English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 03 April 2019, 21:48   #41
prb28

@MartinW and @arcanist thanks !
Old 07 April 2019, 15:33   #42
prb28

New release 0.14.0, with copper debug is out.
Old 07 April 2019, 17:48   #43
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Tried it out, but it tells me "Der konfigurierte Debugtyp "fs-uae-run" wird nicht unterstützt.". Which means "the configurated debug type 'fs-uae-run' isn't supported"...

What can I do here to make this run?

edit: works now.. Seems my version of visual studio code was ancient.
Woah. this is a complete game changer... damn impressive...

Okay, next step...

How can I get this to assemble and run anything else than the gencop.s program?

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 07 April 2019 at 18:38.
Old 07 April 2019, 18:52   #44
prb28

Great, happy it works !

Now it's up to you to program !
You can remove the gencop.s file and create your file.
It will compile and link all the ".s" files in the workspace (according to the settings).
Old 07 April 2019, 19:27   #45
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Would love to use it with my already quite big "framework"/"engine".
I got it to compile and even start. But running in UAE it's super slow and glitchy.
Is that the debugger taking all the CPU grunt?

Also, is there a possibility to avoid creating and loading an adf? Seems to take forever.
My usual workflow is starting a build script in my terminal program on OSX, and then in FS-UAE I just start the game in the workbench CLI, which takes maximum 5 seconds.

Any way to do that in your extension?

Seems like a real great thing what you build there, but I am not sure if I can really use it unfortunately. :/
Old 07 April 2019, 19:55   #46
prb28

Yes, FS-UAE in debugger mode is slower than normal (it check the breakpoints in step mode).
Maybe you need some more ram in the launch options.
There is no need to create an adf file to debug, the build generates an executable file that is directly loaded by fs-uae in debug mode and that is launched in a mounted hdd directory in run mode.

In your case the build process can generate the executable in the mounted dir and you can run it in the fs-uae workbench like you did before, but you will not have the debugger.
Old 18 April 2019, 21:23   #47
prb28

Version 0.15 is out.
You can now generate a data table from a function.
Old 21 April 2019, 20:34   #48
prb28

Version 0.16: IFF/ILBM image viewer added.
Old 22 April 2019, 19:14   #49
robsoft

Brilliant! I've started using this myself, I'm a total noob really but enjoying it, it's a better workflow than using ASM-etc on a real Amiga.

As an aside, and given you seem to be a Mac OS X user - do you have anything on the Mac that can convert image files to raw?
Old 22 April 2019, 20:52   #50
prb28

Thanks, it was created for nostalgic noobs in asm (like me!).

No I've nothing for a raw conversion, maybe asking in a new thread in this forum.
I'm thinking in adding this feature in the extension... maybe in a future version, but it needs some work. And a better understanding of the needed conversion options.
Old 27 April 2019, 00:38   #51
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Hi prb28

I've come back to this after a few months and for some reason I can't get it working again. I've updated to the latest binaries and edited my json file to match your latest one but it still refuses to work. I just get constant resets all the time. Would you be able to take a look at it for me as I'm completely stumped. I uploaded my full folder to my uploads folder on the EAB server if you want to take a look.
Old 27 April 2019, 09:09   #52
prb28

Hi Steve, of course I'll try to figure it out !
I'm downloading the files, I'll get back to you in pm after running it.
Old 31 May 2019, 09:13   #53
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsoft View Post
Brilliant! I've started using this myself, I'm a total noob really but enjoying it, it's a better workflow than using ASM-etc on a real Amiga.

As an aside, and given you seem to be a Mac OS X user - do you have anything on the Mac that can convert image files to raw?
In the PHX Solid Gold sources, there is a converter called bmptoraw.exe .
Old 01 June 2019, 12:26   #54
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

This is great. I'm just trying to move my code over to vasm and deciding how I want to go about it. I was already using your extension just as an editor/syntax highlighter/util and then switching windows into WinUAE where asmone is running to compile test. Even in this basic case it works great (please could you add an option so that the formatter works if using tabs for intents - I can't handle spaces for indents)

Looking at the source level debugging with FS-UAE I want to use that feature for sure. It's a game changer. Are the remote debugger features going to get ported to WinUAE do you know?

I'm also looking at the Lemon tool chain which I also really like for the way it can do conversions of assets. I've created a version of it that has all the tools updated (winuae, vasm, vlink etc).

