English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 October 2008, 01:01   #1
prowler
Global Moderator

USB Flash Disk Low-Level Format

Hi everyone!

Can anybody recommend Or suggest a method of low-level formatting USB flash disks on any platform?

I have a number of Maxell 1GB and 2GB retractable USB flash disks which I bought recently for use as backup media, but many of them have turned out to have bad sectors, which only show up when trying to read back files stored on them which span one or more of these bad sectors.

I have subjected one of these disks to Virtual Console's USB Flash Drive Tester for Windows:
http://www.vconsole.com/client/?page=page&id=13
which confirms fatal read errors. However, in doing so it not only destroys all data on the disk (which it warns will happen), but also leaves the device unformatted.

I had hoped that this utility might perform a low-level format, marking the bad sectors unusable for the benefit of the subsequent high-level format, rather like HDD manufacturers' low-level format utilities did in the early days when most hard drives shipped with bad sectors from new. The DOS format program would not then be aware of any problems with the drive.

None of the formatting utilities I have since found which I have been able to get working with these disks, including Maxell's (most of them are restricted to using only with the manufacturer's own media) and those described as low-level formatting tools, are able to perform this function. I'm not even sure whether it's actually possible with these devices.

To make the faulty disks useful, I need to prevent the operating system from using these bad sectors, which can always be written to without a problem, but can then never be read back again.

Does anybody have a solution, please ?

I have heard that some cheap USB flash disks are unreliable in this respect, and I cannot deny that these were rather cheap, but I had assumed that they were reduced in price only because drives of much larger capacity are now readily available and I did not expect Maxell to base their devices on unreliable flash memory.

This is not really an Amiga related query, and I apologize for that, but I know that many of us are multi-platformers and I am hoping this will get an interesting thread started.
Old 20 October 2008, 03:19   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Prowler

I have had some sucess with Partition Magic 8.0 in low-level formatting USB memory sticks.

I have had a similar fault with either bad sectors / partition infomation being lost due to some abuse that I had probably put them under, and PM8.0 seemed to sort out the problems

good luck on your quest let us know how you get on
Old 20 October 2008, 09:36   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
I have had some sucess with Partition Magic 8.0 in low-level formatting USB memory sticks.

I have had a similar fault with either bad sectors / partition infomation being lost due to some abuse that I had probably put them under, and PM8.0 seemed to sort out the problems
Thanks for your suggestion, Zetr0.

I am a registered user of Partition Magic 8.0, and I hadn't thought of that!

Of course, I'll let you know how I get on...
Old 20 October 2008, 09:52   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi prowler,

if Partition Magic doesn't work you could try this tool : http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...mat-Tool.shtml
Looks quite as it's up to the job
Old 20 October 2008, 10:59   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
if Partition Magic doesn't work you could try this tool : http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/...mat-Tool.shtml
Looks quite as it's up to the job
Thanks for your suggestion, TCD.

I've already tried this tool, and an earlier version too. I remember thinking that I'd cracked it when I found this one, but I don't recall exactly why it didn't work for me (I tried so many...).

I'll give it another go now anyway (I've got quite a few of these disks...), and let you know the reason for future reference.
Old 20 October 2008, 11:05   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Thanks for your suggestion, TCD.

I've already tried this tool, and an earlier version too. I remember thinking that I'd cracked it when I found this one, but I don't recall exactly why it didn't work for me (I tried so many...).

