English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 May 2012, 20:34   #1
mancity

What have I done to my AMIGA? (Keyboard issue)

So,

I took my Amiga 1200 apart because I wanted to try the Retr0bright clean.

I took the 5 screws out of the back, turned it over and removed the top half of the case. I then removed the 2 screws holding the 3 access lights. Then I went for the keyboard ribbon, It seems like you lift the plastic socket slightly to release the ribbon, which I did and then when the keyboard was separated, proceeded to remove all the keys.

Now im not doing the Retr0bright until tomorrow, just removed the keys so I could clean them tonight in readiness, but thought I fancied a game on the Amiga, so re-attached the keyboard and case etc and tried to the the Amiga on.

It started fine, but the keyboard doesn't work . I then switched it off and removed and re-attached the ribbon (I can only assume the ribbon to mobo socket is the issue) a few times and still the keyboard wont work . I tried with the ribbon right down, only slightly in, the plastic socket piece all the way up, halfway down, right down etc etc etc (every combo) and still it doesn't work .

HOWEVER, for some weird reason, the system did not load up properly twice whilst I was trying the keyboard, it just went to a grey screen and would not access the CF HD? This never happened before?

AND, the CTRL+A+A to reboot STILL WORKED?!?!?! Just when I load AmigaDOS and type something nothing appears and when I try booting and holding LMD to get to the prompt, nothing appears when I type there either.

Can anybody shed some light on this please? I can only assume I am connecting the ribbon wrongly but I cannot see any other way of doing other than simply pushing it into the ribbon clip.

Last edited by mancity; 02 May 2012 at 20:40.
Old 02 May 2012, 20:51   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

I think ribbon may be old and some parts inside snapped when you change position.
Old 02 May 2012, 20:54   #3
mancity

Think I need to buy a new keyboard then?
Old 02 May 2012, 20:56   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

You should wait for someone else, maybe somebody have different solution.
Old 02 May 2012, 20:59   #5
janikosk

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...eyboard+ribbon

Found this thread. I dont know is there any help to you, but it's easy job to try and nothing to loose.

Last edited by janikosk; 02 May 2012 at 21:09.
Old 02 May 2012, 21:08   #6
mancity

Hmmm maybe worth a try if all else fails. It's just VERY weird that it's not working because I dis-connected it.

Think i'll try giving the cable a clean and a rub first before I start cutting bits off or ordering a new keyboard.

For the ribbon, when connecting it, am I right in thinking you lift the white plastic klip, push the ribbon right in and then press the clip down to lock it in?
Old 02 May 2012, 21:17   #7
janikosk

Never disconnected it so i'm not sure but i think it goes like you mentioned. Just got my A1200 couple weeks ago. Maybe you can try cleaning before cutting it.
Old 02 May 2012, 22:46   #8
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

About retrobrightning an A1200 keyboard you don't need to take off all the keys one by one (PITA), just separate them from the membraine and you can retrobright them that way. Later you clean them with water (in the shower if you like) then hair dryer till you don't have a drop of water. Then I use to use a wax spray for furnitures all around to prevent from rust and then you clean it all again.

Last edited by Retrofan; 03 May 2012 at 20:14.
Old 02 May 2012, 22:53   #9
mancity

The keys were filthy though and needed a major scrubbing.

Will have a go at fixing it again tomorrow morning and then looks like im going to have to shell out 20 notes for a new one
Old 02 May 2012, 23:42   #10
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancity View Post
The keys were filthy though and needed a major scrubbing.

Will have a go at fixing it again tomorrow morning and then looks like im going to have to shell out 20 notes for a new one

You better spend 4,50 pounds http://www.ebay.es/itm/Amiga-1200-ke...item1c26707526
Old 03 May 2012, 00:00   #11
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

if you do need a new keyboard get one from here new and garenteed also support real amiga guys.

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=336
Old 03 May 2012, 06:08   #12
alenppc

@mancity

Lift the plastic keyboard cap from the motherboard connector all the way up. Push the green cable all the way down, as far as it would go, push down the plastic tab until it locks. Also remember to always touch a grounded metal surface before touching any motherboard surface to get rid of any static electricity beforehand which could kill the onboard components.

