English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 31 August 2021, 13:57   #21
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
NTP to update my time while booting (my A3000 has not even a battery).
Same with my A4000!
Old 31 August 2021, 14:45   #22
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Not really interested in getting my Amiga's online. The web experience is just going to be probelmatic. FTP, IRC would be fine though. But I do see myself creating a LAN for all my old computers to talk to one another.
Old 31 August 2021, 15:09   #23
stevelord

My 4000 is online but none of my other Amigas are.

On the 4000 I use:
  • AmigaAMP3 for Internet Radio (it's playing the BBC World Service right now and I completely forgot to mention it)
  • Ibrowse for web browsing natively (frogfind, 68k.news, amiga-news.de etc) and for higher end sites with WRP (https://github.com/tenox7/wrp)
  • AmiGemini for browsing Gemini sites
  • Amitradecenter for FTP
  • YAM for mail (but not loving it tbh)
  • AmIRC with ZNC and Bitlbee to access Telegram, Signal, Matrix and Mastodon in one. Does a lot more too but I don't use it.
  • NTP time sync
  • Telnetd.device to connect things that expect serial connections to things on the network (e.g. BBSes, Packet radio tools etc).
  • Webcam Viewer to watch webcams
  • Newscoaster for Usenet
  • SMBMounter and SMBFS to mount filesystems, but I've had historic problems with it
I use uhctools for downloading stuff from cli. There's a recent curl port but I find it slower than just downloading off one box and transferring across.

I'm waiting on some gear for my CDTV then I'm going to see if I can set up sernet or parnet to a modern linux box.

Last edited by stevelord; 31 August 2021 at 15:26.
Old 31 August 2021, 15:20   #24
mr.spiv

My both A3000s are online.. but currently only in a local LAN that has a NAS with required servers for file transfers (ftp/tftp/etc). My social-media-enabled computers are then used to fill the NAS on need basis..

I used to love YAM, amirc and amtelnet. They were kick-ass..
Old 31 August 2021, 15:39   #25
Jope
-

Mine are online too, the main reason being smbfs to mount my NAS share, then second I use the UHC tools when I need something from Aminet. Sometimes a bit of FTP using AmiTradeCenter.

Web browsing is not a fun experience on an Amiga, so I rarely do that. Same with IRC - I prefer to telnet out to a jump host on my LAN, ssh over to where-ever I want to go and then attach to my IRC screen instead of using an Amiga IRC client.
Old 31 August 2021, 17:42   #26
tygre
Returning fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarrabri View Post
Thankyou for your post and i have to say i havent tried the radio but i will have ago after your shameless plug lol as you can tell i am not as well versed about the Amiga as most on the forum but i am amazed at the amount of folk use them on line and for a host of other things ,thanks again for you input
My pleasure! Glad that it may brighten your day

PS. Don't hesitate to contact me if you've any problem/question...
Old 31 August 2021, 18:56   #27
d4rk3lf

You should have made a pool on this question.
Maybe mods can make it.

Nope, I only use my A500 with Aca 500+ offline, but I'd definitely what to try some Amiga online... some day...
Old 31 August 2021, 19:48   #28
golem

I have two 1200s both with PCMCIA network cards. I use Roadshow and smbfs to connect to my NAS. Very rarely I will connect to Aminet directly with iBrowse but that is the only website I visit really.
Old 31 August 2021, 20:56   #29
nikosidis

My A1200 is online. Not difficult thanks to the PCMCIA port and compatible network cards.
Old 01 September 2021, 01:18   #30
scarrabri

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
I'm using ethernet on my Amigas mostly for transfering files in the LAN. There are not so many internet services you could use nowadays, but theoretically they are online all the time.

I would guess the two most frequently used internet applications on my Amigas are wget for transfering files from a web server (e.g. Aminet) and NTP to update my time while booting (my A3000 has not even a battery).
Hi and thank you for your post my friend after reading so many posts about the Amiga still going strong after all this time and the question is,how can this be and why should the humble Amiga still have a foot old in a crowded market all around the world people still speak with affection and love and refuses to die and is more famouse than the Beatles were at there peak ,amazing and a Standing Ovation to the Amiga.
Old 01 September 2021, 02:25   #31
scarrabri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Mine are online too, the main reason being smbfs to mount my NAS share, then second I use the UHC tools when I need something from Aminet. Sometimes a bit of FTP using AmiTradeCenter.

Web browsing is not a fun experience on an Amiga, so I rarely do that. Same with IRC - I prefer to telnet out to a jump host on my LAN, ssh over to where-ever I want to go and then attach to my IRC screen instead of using an Amiga IRC client.
Thanks for your post my friend it is of great interest to me but what amazes me most is i used to think that the Amiga lovers were just strange little people who played about with a odd looking plastic thing called the Amiga and boy was i wrong as it is they turned out to the cleverest help any one people i have ever come across and a huge thankyou goes out to you my friend ps i now own a A600 AND a A1200 and a A2000 of which my 600 and 1200 both take ther place on the net ,bye
Old 01 September 2021, 04:09   #32
scarrabri

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
You should have made a pool on this question.
Maybe mods can make it.

Nope, I only use my A500 with Aca 500+ offline, but I'd definitely what to try some Amiga online... some day...
Hi my dear friend and thankyou for your input ,you will get on line and you will love it with your Amiga as it slowly searches the net and finds its destination with ease that always leaves me amazed and kinda proud to be the owner of one ,good luck my friend
Old 03 October 2021, 19:14   #33
morten.dynamite

My A1200 has an PlipBox with Roadshow and IBrowse 2.5.5.
Old 03 October 2021, 20:28   #34
Seiya

today not, but many years ago i used A1200 + 68040 to surf in internet with miamiDX and ibrowse 1.x/2.x. and modem 14,4k
Old 03 October 2021, 20:32   #35
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I am hanging on IMP almost every night from my 1230 plus Roadshow plus PCMCIA LAN card.
Old 03 October 2021, 20:43   #36
morten.dynamite

Just as a little note my first computer to be on the Internet was my A1200 with a 28.8k modem in 1996.
Old 10 November 2021, 00:50   #37
beanz

Keep meaning to get a network adapter but haven't yet.
Old 10 November 2021, 01:38   #38
Pyromania

I rarely do but Wayfarer seems to do a respectable job on MorphOS.
Old 10 November 2021, 14:22   #39
Daedalus

Yep, at least a couple of my Amigas are online (and back in the days of dialup, my A1200 acted as the internet gateway for my other machines, including my PC). Very little in the way of browsing is done other than downloading from Aminet or OS4Depot, but other options are used semi-regularly, like FTP, occasional email and IRC, and now sometimes IMP3.

On the local network, all my connected machines use my NAS as a central sharing drive, making transfers between machines very easy using SMBFS and SMBMounter. And Synergy gets some use on the LAN too for sharing my PC's mouse and keyboard across the network.
Old 10 November 2021, 14:29   #40
wiz12

Is it safe to leave an Amiga connected to the Internet from a security point of view, any risk of getting viruses or even hacked?