English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 22 April 2012, 16:58   #1
demether

toggle resolutions in linux hosted e-uae system

Hi,

I'm currently building a sort of "classic amiga x86", based on amiga forever distribution, installed on hard drive (and based on KXlight). Here's my current work in progress :

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=812826#post812826

It's working great, boot sequence and workbench are displayed on my LCD monitor native resolution (1280x1024). For that, I edited the uae.rc (don't remember the exact name) and the menu.lst grub config file to add 1280x1024 resolution.

But when I launch a demo running in 320x240, for example, the demo appears just in a small top left corner of the screen (rest of the screen is black). I guess the screenmode still 1280x1024, it's why the 320x240 demo appears in a small square on the (still 1280x1024) black screen.

Is there any way to toggle resolution on the fly, to display the software (in that case, a demo) in full screen "native" (320x240, in that example) ? And once the demo is finished, toggle again to workbench resolution (1280x1024) ?

I hope it's clearly enough explained, since english is not my native language.

THank you !

Last edited by demether; 22 April 2012 at 17:28. Reason: adding infos
Old 01 May 2012, 14:02   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi, sorry I can't help you with E-UAE (but I don't think it supports automatically switching resolutions on demand).

I thought I would recommend that you try FS-UAE. It has good full-screen support (requires hardware-accelerated OpenGL).

FS-UAE will use your native resolution (1280x1024) and upscale the amiga display so it always fills the screen (either with or without aspect correction), regardless of Amiga resolution. This should solve your display/resolution problem.

For perfect scrolling, you should make sure you have a 50hz modeline at 1280x1024, and that X uses this mode by default (FS-UAE does not switch mode by itself). You may need to force full vsync @50Hz with the option video_sync=full, if the 50hz mode is the only mode configured, because of a workaround for nVIDIA lying to xrandr.
Old 05 May 2012, 17:28   #3
demether

thank you for your help,

I made a try with FS UAE, but it appears much slower than E-UAE on my machine, unfortunatly.

edit : by the way, video is perfect in FS UAE (screen modes, at least, since the emulation is too slow to judge the scrollings, vsync, etc...). Too bad it's so slow on my machine.

edit2 : I think it's because (correct me if I'm wrong) there is no JIT support. My goal is to emulate the fastest amiga I can, so I use maximum settings on e-uae and win-uae (040 with fastest speed, jit enabled with big buffer, to have something quite similar in speed to a real 060 amiga). I guess I cannot do that with FS UAE wich is probably more focused on gaming.

Last edited by demether; 05 May 2012 at 18:24.
Old 05 May 2012, 22:25   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by demether View Post
edit : by the way, video is perfect in FS UAE (screen modes, at least, since the emulation is too slow to judge the scrollings, vsync, etc...). Too bad it's so slow on my machine.

edit2 : I think it's because (correct me if I'm wrong) there is no JIT support. My goal is to emulate the fastest amiga I can, so I use maximum settings on e-uae and win-uae (040 with fastest speed, jit enabled with big buffer, to have something quite similar in speed to a real 060 amiga). I guess I cannot do that with FS UAE wich is probably more focused on gaming.
Yes, FS-UAE does not have JIT (not yet anyway), and this will definitively affect it's speed as compared to UAE with JIT enabled when running in fastest possible mode. While it was originally most geared towards smooth gaming, it now has many other features which makes it more of a general-purpose UAE.

Also note that FS-UAE does not yet support running with full video sync ("perfect scrolling") in fastest possible mode, as I have not had time to implement this yet.
Old 05 May 2012, 22:50   #5
demether

Your software has great potential for sure

I especially liked the fact the resolutions/displaying autoscaling was effective right "out of box". On linux e-uae, I never achieved that result (out of range lcd screen problems, aga/ecs games running in tiny black windows, etc...).

Not for the use I want for now, but who knows what future will bring us (probably you, in fact ) !
Old 15 October 2014, 07:12   #6
angel10

I can easily add a feature in FS-UAE where the emulator accepts a disk image as a (single) parameter and starts with that disk in df0. Other default settings would be read from the Default.fs-uae config file (One could then associate FS-UAE with ADF files and choose to open an ADF file in FS-UAE, like you wanted).

Old 21 October 2014, 08:26   #7
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel10 View Post
I can easily add a feature in FS-UAE where the emulator accepts a disk image as a (single) parameter and starts with that disk in df0. Other default settings would be read from the Default.fs-uae config file (One could then associate FS-UAE with ADF files and choose to open an ADF file in FS-UAE, like you wanted).
No need to modify FS-UAE, just use a simple script for that.
Old 21 October 2014, 10:44   #8
vxm

Are you sure your demo is running in full screen mode and not in a window?
How did you set up the following line:
gfx_fullscreen_amiga
gfx_fullscreen_picasso