English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 04 July 2021, 00:47   #21
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

The very memorable F-29 Retaliator. The video contains an unboxing of the "Amiga Flight of Fantasy" promotional release, an overview and a comparison with the Atari ST, PC and FM Towns versions.

Nice detailed 3D models, but unrealistic even by 1989 standards.
The review on the magazine I used to read at the time presented it as one of the best flight simulators ever, which I believed until I played it myself!
Not a bad game though
Old 14 July 2021, 21:08   #22
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

Birds of Prey by Argonaut Software. Nice flight simulator which let you fly almost every airplane you could dream of, even the Russian ones.
When I bought it and watched the intro I hoped that the actual game would look like that for a second, but I knew there was no way!
Anyway, it's got a nice flight model for the time and a dynamic campaign, but the weapons' delivery is not as realistic and the AI opponents are very easy to beat.
The video contains an Unboxing, Review and Gameplay of one mission on my desktop A1200 (68030)
Old 17 July 2021, 08:49   #23
Spyros

I also uploaded the Intro alone, but this time running on my Amiga 500 in NTSC

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 August 2021, 18:04   #24
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

Interdictor by Simis. A flight simulator for the Acorn Archimedes released in 1989. The video contains an unboxing, review and gameplay of one sortie running on my A3000.
Very good handling with fast and smooth graphics. It's very similar to Mig-29 Fulcrum released by the same company a few years later.
I remember reading in the magazine I used to buy in the 80s something about a lightning fast flight simulator exclusively for the Archimedes, but they didn't say a name. I'm pretty sure that this is the game they were referring to.
Old 22 October 2021, 11:08   #25
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

Sam's Introductory Demo running on my SAM Coupé. Loaded from the Flash! cassette which comes with the machine.
It features a graphics and stereo sound demonstration written in BASIC.
Old 22 November 2021, 16:43   #26
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

Resolution 101 by Astral Software. A sci-fi, 3D Shoot'em up game released in 1990. It sports nice and fast graphics looking very similar to Archipelagos and good sound with a catchy Rock 'n' Roll tune.
The video features unboxing of the Amiga version and a comparison with the Atari ST and PC.
Old 02 January 2022, 16:57   #27
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

Here's a little wishes & retrospective video. Happy new year!
Old 01 March 2022, 19:55   #28
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

A-10 Tank Killer by Dynamix/Sierra. The video features unboxing, review, comparison with the PC version and gameplay of one mission on my desktop A1200 (BlizzardIV).

I bought this one without having read a review beforehand and it turned out to be lower than my expectations as a sim, but it was generally a fun game.

The Amiga port was released in 1990, a year after the first PC version. It features nice 3D graphics and digitized photos in the menu screens as well as adequate sound, while realism is generally low though I liked the working VVI back in the day.
In 1991 v1.5 was released for PCs and the Amiga, sporting various fixes and improvements.
Old 05 March 2022, 12:16   #29
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

Precious Metal by Ocean. A compilation of 4 hit games for the Amiga namely Captain Blood, Arkanoid 2, Xenon and Crazy Cars (Super Hang On on the ST).
The video contains unboxing, a short review and gameplay footage for each game on my Amiga 500.
I had noticed the advert in the magazine I used to read in 1989, but didn't buy this one back in the day. I got it from eBay in around 2008 just to own it, because of the memories of that magazine.
Old 02 April 2022, 09:51   #30
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

Maniac Mansion by LucasFilm Games. The video features Unboxing of the Amiga version, trivia, and comparison with the ST, PC, Commodore 64, Apple 2 and Nintendo versions.

I was under the impression that this was a horror game, until I bought it and took a closer look at the cover at home. That's when I realized it wasn't what I was expecting and got a little worried.
Fortunately, the game turned out to be excellent, with nice humour and an immersive teenager film mood.
It was one of my favourite adventure games!
Old 17 August 2022, 20:02   #31
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

Midwinter for the Atari ST. The video contains unboxing and comparison with the Amiga and PC versions

Quite an atmospheric action/strategy game with nice 3D graphics. I used to play it quite a bit on the Amiga. It was easy to finish, but I used to take the long route just to be immersed.
Old 28 August 2022, 23:17   #32
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]

Eye of the Beholder for the Amiga. The video features unboxing, review and the first part of a playthrough on my Amiga 500. I'll try to finish it, time permitting.
Old 19 November 2022, 16:24   #33
Spyros

[ Show youtube player ]
Silent Service 2 by Microprose. Sequel to the legendary Silent Service, with improved graphics and sound.
The video features unboxing of the Amiga version, a brief overview and gameplay of one mission on my Amiga 500.
Old 19 November 2022, 18:44   #34
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyros View Post
[ Show youtube player ]
Silent Service 2 by Microprose. Sequel to the legendary Silent Service, with improved graphics and sound.
The video features unboxing of the Amiga version, a brief overview and gameplay of one mission on my Amiga 500.

Looks like a great game! I wonder how it compares to Blue War III on the ST. The graphics are simpler on Blue War but the game play is very tight with a great feel to the patrolling and action. It's quite open ending with the main aim just getting promoted by sinking as many enemy vessels as you can!
Old 19 November 2022, 19:29   #35
Spyros

@BigD
I've never played Blue War, so I can't say.

As with most Microprose games, Silent Service is a blend of simulation and gameplay. So it won't bother you with TMA calculations or sonar, as all this is supposed to be handled by your crew. You are making the calls as the captain and on the action part you aim and launch the sub's weapons. It's generally quite easy and enjoyable for everyone I think.

On the simulation part (though I was never really into naval stuff), it does offer thermal layers, submarine and torpedo types based on year (including dud torpedoes) enemy depth charges etc. Today it may look quite simple, but in the 80s I think it could really be considered a sim.

Gameplaywise it gives you some historical missions to play, or you can do a patrol which is more open ended, like what you described.
You're given a patrol area and get promoted based on tonnage sunk. Of course, you also need to mind your fuel in order to make it back to port.

It's not very different from the original Silent Service, but the graphics look much better.
Overall, I'd say it is a very nice game in deed.