I'll give it another go now anyway (I've got quite a few of these disks...), and let you know the reason for future reference.
I haven't tested it myself yet (I don't own an USB Flash Disk), but a friend of mine used it both for 'real' HDs aswell as for USB devices. So it would be interesting to know what wents wrong for you and maybe there is a way to solve it
Old 20 October 2008, 13:28   #7
DH
Global Moderator

Got loads of HDD utilities for formatting 'n' stuff even one for Low Level formatting too but I don't know if any of these work with or even recognise USB Flashdrives. Will check and see

Edit: Most of these utils require you to setup onto a floppy 'n' I don't own the things anymore, if your interested Prowler I'll upload them to the zone for you to checkout yourself, floppy disks pending

btw. Use these at your own risk as my friend once wiped his main HDD thinking it was the other one and buggered himself up for weeks It was really humorous watching him cry

Edit 2: Some of these programs are 30 day trial 'n' definately require a floppy so I can't test them

Last edited by DH; 20 October 2008 at 14:00.
Old 20 October 2008, 15:33   #8
Ed Cruse

I think ScanDisk will map out bad sectors, and if it needs a formated disk to work then try doing a Quick Format, this is assuming the low level format is still good. I'm not sure if ScanDisk works with FlashDrives. I'm pretty sure I had a bad harddrive several years ago and ScanDisk mapped out the bad sectors, unfortunetly the drive was flaky and couldn't be saved.
Old 20 October 2008, 15:59   #9
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
the hp format thingy
http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

is the only tool i`ve ever used to format usb pendrives

never had much luck res erecting hd`s with a lowlevel format
and yes I`ve use`d win98`s version of scandisk to repair drives just remember to do it again if you reformat the hd as every time i did it it brought back the bad sectors and had to map em out again with scandisk needles to say this lead to throwing of hd`s against a hard object reveling there nice shine platers and givin up ther powerful magnets so it not all a loss then...
Old 20 October 2008, 16:39   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonHellraiser View Post
Got loads of HDD utilities for formatting 'n' stuff even one for Low Level formatting too but I don't know if any of these work with or even recognise USB Flashdrives.

Edit: Most of these utils require you to setup onto a floppy 'n' I don't own the things anymore, if your interested Prowler I'll upload them to the zone for you to checkout yourself, floppy disks pending

btw. Use these at your own risk as my friend once wiped his main HDD thinking it was the other one and buggered himself up for weeks It was really humorous watching him cry
Thanks for your reply, DemonHellraiser!

I have a floppy drive, so I can check out any or all of these goodies you can upload to the Zone for me, if you would be so kind.

Don't worry, I'll be very careful with them!
Old 20 October 2008, 16:54   #11
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Cruse View Post
I think ScanDisk will map out bad sectors...
Thanks for your reply, Ed!

My preferred version of ScanDisk is the one that comes with Win95, and, as you say, it's very good at mapping out bad sectors (The 16-bit version that comes with Win95 Beta version is even better ).

However, my Win95 machine has a very old USB interface which was built into the motherboard before the USB specification was ratified, and I don't trust it. Besides, my Win95 (original) has no USB support.

So I would prefer to use my WinXP fully-USB compliant system to troubleshoot these disks initially, but may revert to the old system with an add-on card if I have no luck with this. (Unfortunately, the Scandisk utility included with XP is so stripped down as to be virtually useless, IMO ).
Old 20 October 2008, 17:01   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
the hp format thingy
http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

is the only tool i`ve ever used to format usb pendrives
Thanks for your suggestion, cosmicfrog!

I have tried a couple of HP formatting utilities, but I'm not sure if I've tried this one or not (the filename doesn't look familiar...), so I'll download it to try it out and report my findings.
Old 20 October 2008, 19:19   #13
DH
Global Moderator

@Prowler

Your HDD Utils are in the zone, I have only put the appropriate ones in the zip file, as some will not be beneficial to your request and cause I'm on dial-up 'n' it takes flippin' ages to upload anything

Edit: I'm pretty sure I have more, but as I haven't used them in such a long time, finding them is going to be a long process, but I will be looking tomorrow as tonight I'm celebrating my Wedding Anniversary 'n' I need to get drunk
Old 20 October 2008, 21:20   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Your HDD Utils are in the zone, I have only put the appropriate ones in the zip file, as some will not be beneficial to your request and cause I'm on dial-up 'n' it takes flippin' ages to upload anything
Thankyou very much, DemonHellraiser, I've just downloaded them!
That's a fantastic effort from you if you're on dial-up! I really appreciate it!

