English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 July 2009, 15:00   #1
Marcuz

two folded problem: slowdowns and betas changes to winuae settings

as per the title, i would like this problem to be adressed, because it pollute the betatest from a beta release to the next: a setting that is changed without the user knowing is responsible of breaking also previous stable releases that uses the same configuration files / winuae.inis etc.

thus a betatesting becomes difficult, because you don't know if a current problem is related to a current release or not.

first part is this:

there are settings in winuae that are stored outside of configurations that are resetted by default, for instance in Winuae.ini, whenever a new bet is started in the folder where previous winuae files reside.

i would like to know what kind exactly of these non config. settings are stored where: for instance, not all host options are in winuae.ini.

second part:

a specific setting, which i believe not to be about either display buffer, at least not apparently (manual changes to that settings do not change anything) nor filters (that were always off during my tests) causes a big slowdown (CPU usage always from 100% to 101%) in native modes only, both full screen and windowed modes, even in fresh quickstart modes.

the relevant logs are available here:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=573317&postcount=2

(please note that Toni has already adressed the sound issue and that changing that settings do not solve the slowing down problem: they are unrelated)
Old 17 July 2009, 15:47   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

JIT modes are supposed to use 100% CPU unless CPU idle is adjusted.
Old 17 July 2009, 17:07   #3
Marcuz

yeah but i never adjusted the CPU idle bar, nor i had slowdowns before using the new beta (i don't even know how the same problem was fixed before: it just comes and go between betas)

moreover the 100% CPU and related slowdown happens in the same session only when using native modes, while it goes away in RTG ones.
Old 17 July 2009, 17:31   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana View Post
yeah but i never adjusted the CPU idle bar, nor i had slowdowns before using the new beta (i don't even know how the same problem was fixed before: it just comes and go between betas)
Please explain what kind of slowdowns?

Quote:
moreover the 100% CPU and related slowdown happens in the same session only when using native modes, while it goes away in RTG ones.
Bad comparison (if you use config files attached in other thread because they are soooo different).

Do you get same slowdown if you take your RTG config, use display prefs program to switch to regular PAL mode. Now it isn't "RTG" anymore
Old 17 July 2009, 17:46   #5
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Please explain what kind of slowdowns?
display stuttering, sometime hanging for some second.

Quote:
Bad comparison (if you use config files attached in other thread because they are soooo different).
do you mean that the slowing down cause is different in the 3 logs?

however it is, i just believe i got it or at least part of it :

the display refresh, when loading an old config gets moved to "refresh every tenth frame" i just did not noticed it before.

it happens with many configurations but not all, but i'm sure i have not tweaked that manually.
moreover, why it starts behaving that only when a new beta is put in place?

what i do not get is that this display slider is saved in a configuration file, not anywhere else, so what is wrong?
Old 17 July 2009, 17:56   #6
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Do you get same slowdown if you take your RTG config, use display prefs program to switch to regular PAL mode. Now it isn't "RTG" anymore
i would need to test a workbench game or graphic moving to see if on rtg there are real slowdowns, as there the CPU load is just around 80%.

but whenever i change the screen mode, yes even through the workbench prefs, the cpu usage goes through the roof, and then stable to 100%, even without jit enabled.

more about it: testing a game in the same setup, with the display refreshing now to every frame, and with the game running well again, the slowdown represented itself when i pressed "print screen" key to get a screenshot.

i'm going out tonite so i cannot be more articulate, but if you cannot figure what it is, i will post more precise logs.
Old 17 July 2009, 18:22   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
what i do not get is that this display slider is saved in a configuration file, not anywhere else, so what is wrong?
Do you mean "gfx_framerate" in config file is correct? (1, not 10)

Perhaps some utility that changes UAE settings from Amiga side?
Old 17 July 2009, 18:40   #8
Marcuz

no, sorry, i meant that whatever change to that slider in winuae panel is saved, it goes to the configuration file, (that, in this case, has gfx_framerate = 10); therefore a different beta (with its newer winuae.ini) has nothing to do with the problem.

what i do not get is why indeed the slowdown happened only when i switched to the different beta from the previous one (it has happened already in the past: a working config that got through this same exact framerate problem.)

i'm not aware of no program inside the emulation that does that, i mean, i use the very same hdf with different configuration files.

so.

if the problem is just the frame refresh, i just need to check that setting whenever i experience this same thing, but to be at ease, tomorrow i will post a more thorough test with the print screen slowdown too.

thanks for the patience Toni!
Old 18 July 2009, 20:34   #9
Marcuz

ok tested.

i don't know yet what changed the display refresh slider, but since i know at least what to check when there will e eventually these slowdowns, that's ok.

there is one thing yet, the slowdown when Print Screen key is pressed. it is not attached to any function, by looking at the input configuration panel.

the input configuration is set to compatibility.

still when pressed winuae hangs: the sound and display freeze after a couple of seconds of stuttering. it happens bith in fullscreen and in windowed modes and only in native mode.
i could not reproduce it with quickstart modes, so i believe it's about the configuration.

Last edited by Marcuz; 21 September 2013 at 16:09.
Old 18 July 2009, 23:20   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
ok tested.
there is one thing yet, the slowdown when Print Screen key is pressed. it is not attached to any function, by looking at the input configuration panel.
PrtSc is for screenshots if I'm not too wrong
(yes even in emulation mode)
The slowdown you encountered might be due to the fact it has to write an accurate image into your hard disk folder
Old 18 July 2009, 23:28   #11
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
PrtSc is for screenshots if I'm not too wrong
Nope, that's End + PrtSc.
Old 19 July 2009, 00:01   #12
Marcuz

moreover, it mostly hangs the emulation, as explained.
assignin a screenshot capture to a key works without slowdowns.
Old 19 July 2009, 11:35   #13
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Both PrintScreen and End+PrintScreen = screenshot. Without END = clipboard, with END = file.

Do you get same PrintScreen freeze if you start winuae with -rawkeyboard parameter?

(probably yet another useless/borken utility that possibly came preinstalled with PC)
Old 19 July 2009, 11:42   #14
Marcuz

yes, no difference: it freezes and no screenshot ever taken.