English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 February 2024, 00:04   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Final Fight Enhanced, Holy Smoke What an Improvement!

Several years ago I placed the most requested game ever to be featured in my "Shit Game Time" series, what a debate that was but the bottom line was it felt empty, no atmoshpere, no in-game music, bad collision detection, slow down and a weak offense causing many deaths when cornered but this new enchanced version is something else to the point I just had to do a "Let's Play" review video of it, tremendous work,...and to prove if you looked round my channel I do far more than just call out shitty games, I highly praise good ones too!

Well done to Brick Nash!

Final Fight Enhanced Review video: [ Show youtube player ]

Final Fight "Shit Game Time of the original release: [ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by ZEUSDAZ; 24 March 2024 at 03:32.
Old 06 February 2024, 00:45   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah you know. I played the original because it was what I had to be able to play Final Fight. I played the arcade version in an arcade exactly once and I didn't even make it to the subway station Brutally hard game. To be honest I bought the game in one of the many Capcom packs for the PC a year ago and I still only barely made it to the subway station

So yeah... stun lock problems or not, I never played the game to win it. I just played it to beat up blokes. There is something special about it.
Old 06 February 2024, 03:18   #3
CCCP alert

The only thing I really remember back then was on the SNES I had you needed to buy two carts to get all 3 characters or something. Never even saw it on the Amiga until this century with WinUAE + ADF collections.
Old 06 February 2024, 06:23   #4
amiman99

I used to have the original Final Fight for Amiga back in the 90s, and I played it alot. It wasn't perfect as the Arcade, but it was good enough to play.
I'm not sure if I still have it, it could be somewhere on the bottom of my Amiga games.

I need to try the new version when I get a chance.
Old 07 February 2024, 10:51   #5
RuySan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP alert View Post
The only thing I really remember back then was on the SNES I had you needed to buy two carts to get all 3 characters or something. Never even saw it on the Amiga until this century with WinUAE + ADF collections.
And yet, neither version is that good, specially considering what the SNES could do. I played them recently, to see if I could get some Retroachievements...and after a while I couldn't be bothered. The Amiga port wasn't better, but at the time I loved it

Enviado do meu SM-A325F através do Tapatalk
Old 07 February 2024, 18:32   #6
jotd
This cat is no more

The new version is a great achievement, no doubt!!
The original version has been lambasted but it doesn't pale (at least visually) in comparison.

- colors are similar
- speed is correct
- runs in 512k !!

So what's really better in the new version? I'd say

- in-game original music
- better enemy A.I
- animated backgrounds
- better character graphics (less "scaled" from the arcade)
- extra character

anything else?
Old 07 February 2024, 19:00   #7
CCCP alert

If as Zeus says in his review on the original version the enemies spawning onto the screen were overtly excessive than that is the sort of minor difference between the two that makes one game shit and the other good after playing both.

Golden Axe and Kung Fu Master are really the only arcade beat em ups I put coins into that I can remember, so I am just picking up on something from a reviewer who has played both and likes the arcade.
Old 07 February 2024, 20:18   #8
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuySan View Post
And yet, neither version is that good, specially considering what the SNES could do. I played them recently, to see if I could get some Retroachievements...and after a while I couldn't be bothered. The Amiga port wasn't better, but at the time I loved it

Enviado do meu SM-A325F através do Tapatalk
IMHO the original Amiga version was better than the SNES one because it had all three characters and more important, it was playable by two players which is kind of the point for a beat em up.
Si, with this new version with its vastly improved gameplay and great sounds department there isn't any comparison for me. SNES is only better for the gfx.

It is also fair to remind that the original Amiga version wasn't at all considered as a "shit game" when it was released.

Too bad it seems that the source code of the new version won't be available to pimp a little the gfx or make an AGA version.

Last edited by sokolovic; 07 February 2024 at 20:35.
Old 07 February 2024, 20:29   #9
vulture

@jotd

grab moves, one of the main things missing from the original conversion
Old 07 February 2024, 21:07   #10
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
So what's really better in the new version? I'd say

- in-game original music
- better enemy A.I
- animated backgrounds
- better character graphics (less "scaled" from the arcade)
- extra character

anything else?
You missed the most important point - better gameplay.