BTW, I have a USB modem 'dongle', which gives me mobile broadband at very reasonable cost, and good speed too. For me, it actually works out much cheaper than dial-up. I would recommend it if you're in an area served by the mobile network. More details if you're interested.

Quote:
Edit: I'm pretty sure I have more, but as I haven't used them in such a long time, finding them is going to be a long process, but I will be looking tomorrow as tonight I'm celebrating my Wedding Anniversary 'n' I need to get drunk
Congratulations! Get plastered!

Please take your time with the other files. There's no hurry, as I'll be busy with all the other stuff for a while...

...and there are always plenty of other distractions in these forums!
Old 20 October 2008, 21:24   #15
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
ahmen to that DemonHellraiser, are you utils for windows or ami ?

will have remember about the win95 version of ScanDisk
Old 20 October 2008, 21:26   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
[OT]Have a good one and have some drinks on me mate [/OT]
Old 21 October 2008, 12:33   #17
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
ahmen to that DemonHellraiser, are you utils for windows or ami ?

will have remember about the win95 version of ScanDisk
Not so drunk now The files are for, well, windows but they install onto floppy 'n' use DOS, presumably as I can't check (No Floppy's bought since 1994)

@Prowlet/CosmicFrog/TCD Thanks lads I had a real good night, sore head today though
Old 21 October 2008, 15:43   #18
DH
Global Moderator

Found quite a few HDD Utils on Floppy (They've been hidden for some time)

Mainly HDD diagnostic tools

Partition Magic 7.0 Rescue (2 Floppy) - FAIL
SeaTools 3.02 (1 Floppy) GOOD
SeaTools 2.0 (2 Floppy) - FAIL
SeaTools 1.05 (1 Floppy) GOOD
Seagate LLFormat (1 Floppy, think this is for there own old and ancient HDD's) GOOD
Drive Scrubber (1 Floppy) GOOD
Fujitsu Drive Test (1 Floppy) GOOD
Fujitsu Drive Erase (1 Floppy) GOOD
IBM & Hitachi Drive Test 3.50 (1 Floppy) GOOD
IBM & Hitachi Fitness Test (1 Floppy) GOOD
PowerMax 4.06 (1 Floppy) GOOD
MaxBlast (Powermax) 3.6 (1 Floppy) GOOD
PowerMax Disk Diagnostic 3.04 (1 Floppy) GOOD
Western Digital Drive Tools 5.03 (1 Floppy) GOOD
Samsung Clear HDD (1 Floppy) - FAIL
Memtest86 3.0 (1 Floppy) a bonus disk for memory testing GOOD

Phew! Thought I was never going to finish. I don't know what works (I do now) but I'll create Images for these floppy's and zip them together and put them in my folder in Magix FTP

Edit: They'll be on Magix FTP at the weekend, Look for Username/DemonHellraiser/HDD_Tools_Floppy_Images.7z

Last edited by DH; 21 October 2008 at 17:08.
Old 21 October 2008, 17:01   #19
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Thanks for your reply, Ed!

My preferred version of ScanDisk is the one that comes with Win95, and, as you say, it's very good at mapping out bad sectors (The 16-bit version that comes with Win95 Beta version is even better ).

However, my Win95 machine has a very old USB interface which was built into the motherboard before the USB specification was ratified, and I don't trust it. Besides, my Win95 (original) has no USB support.

So I would prefer to use my WinXP fully-USB compliant system to troubleshoot these disks initially, but may revert to the old system with an add-on card if I have no luck with this. (Unfortunately, the Scandisk utility included with XP is so stripped down as to be virtually useless, IMO ).
I didn't know the XP version of ScanDisk was so bad, I've never used it to map out bad sectors, in fact I've rarely used it period.

Thanks for the info.
Old 21 October 2008, 18:42   #20
DH
Global Moderator

HDD_Tools_Floppy_Images.7z on Magix FTP

I had a bit of spare time to upload it. Please read the 'README.txt' this gives some basic what to do's to put them back onto floppy.