English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 22 June 2021, 06:42   #81
jotd
This cat is no more

hybrid is a good idea. Creating something that doesn't exist yet on any platform, even if I like 1:1 arcade ports better.
Old 22 June 2021, 07:46   #82
seko

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Beg to differ, because this game did came out in the wake of Amiga as Game platform so there was an expectation to have a near 1:1 arcade port on OCS/ECS; it can come out pretty good if we get rid of the parallax OR seko use two three color sprites for it (will need some online assembly in my opinion, though)

Plus [now let the slaughter begin] i will like to see more an hybrid between the arcade and the home version, with added the identikit, the thermal scan and the hostage situation; THAT was the Robocop version we amigans (at least me) were expecting ^^

I agree with you. if i had time. I can write game 68000 assembly. But I don't have enough time for game development with assembly language. I believe I can do better with 68k assembly.

Last edited by seko; 22 June 2021 at 11:13.
Old 22 June 2021, 10:12   #83
DanielAllsopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
not a problem right? just copy the background before blitting ALL the objects, then restore it before blitting all the objects at the next frame. And it should be possible to use the CPU to copy the data back & forth without shifting, picking a larger area but 8 pixel aligned. If there are many objects on screen, design some algorithm to start blitting to already backed up areas, and back up / restore other areas (far away) with the CPU while blitter is working. Was probably discussed somewhere here before.
No, shouldn't be a problem. I have it figured out in my head and I have plenty of posts to look through to get an optimal solution. I just haven't had the time to do it yet; too many projects on the go already!
Old 22 June 2021, 10:30   #84
jotd
This cat is no more

Robocop is a long run. A lot of levels, etc... big commitment!
Old 22 June 2021, 12:11   #85
Gzegzolka

I wish that game was not simple 1:1 port, since it could end as not payable on bare bones A500. I wish it to be faithful to arcade original, but if there is something that Amiga could do to create interesting and not taxing effects I would love to see it. Maybe add more thugs sprites to make them look more like a punks from movie than just those muscular military dudes.
Old 22 June 2021, 13:46   #86
mcgeezer

Ran at 25 frames in 16 colours, with sprites for parallax would get it pretty close on A500.

To make the game viable both horizontal and vertical tile mapped scrolling needs to be implemented with a full bob test of different sizes.
Old 22 June 2021, 13:59   #87
rothers

If 4 sprites are being used for Robo use the others for the parallax and no duplexing is required? Just space the buildings out a bit, you only see it twice in the level. Simple solution and it'll look nice. A rainbow sunset would look awesome too.

I'd concentrate on getting that first level as good as possible. It's the part most people will see and play the most.

I had a look at the original amiga port, oh dear oh dear.
Old 22 June 2021, 17:15   #88
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
If 4 sprites are being used for Robo use the others for the parallax and no duplexing is required?
Well, i assume sprites will be used for bullets too and that when Robo has a weapon like the Cobra assault, it will stick out; it can be done with a 4 color sprite but it means two less sprites for parallax hence some multiplexing is needed, AND that one has necessarily be done in assembly. Was thinking about it this morning while coming to work...

Last edited by saimon69; 22 June 2021 at 19:30.
Old 22 June 2021, 17:22   #89
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Beside that, am concerned about sizes: the final stage music is almost done but is taking like 160k at the moment, due to all those instrument variations on it, need to see how to reduce it -_-
(btw usually stage mods also have boss and mission complete, like seven more instruments)
Old 23 June 2021, 14:48   #90
rothers

Quote:
Well, i assume sprites will be used for bullets too and that when Robo has a weapon like the Cobra assault, it will stick out; it can be done with a 4 color sprite but it means two less sprites for parallax hence some multiplexing is needed, AND that one has necessarily be done in assembly. Was thinking about it this morning while coming to work...

The parallax is only visible at the start of level 1 where robo can't have that gun.

Doing it there just makes the first level look snazzy. I don't think there is any at all on level2.
Old 23 June 2021, 17:23   #91
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothers View Post
The parallax is only visible at the start of level 1 where robo can't have that gun.

Doing it there just makes the first level look snazzy. I don't think there is any at all on level2.
I did check the arcade longplay and parallax is there on level 1, level 3, level 4 (supposedly on top of building), level 5 and level 7 - in short is more integral than you can think.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 June 2021, 13:48   #92
DJ METUNE

I just had a look at this comparison video of Robocop for the various systems that was released back in the days. [ Show youtube player ]

Even though we may be disgusted by the old Atari ST port. Thinking that anything than that would be better. It seems like it was about the best version of them all! We were actually the lucky ones!! As Greta said.
Though the Atari ST run even a little faster because of the slightly higher CPU-speed. How dare it?

But it would be extremely satisfying to see a close arcade port for OCS Amiga especially. Taking advantage of its superior custom chips muscles, where the support is applicable. Taking the Amiga with storm way above from that comparison.

The parallax effect in this game may not be 100% necessary for the sake of the gameplay, but it would make a clear statement of the Amiga's extra superiority over the others in the comparison. Gives a sense of that special graphic depth of the luxury world of the arcade originals. A real dream to have something like it working. The icing on the cake.
Old 26 June 2021, 22:59   #93
seko

In progress.
------------

The parallax layer is difficult for the Amiga 500. Also, the Amiga 500 is incredibly slow when using sprites and blitter objects all the time. That's why I'm going to convert a blitter object instead of a robocop sprite. That way, an Amiga 500 will be a playable version using fewer colors.

Robocop for Amiga 1200 model. Double Playfield and parallax layer. The parallax layer is sprites. Different colors and chart data in the parallax layer have a few issues. Not bad at all.

you can run a standard amiga 1200. If you have ram and turbo it will work better.

* this disk image was made for the amiga 1200. A parallax layer is added to the game.

* Background colors have been corrected.
* Improved the Robocop character in frames.
* Music has been added to the game again.

Latest Disk image
-----------------
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qeg...ew?usp=sharing

Latest videos
---------------

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 June 2021, 00:12   #94
jotd
This cat is no more

looking very nice.
Old 27 June 2021, 09:12   #95
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Yes indeed!
Old 27 June 2021, 09:25   #96
manossg

This is awesome progress!
Old 27 June 2021, 09:41   #97
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Really nice indeed. Nice colours and smooth animation !
Actually, it seems to me that the bad guys are running faster than in the original arcade release. No?
Old 27 June 2021, 12:18   #98
rothers

Quote:
I did check the arcade longplay and parallax is there on level 1, level 3, level 4 (supposedly on top of building), level 5 and level 7 - in short is more integral than you can think.
[ Show youtube player ]

But on level 1 it's possible, so why not? Level one is the level most people and youtube will judge the game on, that's just how it is.
Old 27 June 2021, 13:44   #99
seko

In progress.
------------

* Added sound effect for punch hits and collisions.
* there are still some errors. sometimes the music stops, sometimes the parallax layer color flashes.

Latest videos
-------------
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 27 June 2021, 22:35   #100
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Did you got the movie sound FX that i did send?