If the flat cable connections are worn at the edges, it is possible to cut off a very thin slice of it (1 mm or so) using a ruler and a sharp cutter knife, but this should be done as last resort.

Check if the caps lock key is slowly flashing on the keyboard. If it is, it means that the keyboard controller has crashed. A cold reboot usually fixes that problem.

Hope this helps...
Old 03 May 2012, 08:57   #13
mancity

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
@mancity

Lift the plastic keyboard cap from the motherboard connector all the way up. Push the green cable all the way down, as far as it would go, push down the plastic tab until it locks. Also remember to always touch a grounded metal surface before touching any motherboard surface to get rid of any static electricity beforehand which could kill the onboard components.

If the flat cable connections are worn at the edges, it is possible to cut off a very thin slice of it (1 mm or so) using a ruler and a sharp cutter knife, but this should be done as last resort.

Check if the caps lock key is slowly flashing on the keyboard. If it is, it means that the keyboard controller has crashed. A cold reboot usually fixes that problem.

Hope this helps...
Hi mate,

When I turn the Amiga on, the CAPS key flashes on and off just the once. Is this the crash you mention?
Old 03 May 2012, 09:43   #14
roy bates

the one flash means theres no keyboard i think.

where the little white connector is you lift it up then insert the cable,then push the clip back down.
Old 03 May 2012, 09:49   #15
mancity

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
the one flash means theres no keyboard i think.

where the little white connector is you lift it up then insert the cable,then push the clip back down.
The flash is coming from the CAPS key on the actual keyboard though, so surely this is indicating that power is going through the ribbon cable to the keyboard?

Im not sure on a working keyboard whether or not the CAPS key flashes at all when you turn on the AMIGA?

Im getting a new keyboard now anyway, but I would like to try fix this tonight whilst awaiting delivery and also as I dont want to throw it away.
Old 03 May 2012, 15:47   #16
alenppc

Quote:
The flash is coming from the CAPS key on the actual keyboard though, so surely this is indicating that power is going through the ribbon cable to the keyboard?

Im not sure on a working keyboard whether or not the CAPS key flashes at all when you turn on the AMIGA?

Im getting a new keyboard now anyway, but I would like to try fix this tonight whilst awaiting delivery and also as I dont want to throw it away.
This first flash is normal, it indicates a reset of the keyboard controller. Only if it keeps flashing it means that the controller crashed. So yes, it means the power is getting to the keyboard - it's possible that the motherboard controller got damaged, or that not all of the flat cable pins are connecting. I guess you'll find out once you get a new keyboard.
Old 03 May 2012, 16:01   #17
mancity

What would I do if the new keyboard doesn't work then?

I presume it's the mobo controller, but is this fixable? I cant see how anything could be damaged as I moved everything very gently without force.
Old 03 May 2012, 16:36   #18
kipper2k

Quote:
What would I do if the new keyboard doesn't work then?

I presume it's the mobo controller, but is this fixable? I cant see how anything could be damaged as I moved everything very gently without force.
everything is fixable, just a case of cost, labour etc. The mobo does have a keyboard controller IC chip on the mobo so it is possible that the IC is fried, (its a 4 sided IC, can't remember the number off hand). Do not throw it away if you can't fix it, sell it as broken, people are always looking for parts (including me
Old 03 May 2012, 16:45   #19
mancity

It better not be fried! lol.

I can only assume it's the ribbon because it stopped working when I dis-connected it, so i'll have a go at cutting a section of ribbon off tonight and exposing the wire and also try the new keyboard once received and see from there.
Old 03 May 2012, 16:52   #20
kipper2k

Quote:
It better not be fried! lol.

I can only assume it's the ribbon because it stopped working when I dis-connected it, so i'll have a go at cutting a section of ribbon off tonight and exposing the wire and also try the new keyboard once received and see from there.
before you cut off some ribbon...

Use a sharp utility knife and gently scrape each trace on the ribbon, just enough so that it may clean off any oxides etc and retry it

if that doesnt work, leave the ribbon friction plate down and evenly pull out the cable (this may clean it up a bit), lift up friction plate, insert ribbon and push friction plate down and retry.