What I'm not keen on with the visual studio extension is the way guesses what to assemble (completely understandable approach). I'm imagining the way I'm going to program is to have a demo folder that I want to be self contained for a particular project. There will be a master "demo wrapper" and sub folders for individual demo parts. In Asmone I had a framework setup where you can assemble either the complete demo or any part as standalone. So just compiling all "*.s" isn't going to work. Or maybe it will if I create a work space per folder. Hmm.

But in any case I'm going to want my "build" to run the lemon asset conversion scripts so I'm happy enough creating some batch files that I can run to assemble the code how I want instead of using the "build" button. I imagine there's a way in visual studio code to trigger batch files. And hopefully it's possible to still launch the final exe from with visual studio code to get the debugging working. I'm ass-u-ming that as long as the exe has all the symbols and -linedebug info that it can do its magic?

In any case thanks for creating this extension, it's great
Old 01 June 2019, 14:00   #55
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad_UK View Post
the way I'm going to program is to have a demo folder that I want to be self contained for a particular project. There will be a master "demo wrapper" and sub folders for individual demo parts. In Asmone I had a framework setup where you can assemble either the complete demo or any part as standalone.
So the demo wrapper just uses the INCLUDE directive to bring all demo parts together to one big source text? Yes. That should work with any assembler.

Quote:
So just compiling all "*.s" isn't going to work. Or maybe it will if I create a work space per folder. Hmm.
Another approach would be to create object files from all parts and use a linker. Then you might also want to use a Makefile, which only assembles the parts which have changed.

Quote:
I'm ass-u-ming that as long as the exe has all the symbols and -linedebug info that it can do its magic?
Yes. I'm quite sure that prb28 uses this information.
Old 01 June 2019, 14:46   #56
Antiriad_UK
OCS forever!

The way I have my wrapper setup is that if you assemble the wrapper it includes the subparts and has symbols in there to assemble it as a full demo. But if you just assemble the subpart on its own it runs in a mini shell outside the main demo. They all have a .s extension though so don't work in the default vscode workspace one click build way. Ideally I'd have a "build demo", "build subpart 1 standalone" type options. But I'm fine with just having a cmd prompt in the background with bat/makefiles to work how I want.

Just tried with external assembling and yes it seems to work. I disabled the "buildWorkspace" option in launch.json and assembled everything and linked everything externally. (bat file, could always convert to makefile or something) Then launched the exe from within vscode and it launched fsuae and stopped at a breakpoint correctly (so bloody cool ). Will try another test with a few source files in different folders with xref/xdef type stuff in there and see if it copes
Old 02 June 2019, 23:55   #57
prb28

Quote:
please could you add an option so that the formatter works if using tabs for intents - I can't handle spaces for indents
, Yes I'm on the always use space char team...
But yes I'll add a feature request. Do you have an example of formatted asm file with tabs? (I like to start working on a user example).
Quote:
Are the remote debugger features going to get ported to WinUAE do you know?
Never speak with Toni Wilen about it, but I'll ask him if he is interested.
(My main dev platform is on osx so FS-UAE is more adapted)
Quote:
I'm ass-u-ming that as long as the exe has all the symbols and -linedebug info that it can do its magic?
As said phx you're right.
Quote:
Just tried with external assembling and yes it seems to work. I disabled the "buildWorkspace" option in launch.json and assembled everything and linked everything externally.
You found the way I think is the best.
The default build button is just for simple programs to learn asm.

Using a makefile with all the commands/exe/bat/etc for conversion and to select the files that need to be built as said phx.
There is a "work in progress" workspace: https://github.com/prb28/vscode-amiga-vbcc-example that uses a makefile with a mix of C and ASM (Geijer helped me with his knowledge of the makefile syntax). It's easy to remove the C (vbcc) part and keep only the asm build. In the released binaries there is a gnu make exe file built for windows, so there is nothing to install.

The other way is to add custom tasks in vscode and sequence them with pre and post tasks. https://code.visualstudio.com/Docs/editor/tasks
Quote:
In any case thanks for creating this extension, it's great
Thank you!

There is some great features coming in next version... The preview build is on github.
Old 08 June 2019, 18:29   #58
prb28

Version 0.17.0 released
Stack frame indicating C source files (basic implementation)
Documentation for core amiga libraries
Registers documentation enhanced
Documentation table of contents
Set the entry point for vlink linker
Completion for variable and library functions in assembly

Thanks for all that helped for this version!
Old 14 June 2019, 09:43   #59
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I need to give this another try..
Old 16 June 2019, 19:05   #60
Jeeg

I have some issues with this latest version and the debugger under windows, right from the beginning the step-by-step mode is not synchronized with the source code. I tested with the gencop sample. Any ideas ?