English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 25 March 2006, 17:36   #1
pTah
Zone Friend

beneath a steel sky prob (cd32-version via WHDload)

hi,
i just downloaded the whd-package of the cd32-version of BASS with voices. everything works fine execept that with voices enabled the screen is always getting black for a short time when the games is loading the voices... thats really annoying: after every spoken sentence the screen turns black for a second.

i have a CD32 with SX32pro and 16MB fastram. preload is off as i dont have enough memory(it needs more than 100mb as stated in the readme). but shouldnt it run correctly even when the voices have to be load from HD ?
is there any solution for that behavior? except turning off the voices. :>

i know that i could run the real cd32-version, but BASS-CD32 doesnt work with my sx32pro even when I deactivate it via a jumper-switch. and i dont want to pull out the sx32pro just because of BASS. and i also dont want to place my second cd32 under my tv-set and switch the cables every time i wanna play bass.
i know when i dont get it working i will have to play with my second cd32 but there must be a solution !? is there anyone with same prob:?
maybe i have to upgrade my ram. but im not sure if it's possible to put more than 64mb into the sx32. :/
Old 25 March 2006, 19:12   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by pTah
hi,
i just downloaded the whd-package of the cd32-version of BASS with voices. everything works fine execept that with voices enabled the screen is always getting black for a short time when the games is loading the voices... thats really annoying: after every spoken sentence the screen turns black for a second.

i have a CD32 with SX32pro and 16MB fastram. preload is off as i dont have enough memory(it needs more than 100mb as stated in the readme). but shouldnt it run correctly even when the voices have to be load from HD ?
is there any solution for that behavior? except turning off the voices. :>

i know that i could run the real cd32-version, but BASS-CD32 doesnt work with my sx32pro even when I deactivate it via a jumper-switch. and i dont want to pull out the sx32pro just because of BASS. and i also dont want to place my second cd32 under my tv-set and switch the cables every time i wanna play bass.
i know when i dont get it working i will have to play with my second cd32 but there must be a solution !? is there anyone with same prob:?
maybe i have to upgrade my ram. but im not sure if it's possible to put more than 64mb into the sx32. :/
Hi,

You'd need at least 100MB to play BASS with voices without OS swaps

I can try to see if there is another solution, but ATM I can't see any
Old 26 March 2006, 19:03   #3
pTah
Zone Friend

ok, thx for the answer!
so, i have to play the original cd32-version without whdload...
a solution would be great!

hmm, it seems that my sx32pro supports only 64mb ram.

Last edited by pTah; 26 March 2006 at 20:17.
Old 10 January 2007, 18:15   #4
pTah
Zone Friend

hmm, is there any fix/solution available for this problem?
i really want to play this baby with speech. the only prob is that i cant play it when there is the sx32pro in the expansion-slot. even when i deactivate it...
i dont want to pull it out for playing BASS.

maybe i can try a cd32 emulation (on a cd32 omg)...
Old 10 January 2007, 19:02   #5
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Why not just run it DOS installed?

I run it DOS installed on my A1200 with voices and it works fine.
Old 10 January 2007, 19:32   #6
pTah
Zone Friend

hmm, i'm not quite sure but i could swear that i tried this.
you meant that i should copy the files over to HD and then boot without the WB into amigaDOS and start it manually.
maybe i should give it another try.
any assigns i have to create to make it run?

anyway, THANKS
Old 10 January 2007, 19:34   #7
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I don't think you need any assigns, although you do need freeanim.library in libs
Old 10 January 2007, 19:36   #8
pbareges

if he's got problems related to the expansion board with the original cd32 version, i think he will get the same issues from hd....did you try some sorts of degrader to try to kill the expansion board before running the game
Old 10 January 2007, 19:46   #9
pTah
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbareges
if he's got problems related to the expansion board with the original cd32 version, i think he will get the same issues from hd....did you try some sorts of degrader to try to kill the expansion board before running the game
that's partly right. the sx32pro expansion cannot be deactivated by software. only by a jumper/switch. the prob is that that doesnt help. what is funny is that normally the sx32pro should be fully compatible and it really is when i asked other sx32pro-owners. only mine doesnt like most of the cd32-games. any other normal amiga-prog or game just runs perfectly! my sx32pro seems to be an old revision or something like that. it shows this behaviour since i've bought it just when it was released. but that's another prob...
that's why i was really glad when i saw that BASS-CD32 can be played via whdload. sadly i can only install 64mb and not the 100mb that are required for complete preload...

