English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 31 December 2020, 11:41   #61
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
I find it interesting that in every photo or video I've seen of the magazine, I've never seen a side shot to see exactly how thick it is.

I've been wondering about its weightiness. Amiga Format and CU Amiga in their heyday were nice hefty magazines. In their final issues, they were significantly thinner. I imagine that's what this magazine is like.
The magazine is 55 pages in length. The paper quality is higher than that of magazines from back in the day. There are very few adverts in the publication so the majority of the issue is pure content.

I’m sure they’ll be when to increase the page count if they get more people advertising and contributing.

There’s content in the magazine you can’t find online. You should give it a try.
Old 31 December 2020, 17:42   #62
Deaths_Head

The quality blew me away. Can't wait for the next issue.
Old 31 December 2020, 18:30   #63
Radertified

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post
The magazine is 55 pages in length. The paper quality is higher than that of magazines from back in the day. There are very few adverts in the publication so the majority of the issue is pure content.

I’m sure they’ll be when to increase the page count if they get more people advertising and contributing.

There’s content in the magazine you can’t find online. You should give it a try.
Thanks for the response!

I considered buying/subscribing when it still needed preorders but decided against it.

I've been teetering on buying it for a while so I know I'll probably pounce soon enough
Old 31 December 2020, 19:20   #64
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post

I think the number of pages is perfect. If the mag takes off I would like to see the bigger style pages we got on the old mags with some beautiful screen shot layouts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Amiga Addict Magazine:

Also please add a regular CD32 section and I will forgive you for this troll

Last edited by Gilbert; 31 December 2020 at 22:39.
Old 01 January 2021, 15:24   #65
rats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
I think the number of pages is perfect. If the mag takes off I would like to see the bigger style pages we got on the old mags with some beautiful screen shot layouts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Amiga Addict Magazine:

Also please add a regular CD32 section and I will forgive you for this troll

Haha you will be suprised, A new CD32 sections is coming in Issue 2. Heres a preview of the front cover https://i.imgur.com/9y2hw1h.jpg
Old 01 January 2021, 19:16   #66
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats View Post
Haha you will be suprised, A new CD32 sections is coming in Issue 2. Heres a preview of the front cover https://i.imgur.com/9y2hw1h.jpg
That is awesome. Sounds like it will be a regular feature!
Old 01 January 2021, 22:50   #67
thairacerjp

+1 guilbert ! yeah awesome idea for CD32 owners, later it could have a special supply
for a cd32 mag like back in the days with
Amiga Format, CD32 have news extensions card and
more possibilities, could add tutorials for share experience.
the funny thing, AF was under Future publishing, i french and i have worked
in french PC magazine with this group in 2008 lol !

Old 05 January 2021, 16:35   #68
Gilbert

It's great to see a CD32 fan from France. Salut! Were there many CD32 owners out there?

I only had the free CD32 supplement mag that came with Amiga Format but have recently been reading CD32 Gamer Magazine scans on line. It looks very good! I want to buy them to read - but they are hard to find

Amiga Format was my favourite Amiga mag back in the day. Also used to read The One, but preferred it's earlier more glossy days
Old 05 January 2021, 18:06   #69
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
It's great to see a CD32 fan from France. Salut! Were there many CD32 owners out there?

I only had the free CD32 supplement mag that came with Amiga Format but have recently been reading CD32 Gamer Magazine scans on line. It looks very good! I want to buy them to read - but they are hard to find

Amiga Format was my favourite Amiga mag back in the day. Also used to read The One, but preferred it's earlier more glossy days

I used to love listening to cover disc audio tracks in my portable CD Walkman. Lamburgini Challenge was my favorite. I think the bump and burn track.

back on topic.
Any one know if next issue is available for pre-order?
Old 05 January 2021, 20:25   #70
thairacerjp

@Gilbert, yes, I think I the number one fan of CD32 in France, I support these console the best I can, follow innovations, make tutorial (in French for now) and have a small channel YouTube where I have most of video about CD32 :
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrThairacer/videos
it's a lot of fun really, yes there is some CD32 owners here,UK was number one but france sold not bad despite the wrong marketing choices of C= .
and Whsmith in Paris was my headquarters for keep my UK magazines, so good old times !! , we had also "Amiga Dream" who supported the CD32 long time after bankrupt .
Old 05 January 2021, 20:38   #71
spudisgood

First impressions are very good. As others have mentioned the nimble page count is forgiven by the high quality of the paper used, and the content is weighted heavily in favour of articles over advertising. I think areas for improvement are the covers, and I would like to see if the magazine grows for the page count to increase and the possibility of a Cover CD like they do with Amiga Future. Perhaps someone could get hold of Neil Bothwick? ;-)
Old 06 January 2021, 03:34   #72
AmigaBill

