English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 18 September 2013, 17:29   #1
ImmortalA1000

Reproduction boxes for Amiga games?

You may know that there is a thriving industry supplying various replacement cartridge boxes from Atari VCS to Super Nintendo and I was wondering if people would be interested in such things for Amiga games?

For example getting a brand new and 99.999999% (to prevent sellers palming them off as new boxed games of course they need to be ever so slightly different) of things like Dungeon Master or perhaps the pop-corn gatefold large Cinemaware boxes would be of interest to anyone?

Some boxes would be impossible to do for a reasonable price in small runs eg Rainbird games but games that come in cardboard boxes are possible. I will get some made for myself and then post pictures....fed up with crushed/ripped boxes being all that is available.

(sorry if this is in the wrong section, no idea where to post this topic)
Old 18 September 2013, 18:38   #2
TroelsDK
Registered Amiga Maniac

Personally I would not be interested.

As you say someone would likely turn this in to scams and selling games as originals. I would strongly suggest that there would be made a clear REPRINT mark on the box (and manuals) so this could be avoided.

Some of my game boxes shows the mark of time, but as long as it is bearable I think it is part of the charm. I wouldn't want to own a "box" of e.g. Giana Sisters if it was a copy. It would be blasphemy to put something like that up against the originals.
Old 19 September 2013, 02:07   #3
ImmortalA1000

Fair enough, I personally can't stand ripped/torn boxes.

The boxes are not 100% identical in either text on them or construction (I'm not investing in an A2 photo printer just to do Cinemaware popcorn boxes on one sheet of very expensive card etc) but I draw the line at watermarking them with the words "reproduction" or whatever. They do however look great on the shelf and in the case of my VCS games keep both the game media and the manuals in pristine condition inside them
Old 20 September 2013, 13:24   #4
sokolovic

I'd prefer to buy a brand new boxed amiga game...
Old 20 September 2013, 16:47   #5
TroelsDK
Registered Amiga Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Do you mean NOS or a 2013 brand new game?

I would love the later! what is going on with "Babylon Twins"???
They promised us an Amiga version, boxed or not, it is long overdue.
I recently bought The Incredible adventures of Moebius Goatlizard, not a big box but still a nice release!
Old 20 September 2013, 19:14   #6
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
I'd love to as well. I've been thinking about this for years, it would be cool to design a new standard sized box for new homebrew Amiga games, similar to what RGCD is doing for C64. I don't think they need to be anywhere near as big as the old Amiga and PC game boxes, just something large enough to hold a floppy disk, a small printed manual or folded poster, and a feely if anyone ends up including one in their game.

I built prototype this out of some thin, black cardboard from inside an art book, but try to imagine it as a denser card board with nice artwork printed over it, with a nice, printed label on the disk. If every other classic system out there can have nicely published, boxed homebrew games, I don't see why we can't. I'd buy them, I'm sure plenty of others would too, including new and returning Amiga people and collectors who wouldn't even open the box, but buy a few copies to keep until the value goes up.

The inside of the box would have another piece of cardboard which is cut out, folded and stuck inside to hold the disk and booklet in place like a pocket with grooves in it for the disk. In the end I imagine the quality to be along the lines of this:

Now THIS game needs an Amiga version! It's out on just about everything else, including C64, Spectrum, Mega Drive and others. Not that it looks like the best game ever, but it would just be nice to have a new, multi-platform game released on the Amiga and it looks fun enough.
Old 20 September 2013, 19:20   #7
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroelsDK View Post
Do you mean NOS or a 2013 brand new game?

I would love the later! what is going on with "Babylon Twins"???
They promised us an Amiga version, boxed or not, it is long overdue.
I recently bought The Incredible adventures of Moebius Goatlizard, not a big box but still a nice release!
I recall the Babylonian Twins guys were waiting/hoping for a publishing platform to appear for the Amiga before they could publish it. Currently we have no-one publishing boxed disk games and don't even have anything like an app store to sell it on. If we want games like that, we have to work on these publishing platforms ourselves first. A visual web front-end for Aminet presented in a similar way to app stores on other platforms, where each piece of software has not only a description but screenshots, user ratings and comments, download links and purchase links if the software is commercial or shareware is something the community needs if we want better access to more new software.
Old 02 October 2016, 01:24   #8
IceVAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
Now THIS game needs an Amiga version! It's out on just about everything else, including C64, Spectrum, Mega Drive and others. Not that it looks like the best game ever, but it would just be nice to have a new, multi-platform game released on the Amiga and it looks fun enough.
Your wish has been granted! Work in progress. Soon more news.
[ Show youtube player ]