i'll give it another try in AmigaDOS...
Old 10 January 2007, 19:54   #10
pbareges

what kind of problem do you get when you launch original cd32 ? does it just crash ? if whdload succeeded in solving the problem, this means that there must be a software solution. did tou try something as simple as nofastmem ? i don't know for cd32 but for a1200, when you press the 2 mousebuttons on reboot, you get a menu where you can deactivate expansion boards...when you set the siwtch/jump to off mode, do you still see your expansion board on the boards list on reboot...if yes, you can deactivate it from booting menu to see what happens....
Old 10 January 2007, 21:16   #11
pTah
Zone Friend

it does not crash. lot of games brings up an amigados-message that there is not enough chipram. some just freeze and some like BASS bring up a red (not sure about the colour) screen. sometimes behaviour changes depending on whether the sx32pro is de-/activated, but nevertheless the games dont run.
i even tried to pull out the fastram, cpu, fpu and hd. doesnt help, same behaviour. an furthermore when there is game that runs, all cdxl-movies/intros run choppy(worms, alienbreed, cd32advert from wingcommander disc). the only game that works flawlessly is Microcosm.
the only solution is to pull out the sx, or maybe to buy a new sx32pro... :O

what makes me sad is that all sx32pro-owners i know dont have this problem (only deactivates ram and cpu, ide-controller still active). for them nearly every game works. seems that my sx has some kind of bug or it's an early revision.

in the early startup-control i can see the board no matter whether it's de-/activated by switch. but i cannot deactivate it there. cant find any button for that. in the expansion-board-diagnostic there is only the "continue"button...

Last edited by pTah; 10 January 2007 at 21:27.
Old 10 January 2007, 21:26   #12
Ironclaw
Banned

I ran BASS from harddrive. Just copied the files from the CD over to the HD and ran it, no assigns, no workbench system... just a cli which I typed one word. Works perfectly.

(I always does this ):

Here's a walkthrough I recorded (video) of the CD32 version, ran from HD: http://recordedamigagames.ath.cx/mod...dex.php?id=183

In case you get stuck in the game .
Old 10 January 2007, 21:29   #13
pTah
Zone Friend

i'll give it another try. but as far as i can remember it sais i have not enough chip. even when i squeez out 1,92 mb free chip...
thanks for the walkthrough! so i can watch it...
Old 11 January 2007, 02:07   #14
pbareges

last suggestion from me : try systempatch, it has solved a lot of weird issues for me : chunkypixels patch not working, jst freezing,...you just have to launch it just after setpatch in the startup-sequence:
http://digilander.libero.it/ziosante/index_amiga.html

here follows the readme :

What's new

Changes since last public version:

- added check for xvs.library, if loaded loadseg patches are not installed

Description

ABOUT

It's merely a try to implement a patch that could group part of known
patches for 68k Amigas, with some implemented by me.
A sort of "all in one" patch.

WHY

I want my Amiga to be faster but I don't like to install tons of
programs that patch my system and could interfere each other...
So I started coding SystemPatch.

USEFUL

SystemPatch is intended to be useful on AGA systems.

SystemPatch replaces some functions of the operating system with optimized
ones, increasing the system efficiency in a multitasking environment.

SystemPatch takes care of your CPU and installs appropriate patches.

If you don't have OS3.5 or OS3.9, SystemPatch can fix some bugs in
exec.library for you because the code of its patches takes care of known
bugs of old execs.

If you have FBlit running SystemPatch takes care of it, installing patches
that require it and excluding patches that conflict with it.

USELESS

If you have a MMU and the mmu.library by Thomas Ritcher, SystemPatch can
protect the code used by installed patches from being over-written( this is
not true for quicklayers.library).

