English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 22 May 2017, 06:54   #21
Aladin

but amikit real not support p96/cgx... lots of patch useless for rtg workbench... size more important that amikit 8,5... i prefer use normal amikit (just remove patchmsb, and replace mathieeedoubbas.library mathieeedoubtrans.library mathieeesingtrans.library)

Last edited by Aladin; 22 May 2017 at 07:02.
Old 22 May 2017, 07:25   #22
ptyerman

OS3.1 doesn't support p96/cgx either until you install the drivers.
But sure, you can install any distro available with a bit of work I suppose. I don't have a Vampire yet so haven't tried, AmigaSYS 4 will be my first attempt I think once I do get one.
Old 22 May 2017, 10:37   #23
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladin View Post
When will amikit be free?
What do you say? AmiKit 8 has been Always free and will be. It's for AmiKit X that you have to pay if you want it.

In my case I prefer to support first a live project. But of course AmigaSys should also be supported (with money, yes). It's a great distro. If you read its site, it's stopped because of a lack of economic support. You know? Even just having that site there costs money to pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladin View Post
but amikit real not support p96/cgx... lots of patch useless for rtg workbench... size more important that amikit 8,5...
I don't know what are you talking about:

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/0b06...2b43149e4d.png

And I get this on WinUAE starting with AGA making just 4 clicks.

And it seems that it also works with the Vampire. If you have a problem with size it must be because you haven't ever bought a CF, there are more sizes than 1Gb.

Last edited by Retrofan; 22 May 2017 at 11:29.
Old 22 May 2017, 11:00   #24
Romanujan

MCP:
Quote:
Dieter Groppé has updated his well known Master Control Program for AmiKit. Version 1.49c brings some bugfixes.
AmiStart:
Quote:
The powerful taskbar has been updated for AmiKit! In version 0.70, Darius Brewka added few new features and squashed some bugs too!
AfA_OS:
Quote:
The legendary project bringing modern AROS features to an aging 68k world has been updated to v4.8 thanks to B. Roesch and T. Klein.
ShowAmiga96:
Quote:
Heiko Mueller updated his bootpic viewer for AmiKit. Now it supports higher resolutions.
This is why I truly hate the AmiKit - they are trying to monopolize everything. I have no problem paying for Amiga software and its updates - but making the updates of standalone software available only as a part of some big bloatware package is a big no-go for me.
Old 22 May 2017, 11:03   #25
Aladin

With the old versions of amikit, they were paying at the beginning (usb key) then became free after a moment. If not what amikit 8.5 will soon be updated also? (mui, whdload, netsurf, etc...)

AKreal: I had installed akreal 8.8 on happiga raspberry, but this version was aga only, I had to modify it (exemple: remove CyberBugFix). I may have been cheating from downloading, sorry retrofan. Thank you for all your work

Last edited by Aladin; 22 May 2017 at 11:16.
Old 22 May 2017, 11:14   #26
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

It's one thing to be including this software in a free product......and quite another to be charging for it, without even checking with the relevant coders whether this is OK. And when he knows for a fact that at least some of the coders (PeterK etc.) are unhappy about him selling their work for his own personal profit and obviously he doesn't care at all about that.

The licence conditions for most of these components do not allow selling as part of a commercial package without permission. Not sure why this is competely overlooked. Especially as he has raised a lot of drama in the past about "piracy"; it is nothing but hypocrisy.

Last edited by Minuous; 22 May 2017 at 13:40.
Old 22 May 2017, 11:40   #27
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I'm talking as a user only, but as long as I can also download the programs you say for free in the other AmiKit version, I don't see why can't he make a version in which you pay just if you want what he adds now. Just my 2 cents.
Old 22 May 2017, 11:52   #28
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

So just because he also has a crippled "free version" he is allowed to scam the Amiga community!? He should clearly separate his "work" from the things that he has stolen from Amiga coders.

Last edited by Minuous; 22 May 2017 at 13:41.
Old 22 May 2017, 12:44   #29
AMIGASYSTEM

Anyone knows where to find AFA_OS 4.8 ?
Old 22 May 2017, 14:26   #30
Dic_Ray

I really can't understand all this excitement. AmiKit is a great and innovative bundle of an Amiga environment and IMHO worth the money. Ján Zahurančík has spend a huge amount of time to create it and reached to bring a system to the masses, which was sometimes difficult to configure. So, instead to scream, everyone is free to send him wishs, how to make this bundle even better.
Old 22 May 2017, 23:36   #31
idrougge

Where would his work be without the software his work is built upon?
Old 23 May 2017, 00:37   #32
PeterK

Jan says people like me believing that the spirit of the Amiga community means "sharing creativity" are like communists.

I'm very proud now to be an Amiga communist !
Old 23 May 2017, 05:06   #33
gulliver
BoingBagged

@PeterK

Welcome to the party camarade!
Old 23 May 2017, 10:48   #34
Seiya

i quote "sharing creativity"
mod and fan productions must be preserverted freely, not for any commercial interest.
If somenone want to give a donations is his freely only choice

Last edited by Seiya; 23 May 2017 at 11:34.
Old 23 May 2017, 11:44   #35
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Jan says people like me believing that the spirit of the Amiga community means "sharing creativity" are like communists.

Where did he write that?
Old 23 May 2017, 11:51   #36
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
It's one thing to be including this software in a free product......and quite another to be charging for it, without even checking with the relevant coders whether this is OK. And when he knows for a fact that at least some of the coders (PeterK etc.) are unhappy about him selling their work for his own personal profit and obviously he doesn't care at all about that.

The licence conditions for most of these components do not allow selling as part of a commercial package without permission. Not sure why this is competely overlooked. Especially as he has raised a lot of drama in the past about "piracy"; it is nothing but hypocrisy.
I could not do the same with Aros Vision, at least not if I want to be safe on the legal side. As Minuous wrote, many devs back in the days (most 68k components were developed in the 90s) are only legal to distribute free of charge, or for a very small fee. The idea was that they could distributed by the famous PD discs. If I would like to ask for more than few euros (and even then I am not sure if it would be legal) I would need permission by the developers, in some cases even written permissions. The problem: most contact informations including emails are outdated and it is impossible to find them anymore. In some cases the devs even died. So in short... it would be impossible to get something legal today, even if I wanted so I would not try and keep it free of charge. If Jan managed to get all the permissions for commercial distributions for all that components gratulations.
Old 23 May 2017, 12:08   #37
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I'm talking as a user only, but as long as I can also download the programs you say for free in the other AmiKit version, I don't see why can't he make a version in which you pay just if you want what he adds now. Just my 2 cents.
from my legal understanding you need permission for commercial distribution in any case, even if you offer it additional for free in a reduced version. If I would do something similar the download package would stay free of charge and only my own addons would have to be bought separately. But he is free to do what he likes.
Old 23 May 2017, 12:19   #38
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
it may be our east block trauma. dont be too hard on him for that
however sharing work is the only reasonable choice left for the community i think. but i have easy say..
Old 23 May 2017, 14:24   #39
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafSch View Post
Where did he write that?
He told me something in that sense in an email but I won't quote private messages here.
Old 23 May 2017, 23:08   #40
idrougge

Even capitalists tend to pay their suppliers.