Stick out tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudisgood View Post
I think areas for improvement are the covers
I COMPLETELY disagree Just kidding
Old 07 January 2021, 11:08   #73
Wavemaker

Nice to see some competition in the magazine world. I fondly remember waiting for those UK Amiga magazines to show up in the news stand. That's how I learned english after all

Did anyone have any trouble receiving it because of the whole Brexit/COVID and whatnot? Got many packages lost in limbo in the latest months.
Old 07 January 2021, 15:09   #74
PixelsAtDawn
Amiga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
back on topic.
Any one know if next issue is available for pre-order?
I do We only needed pre-orders for Issue 1 - every issue from now on will just go on sale as soon as it goes to the printers, just like when you'd walk into the newsagent and find a new copy of your favourite mag was just sitting waiting on the shelf!

As for when that will be, should be in the next two weeks, we're just finishing up.
Old 07 January 2021, 16:36   #75
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by thairacerjp View Post
@Gilbert, yes, I think I the number one fan of CD32 in France, I support these console the best I can, follow innovations, make tutorial (in French for now) and have a small channel YouTube where I have most of video about CD32 :
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrThairacer/videos
it's a lot of fun really, yes there is some CD32 owners here,UK was number one but france sold not bad despite the wrong marketing choices of C= .
and Whsmith in Paris was my headquarters for keep my UK magazines, so good old times !! , we had also "Amiga Dream" who supported the CD32 long time after bankrupt .
Very pleased to meet the no.1 French fan of the CD32! I was just watching your T-Zero video. That's good there are a lot of fans on the other side of the Channel too!

I will have to see if I can find any scans for Amiga Dream online. Will be interesting to see what it was like. With Google Lens is easy to translate text in place on a page too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelsAtDawn View Post
I do We only needed pre-orders for Issue 1 - every issue from now on will just go on sale as soon as it goes to the printers, just like when you'd walk into the newsagent and find a new copy of your favourite mag was just sitting waiting on the shelf!

As for when that will be, should be in the next two weeks, we're just finishing up.
I got a 6 month subscription. Which I'll keep if there is regular CD32 section. Would be great if you could sneak some copies onto the shelves in WHSmiths when Covid is over. Sure many people would pick it up on an impulse buy and confuse the cashier.

Really like the magazine so far. My only criticism is the 2 longer interviews with Dave Hayne and the guy from Cloanata didn't seem that readable in places. Maybe it was just me, but thought they could have been edited down a bit more. I enjoyed both of them still, but just some parts I was tuning out on. Really good for a first issue though.
Old 07 January 2021, 17:04   #76
PixelsAtDawn
Amiga Addict

Quote:
Really like the magazine so far. My only criticism is the 2 longer interviews with Dave Hayne and the guy from Cloanata didn't seem that readable in places. Maybe it was just me, but thought they could have been edited down a bit more. I enjoyed both of them still, but just some parts I was tuning out on. Really good for a first issue though.
Thanks for the sub and the feedback! It's all useful. We try and keep the majority of what is said in the interviews in the mag, but there is probably some room to leave some more things 'on the cutting room floor'.
Old 08 January 2021, 23:48   #77
Akiko

I got the first issue out of curiosity and was blown away by the quality, obviously a lot of passion has gone it's creation and hopefully it's very successful.

I was rather pleased when my partner asked what I was reading and out of the blue offered me a full year subscription, although I understand when you subscribe it starts from the current issue, so would be cool if you allowed those who are trialing the magazine for the first time the option to subscribe from the next issue, rather than waiting for it's publication and perhaps forgetting about it.
Old 09 January 2021, 19:16   #78
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
would be cool if you allowed those who are trialing the magazine for the first time the option to subscribe from the next issue, rather than waiting for it's publication and perhaps forgetting about it.
Same. I bought just the 1st issue but would like to subscribe from Feb 2021.

One small thing I would like to add. It would be nice to see the authors name against each article.
Old 09 January 2021, 19:35   #79
PixelsAtDawn
Amiga Addict

We tend to put the author's name in the byline at the top, especially for reviews. But we're changing this as we go (in fact we were discussing it a few minutes ago!)
Old 10 January 2021, 03:50   #80
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Quote:
... My only criticism is the 2 longer interviews with Dave Hayne and the guy from Cloanata didn't seem that readable in places. Maybe it was just me, but thought they could have been edited down a bit more. I enjoyed both of them still, but just some parts I was tuning out on. Really good for a first issue though.
I think the proofing and editing process will be tweaked over time as everyone gets into their jobs. I really liked the longer articles. The opportunity for real in depth stories is quite exciting to me.