FUTURE

There are some speedups to quicklayers.library I've in mind but I lack the
time to implement them.
Old 11 January 2007, 10:06   #15
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd
You'd need at least 100MB to play BASS with voices without OS swaps

I can try to see if there is another solution, but ATM I can't see any
Just discovered this old-ish thread.

I was idly thinking about ways to get music tracks into WHDLoad versions of CD based games. Would it be possible to re-encode the CD audio to a more compact format (eg: MP3) and patch replay code into the game? I guess the main problem would be feeding the new audio into the existing sound system - CD based audio gets replayed independently of the Paula output, right? You'd also need to choose the new audio format carefully - MP3 probably isn't the best choice as it takes a fair bit of processor time to replay.

But you get the idea...

I guess this would work quite well for the particular case of BASS's speech? Or is it already compressed? I dunno, just musing out loud
Old 11 January 2007, 16:51   #16
pTah
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv
Just discovered this old-ish thread.

I was idly thinking about ways to get music tracks into WHDLoad versions of CD based games. Would it be possible to re-encode the CD audio to a more compact format (eg: MP3) and patch replay code into the game? I guess the main problem would be feeding the new audio into the existing sound system - CD based audio gets replayed independently of the Paula output, right? You'd also need to choose the new audio format carefully - MP3 probably isn't the best choice as it takes a fair bit of processor time to replay.

But you get the idea...

I guess this would work quite well for the particular case of BASS's speech? Or is it already compressed? I dunno, just musing out loud
would be lot of work to program this ...

back to the topic:
with the sx32pro deactivated i get "not enough memory" when trying to start it via AmigaDOS. with the board activated i get a red screen in amigados and on the wb i get a red coloured wb (icon, windows are still there but red). red colour means that there is a prob with the rom but the rom is ok!

bass should at least run when starting it without WB so i dont believe that the systemptach would help. an i also dont like systempatch as it slowed down my scummvm in the past.
but i'll try it!!!

also tried some degraders ... doesnt help.
any possibilitie to fix the problem in whdload? so that the screen dont blinks whenn loading voices during game???
Old 11 January 2007, 16:59   #17
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I used to get a red screen, I fixed it by putting freeanim.library in libs.

I did mention this earlier.
Old 11 January 2007, 17:04   #18
pTah
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
I used to get a red screen, I fixed it by putting freeanim.library in libs.

I did mention this earlier.
you're right. forgot that.
i'll try!!! if it works you will be my hero!!!

edit:
nothing changed. still red screen. :O

what's really funny is that i can still use the wb after starting bass. the is red coloured and i have nearly no chip left. but im still able to open dirs or progs and so on...

edit2:
what's really weird is that nearly every normal amiga game/prog runs without a problem... only bass (an some other cd32games) doesnt like my machine.

Last edited by pTah; 11 January 2007 at 17:48.
Old 12 January 2007, 09:49   #19
girv
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pTah
any possibilitie to fix the problem in whdload? so that the screen dont blinks whenn loading voices during game???
See above

The screen blinks because WHDLoad must swap back from the special environment it created to run the game to the real OS in order to load the speech files, then back to the game environment again. The only way to avoid this is to have enough RAM to hold all the files - either by increasing the amount of RAM you have or by compressing the files so they fit into the RAM that you have now (or both!). Them's yer choices.
Old 12 January 2007, 21:23   #20
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Edit to fix omission

Hi,

I've also got problems with running BASS. On WHDLoad it works okay but takes at least 10 minutes to load.

This may be helpful for somebody, its my notes on running BASS on my 1200 030 system before getting an 060.

Beneath a Steel Sky
Originally happy with pretty much anything, but with 060 wants CD32
emulation. Hah! No it's not necessary, use Tude to set Vector Base to
zero, reset MMU, no caches and you're laughing. (I think)
TUDE VBASE=ZERO CACHES=NONE MMURESET

Now I have a Mediator, I can't get the game to work. I'd love to be able to run the IDE Fix CD32 emulation, that used to just about work with anything, but with a Medaitor I can't get the script to run.