench...

Oh you poor boy. Seems you're out of luck then ...
I shit you not: you MUST get a workbench on real Amiga floppy disk somehow.

Even if you're using those AmigaBASIC solutions like WarTrans to get your first file over to the Amiga, you MUST have a workbench because AmigaBASIC is on Extras 1.2/1.3 and this disk doesn't auto-boot -- so you can't even start AmigaBASIC from it!

Cloanto has the AmigaExplorer for your pleasure.
Great program, but - you guessed it: no go without a workbench, because you need to start setup from PC side with a working serial connection. And serial.device is - righto! - on a workbench.

So ... the starting point of it all *IS* a working, virus-free REAL workbench disk. Otherwise I don't see any way in getting your ADFs to your miggy.
Am I wrong?
Old 28 August 2004, 17:01   #10
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Where is CrossDos on the workbench disk,i can't see it....?
Old 28 August 2004, 22:36   #11
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Amiga 600 and NO workbench...

Oh you poor boy. Seems you're out of luck then ...
I shit you not: you MUST get a workbench on real Amiga floppy disk somehow.

Even if you're using those AmigaBASIC solutions like WarTrans to get your first file over to the Amiga, you MUST have a workbench because AmigaBASIC is on Extras 1.2/1.3 and this disk doesn't auto-boot -- so you can't even start AmigaBASIC from it!

Cloanto has the AmigaExplorer for your pleasure.
Great program, but - you guessed it: no go without a workbench, because you need to start setup from PC side with a working serial connection. And serial.device is - righto! - on a workbench.

So ... the starting point of it all *IS* a working, virus-free REAL workbench disk. Otherwise I don't see any way in getting your ADFs to your miggy.
Am I wrong?
i have got a coverdisk that boots up a workbench..will that help...?
Old 29 August 2004, 00:47   #12
Marcuz

not enough, you still need the program CrossDos and add in the mountlist (aa text file that tells the operating system wich are the devices, fisicals and logicals, to mount) and the command mount, then you have to mount a fake kinda dosdrive wich can read the hd pc formatted disk with your data on... the point is that if you have not all of that already on amiga disk you will not be able to do the thing...

to clarify: the OS in amiga is stored on diskettes and with no hard disk present you boot the system from it. every coverdisk or homemade workbench needs to share some system file (not all) to boot and then it have his custom content. for space reasons, they are cutted to very few files usually and CrossDos or even a mount list are mostly out of them.

Last edited by Marcuz; 29 August 2004 at 00:52.
Old 29 August 2004, 04:27   #13
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick
i have got a coverdisk that boots up a workbench..will that help...?
If you have a terminal program for the Amiga, you could use it with a nullmodem cable to send ADFs via Zmodem. I used this to back up quite a bit of data from my A3000, the only problem was that it was a bit slow, but it worked good in both directions. If you can't use Zmodem then other protocols would work, but Zmodem will provide better performance on the same speed link.