English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 June 2023, 10:39   #21
alain.treesong
Aghnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimo View Post
@alain.treesong

Nope, sorry :/ The purpose of this thread was precisely to verify whether the tool received enough interest to justify writing a proper version, writing the documentation, preparing a page and maintaing everything in the future (as I'm used to update all my stuff constantly, as you can see from the history of all my projects at https://retream.itch.io), and the answer has been that there is basically no interest.
But thanks for your interest!
Quite amusing...
Old 10 June 2023, 12:39   #22
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
I'd say it would be quite straightforward to translate from AMOS to C (and the executable produced by the C compiler would surely be much more efficient that the AMOS one).
The challenge then is more likely to be in whatever runtime you need to support it.
Old 10 June 2023, 12:55   #23
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
The challenge then is more likely to be in whatever runtime you need to support it.
If you mean rewriting it in a better way, that would be a huge undertaking. Otherwise, it's "just" a matter of using the existing one (basically, letting amos.library do the job). Also, another particular thing to take care of is supporting the extensions.
Anyway, the transpiler would work at source level, so it would require the sources of the programs in first place and more work also to use it, while this little tool works at executable level, so it simply requires launching it from shell (of course, the cost of such simplicity and universality is the modest improvements it produces).
Old 10 June 2023, 13:09   #24
Karlos
Alien Bleed

Quote:
If you mean rewriting it in a better way, that would be a huge undertaking. Otherwise, it's "just" a matter of using the existing one (basically, letting amos.library do the job). Also, another particular thing to take care of is supporting the extensions.
Anyway, the transpiler would work at source level, so it would require the sources of the programs in first place and more work also to use it, while this little tool works at executable level, so it simply requires launching it from shell (of course, the cost of such simplicity and universality is the modest improvements it produces).
For the avoidance of doubt, I am talking about the case when you have the AMOS source code and want to produce an optimised binary. I don't have much experience with AMOS, I ended up using Blitz as my go-to BASIC, before eventually just using C (and C++) for everything.
Old 10 June 2023, 13:36   #25
saimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
For the avoidance of doubt, I am talking about the case when you have the AMOS source code and want to produce an optimised binary.
Sure, that was clear
Old 11 June 2023, 02:17   #26
Selur

hi there!

What we really need is a new Amos Compiler, but i guess anyone can't do this.
Amos Compiler suxx badly.

So...
more usefull, would be to create detailed text document "How to optimising amos instructions" ofcourse if someone know how AMOS compiler works.

for example in 90% Amos games people using If instruction like this:

IF A=1 and B=5 and C=10 Then .....

but is so slow and should be used like this

IF A=1
IF B=5
IF C=10
Endif
Endif
Endif

What we need is knowledge, how to write instructions with variables to gain more speed...