English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 August 2006, 13:14   #1
blade002
Zone Friend

Which Monitor ?

Hello everyone, i need some help here. My philips Amiga monitor died about a month ago so i took it to get repaired only to find that the Transformer in it had crapped itself and the guy couldnt get another to repair it.

So now i wish to get hold of an Amiga monitor that handles high res interlace with no flicker, but then of course can revert back to lower resolutions automatically for Amiga games once they are launched through WHDLoad. I remember a friend of mine years ago had a Commodore 1940 or 1942 monitor ( cant remember which one ) and it used to look really nice, although i cant exactly recall if he ever ran it in interlace?.

As some of you may also remember, i did buy a scandoubler but its pretty much useless, because although it does work on my PC monitor, in interlace it makes the screen look all zig zagged and kind of horrible with it being almost unreadable. Ive played around with it, but to no avail.

So what Amiga Monitor do you guys recommend ????
Old 29 August 2006, 13:39   #2
fc.studio
Cat lover

I own Amiga multisync M1438S and I´m very happy with it.
Unfortunately I think it´s now very difficoult to find it now...
Old 29 August 2006, 15:11   #3
Secret Vampire

The only way to get interlace without flicker, other than a flickerfixer is to use a monitor with high persistance phosphor, but I think they are impossible to find, and only useful for limited tasks anyway, as the image will remain on screen for longer than a normal monitor, leaving motion trails.
A multisync is a better bet. The Amiga ones were manufactured by Microvitec, who also produced multisync monitors for Acorn (somewhat more common in the UK), but I'm not sure which Acorn monitors are multisync and which are not, I think the AKF60 is...
Anyway, a multisync will still flicker in interlaced mode, but with an AGA (or maybe ECS machine) you can run workbench in a VGA compatible mode with no flicker.
Old 29 August 2006, 15:48   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

An LCDTV is perhaps your best buy at the moment for Monitors. You can get 15" ones quite cheap and they have built in Flicker fixers / scandoublers.

Ask if they do RGB on the SCART before buying.

See if you can get one that also has a VGA input so that you can use it as a normal PC VGA monitor.

Bonus is that it is also an Analog TV