I could live with no music, with worse enemy AI, without animated Bg's, without better characters graphics, and without extra character, only if Richard's port had anything to do with Final Fight original gameplay.
It doesn't.
It's more like a bad Double Dragon style of game.. nothing in common with Final Fight gameplay.
Gameplay accuracy of Richard version = 5%
Gameplay accuracy of Prototron version = 90%
Old 07 February 2024, 21:12   #11
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
@jotd

grab moves, one of the main things missing from the original conversion
It's not just grab move (although, grab is very important indeed).
It's the whole feeling when you approach to the enemy, do a combo, grab next one, throw it to the opponent that is coming from behind... timing is crucial, and Prototron did a great job there.
Richard port, besides that gameplay was more like of some different game (Double Dragon), it's also, not polished in a sense... when enemies are around you, they will hit you.. and hit you... and hit you... and there's nothing you can do about it. Nothing! You just die.

Of course, Richard did amazing job in technical department. The fact that is working on only 512kb, is more then impressive. But gameplay wise, that's not Final Fight.
Old 08 February 2024, 15:37   #12
PatmanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
It's not just grab move (although, grab is very important indeed).
It's the whole feeling when you approach to the enemy, do a combo, grab next one, throw it to the opponent that is coming from behind... timing is crucial, and Prototron did a great job there.
Richard port, besides that gameplay was more like of some different game (Double Dragon), it's also, not polished in a sense... when enemies are around you, they will hit you.. and hit you... and hit you... and there's nothing you can do about it. Nothing! You just die.

Of course, Richard did amazing job in technical department. The fact that is working on only 512kb, is more then impressive. But gameplay wise, that's not Final Fight.
Not to beat a dead horse but it's unfortunate that Richard was not a fan of the original arcade game.

With how well the Amiga version turned out just imagine if he had been a fan?
Old 08 February 2024, 17:42   #13
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatmanQC View Post
Not to beat a dead horse but it's unfortunate that Richard was not a fan of the original arcade game.

With how well the Amiga version turned out just imagine if he had been a fan?
Afraid would have been not that better, deadlines were VERY tight on US Gold projects
Old 09 February 2024, 02:19   #14
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
Well done to Brick Nash!

Final Fight Enhanced Review video: [ Show youtube player ]

Final Fight "Shit Game Time of the original release: [ Show youtube player ]
Does it support 2-button pads? I thing the arcade used 3 buttons didn't it?
Old 09 February 2024, 10:31   #15
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Does it support 2-button pads? I thing the arcade used 3 buttons didn't it?

Yes, was playing with CD32 Pad. 2nd button did jump if I recall.

Much nicer to play now. Only ever used to listen to intro music (Lost in Time, awesome tune), never played past car bashing bonus level.
Old 09 February 2024, 11:05   #16
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
I thing the arcade used 3 buttons didn't it?
Both arcade and this port uses only 2 buttons.
Jump and attack.
Both buttons pressed triggers special move.

... it's same as many other Capcom's brawlers: Punisher, Captain Commando, Cadillac's and Dinosaurs.
Old 11 February 2024, 21:52   #17
BigD

Wow! Well done Brick Nash/Prototron!!! Amazing achievement! It now feels like the arcade game and it works fine on THEA500 Mini under AMiNIMiga! Completed it with my boy tonight in two-player co-op! Got a crash after the car smash bonus stage with Haggar and Maki but got a complete playrhrough with Cody and Guy. There was some speed up when no enemies were on screen. It was like they were rushing to the toilet!! Also, the enemies are a but dumb with Andore not chest barging half as much as he should and it is too easy to pummle people once they're down and to keep them down! Also Sodom doesn't drop his swords but I don't think he did on the Amiga original. Other than that a phenomenal effort!
Old 12 February 2024, 01:23   #18
Bren McGuire

lol enchanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
but this new enchanced version
Old 12 February 2024, 01:28   #19
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Yeah you know. I played the original because it was what I had to be able to play Final Fight. I played the arcade version in an arcade exactly once and I didn't even make it to the subway station Brutally hard game. To be honest I bought the game in one of the many Capcom packs for the PC a year ago and I still only barely made it to the subway station

It's not the game, it's you, buddy.

Lack of skillz mixed with age, I guess....

BTW, play MAME port and it is not that hard.

While I was living in the Germany, we had one in local burger place. One of my friends was able to get to last stage on single coin, but again, he was livin' on couple of arcades. (Final Fight, Pang and SF 2) Not sure if he ever managed to complete the game, I left country at the end of 95 and we lost contact.
Old 12 February 2024, 12:09   #20
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Lack of skillz mixed with age, I guess....
Agreed! Carpal Tunnel Syndrome doesn't help either! Bit sore/numb today following completing the game with my son yesterday!