English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 14 June 2022, 09:34   #4821
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ion Fury is the type of game where if you get trained at it you become a ninja assassin, headshotting enemies from across the map. And it is exactly why I replay that game twice a year because it feels great. (also there are still a number of fiendish secrets I have not found yet...)

Pretty soon there will be a DLC which will make the game even better.
Old 14 June 2022, 15:09   #4822
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Ion Fury is the type of game where if you get trained at it you become a ninja assassin, headshotting enemies from across the map. And it is exactly why I replay that game twice a year because it feels great. (also there are still a number of fiendish secrets I have not found yet...)

Pretty soon there will be a DLC which will make the game even better.
Need to put that DLC on my wishlist. I tried to get into the game once before, but it didn't click then. I played a couple of more difficult games since then and now it feels pretty spot on. I'm not quite at ninja assassin yet, but I moved on from cursing-at-the-screen-with-veins-popping
Old 15 June 2022, 12:18   #4823
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
We just watched a video about the development of the original RE2 and how RE3 was first meant to be a spinoff. I bought the remake of RE3 a while back and will have a go at it next weekend. The RE2 remake was pretty great, so hopefully this one isn't that much worse
I really enjoyed the RE2 remake, and am now enjoying the RE3 remake. It's definitely more "action horror" as opposed to "survival horror" though. Not that this bothers me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I really loved progression of that game, story was balanced perfectly and lead to nice gaming experiences. I played it through on PS4, but once done, never went back to get all achievements...
Yes, I'm aware it's quite highly regarded. I remember uninstalling Witcher 3 due to just not getting it, then giving it another shot a few months later. It went on to become one of my favourite games. I think I will revisit HZD at a later stage and resume it with fresh eyes.

Quote:
Another familiar face
Is this becoming the thread where all the old timers check in with each other?
Old 27 June 2022, 13:03   #4824
Anubis
Retro Gamer

* Cyberpunk 2077 - probably half way through game
* Super Mario 3D on Wii U - coop with my son, who remembers all secret, even he played game when he was 6 or 7.
* Just played bit more than intro for Farcry 6 on PS4. This is going to be next game to finish, after I am done with Cyberpunk,
Old 29 June 2022, 02:35   #4825
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

So I finished RE3 Remake and really enjoyed it. Just reminds me how much I enjoy more intense, linear experiences as opposed to sprawling open world games.

I'm either going to play Mechanicum on PC or Ion Fury on PS4 next. Playing a boomer shooter on the pad will be interesting.
Old 29 June 2022, 11:26   #4826
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I've played Ion Fury with a gamepad on the PC, it's alright.
Old 29 June 2022, 17:25   #4827
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just played the Realm of the Machinists in the new episode Dimension of the Machine in Quake co-op with my wife. The remastered version of the game is just 4 bucks on Steam right now and that new episode alone is worth more than that
Old 29 June 2022, 17:29   #4828
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The remaster is a great purchase, I've had lots of fun with it in coop so far.

Not so much in single player, because it is still Quake. a very dreary experience alone. The extra mission packs are inventive though, they definitely thought outside of the box when it comes to the level design.
Old 29 June 2022, 18:01   #4829
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
The extra mission packs are inventive though, they definitely thought outside of the box when it comes to the level design.
Dimensions of the Machine is a jaw dropper. It looks amazing. Loads of detailing and the maps are quite big without being too open so that you constantly ask yourself where to go. I was never a huge Quake fan, but this remaster and the new episode changed my mind (also in single player ) quite a bit.
Old 29 June 2022, 18:05   #4830
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

They could up the system requirements for the mission packs, the original Quake had to run on a Pentium 60 / 486DX4-100 and it shows in the level design and especially the limited enemy placement. Bit of a step back when you're used to the massive swarms that Doom 2 threw at you.
Old 29 June 2022, 18:20   #4831
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Yep. Quake back in 1996 wasn't that much fun. It was a good game and certainly a milestone in 3D, but it wasn't Doom. This new Quake remaster is more than just making the game run on modern systems. Dimensions of the Machine is a great set piece to show off that change.
Old 30 June 2022, 04:27   #4832
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Was I only one that enjoyed Duke Nukem 3D back then??

Had all other ones, but somehow Duke Nukem and Dark Forces were my favorites.

Played bit R-Type II (acrade) and James Pond, first game. (stuck on level 4)
Old 30 June 2022, 16:40   #4833
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Duke Nukem 3d was and is a classic. It's part of the holy trinity of Build Engine games, these being Duke, Blood and Shadow Warrior.

Quote:
Yep. Quake back in 1996 wasn't that much fun. It was a good game and certainly a milestone in 3D, but it wasn't Doom.
Quake blew me away when I first played it in 1997. It wasn't meant to be like Doom, and it was a good thing that it wasn't. It had its own genuinely creepy vibe, with an amazing soundtrack, bombastic audio and menacing adversaries.

Quake was meant to be dreary, lonely and Lovecraftian, more of a horror shooter than a swarm shooter like Doom was. I thought its ambience and aesthetics were totally next level. It's one of the few titles I have replayed multiple times over, and I hardly ever replay games.
Old 30 June 2022, 17:12   #4834
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
It wasn't meant to be like Doom, and it was a good thing that it wasn't.
If John Romero would have gotten his way we would have gotten a very different game. The Quake we got was stuck between that game and a Doom successor. Sandy certainly added a good bit of the Lovecraftian vibe to the game though. The soundtrack does help the game, but I always felt the four/five ambient tracks were too less. Don't get me wrong though, I like Quake as a game. Just feel like it could have been something more if given a bit of breathing room and not pushed out the door because one of the guys at id didn't think that a story or a cohesive design style are needed.

P.S.: You might have played it, but I recommend playing Shadow over Innsmouth. Now that map blew me away in 1997
Old 30 June 2022, 21:20   #4835
Nobby_UK

Should I bother trying to kill the ogre at the start ?
Old 30 June 2022, 21:35   #4836
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I think you need to run a bit further first. Part of the charm of the map is that you are supposed to feel overwhelmed
Old 30 June 2022, 21:40   #4837
dreadnought

Quake's SP is fun, but as a game design example it's fairly limited and a bit confused too. You have a boss at Level One and then...nothing? Hehe.

It was kinda disappointing, but nobody cared, because Quake's main point and legacy is the best-in-class (to this day) multiplayer and modding. It was the same with Q2, after which id just said f-it, and made Q3 MP only...an rightly so.
Old 30 June 2022, 23:17   #4838
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

And then they said f-it again and outsourced Quake 4 to Raven Software, who created another Doom 3.
Old 03 July 2022, 18:13   #4839
RichL

Cannon Fodder - got to mission 22 this afternoon.

It's all coming back to me.
Old 05 July 2022, 14:09   #4840
Anubis
Retro Gamer

'bout time, since there are only 23 missions. I am still stuck on mission 19. Will have to finish that game at some point...

Played Cyberpunk 2077 - mostly doing NCPD missions.

I will be playing Rick Dangerous for the Spectrum for Retro League...