English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 22 February 2021, 01:28   #121
yelworC

Does not work for me. Downloaded the 0.2 beta, extracted exe from adf to harddisk and started. There was some text in the console output followed by a Guru. This was the first try from my RTG Workbench.

Second try was a restart with minimal direct to Shell startup-sequence (setpatch, env: and some assigns) without RTG and stuff and the same Guru was the result.

It's an Amiga 4000 with 3.1 Roms (patched with 3.9 updates). Cyberstorm MK1 040/40 with 80 megs fast ram.

Last edited by yelworC; 22 February 2021 at 01:41.
Old 22 February 2021, 08:09   #122
jotd
This cat is no more

try whdload version then
Old 22 February 2021, 10:00   #123
yelworC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
try whdload version then
I would love to try but I can't find a slave for this. Searched this thread and WHDLoad page. Is there kind of a generic default slave to try?
Old 22 February 2021, 11:07   #124
jotd
This cat is no more

beta version is in the zone (http://eab.abime.net/zone/Tinyus_v1.0.lha). Waiting for final release to make it official
Old 22 February 2021, 11:08   #125
yelworC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
beta version is in the zone. Waiting for final release to make it official
Thank you! will try this :-)

Edit: Works like a charm. Great game and great work with the WHDLoad slave. :-)

Last edited by yelworC; 22 February 2021 at 11:27.
Old 22 February 2021, 19:39   #126
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelworC View Post
Second try was a restart with minimal direct to Shell startup-sequence (setpatch, env: and some assigns) without RTG and stuff and the same Guru was the result.

It's an Amiga 4000 with 3.1 Roms (patched with 3.9 updates). Cyberstorm MK1 040/40 with 80 megs fast ram.
Glad you got it working with the WHDLoad slave.

For 040, turn off Copyback Cache. It improved performance for 040, but is a cache that is incompatible with the majority of software without giving 040 special treatment. So most software lacks it and the slave likely just turns off that cache.
Old 23 February 2021, 00:08   #127
no9

Not sure if this was already discussed. Is there reasoning behind implementation of DOUBLE shoots upgrade? It is different from arcade, where both projectiles are triggered independently from each other.
Old 23 February 2021, 21:11   #128
mrupp

A tiny suggestion:
How about when pressing ESC during the game, you get back to the title screen instead of quitting the program? If I loose a life during the first level, I'd rather quit and start from scratch than go on without any upgrades... Alright, ANY level, to be honest...
Old 23 February 2021, 21:25   #129
mrupp

Possible bugs with Beta 0.2:
  • There still seems to be an issue with collision detection: Boss level 1: as long as I keep moving, his shots pass straight through my ship.
  • Checkpoints (level 1): I lost a life just when the landscape on top and bottom appears, but restarted further into the level, where the landscape on top and bottom horizontally fill the screen fully.
Old 23 February 2021, 21:45   #130
no9

Likewise. Died in space on level 1 and was respawned in cave.
Old 23 February 2021, 23:19   #131
Shadowfire

The technical prowess on display here is impressive.
Old 24 February 2021, 01:25   #132
mihcael
Zone Friend

Brilliant work by the Team, have loved testing it out so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrupp View Post
A tiny suggestion:
How about when pressing ESC during the game, you get back to the title screen instead of quitting the program? If I loose a life during the first level, I'd rather quit and start from scratch than go on without any upgrades... Alright, ANY level, to be honest...
I agree with this comment.

Could you make the options collectable when you die? Gives you a better chance of progressing further.
Old 24 February 2021, 02:06   #133
skyzoo73

Today I had time to lie in Tynius I noticed that:

- I have never had a blue bonus, of those that destroy all enemies.

- level with easter island heads, it's really hard. I happened to die many times from hitting parts of invisible scenery, even the number of bullets from the heads seems a bit excessive (in this case the slowing down of this part helps).
- I had 1 option, the missile and I took the bonus [?], after consuming it I was no longer able to take an OPTION, even having lit it, it did not give it to me. The problem resolved after he died.

- I have an idea - suggestion (I don't know if it can be implemented in the final version) you could add an option (in the title screen), to have the corners of the screen highlighted in order to allow the adjustment of the crt monitors to expand to full screen the game. (to recreate the arcade experience even more)

Hello and great work, as always

tested on Amiga 600 (2chip + 4fast)

Last edited by skyzoo73; 24 February 2021 at 02:07. Reason: (typing error)
Old 28 February 2021, 11:56   #134
Yesideez
(2b)||!(2b)

I got back from work yesterday and spent ALL DAY playing it (about 6 hours) and got absolutely nothing done!

BUG#1: When you go to the next level, if you've collected any "power up tokens" from the previous level, when you start collecting more the counter starts at the beginning yet the highlighted one stays highlighted. This means you get two highlighted power-ups until you collect past that power up.

BUG#2: I've got 3 lives selected in the options yet I start with 4 lives.

BUG#3: Collision detection on the end of level boss seems a bit off - I should have died a few times and lived to defeat the enemy.

I understand from reading the first couple of pages that the speed doesn't get reset to 0 when you die but to be honest - I prefer it like it is. I can barely bring myself back if I die past level 1 and if my ship was slower, I'd not make it at all. Even now as soon as I die, many times I crash my ship and start a new game.

Do we have a key to quit the game so we can start from scratch? I did try ESC but it quit the game completely :/

Love this game, was one of my absolute all-time favourites (Nemesis) from years back when I was little and when Project-X came out and I saw it ran on a similar system, I bought it but was let down because it was too bloody hard.

Well done on a top notch conversion - can't thank you enough on this!

Can I recommend Xevious next please? :P
Old 01 March 2021, 09:14   #135
mrupp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihcael View Post
Could you make the options collectable when you die? Gives you a better chance of progressing further.
I'm actually relieved that I'm not the only one feeling to be hopelessly lost as soon as loosing a life and having to go on without any powerups

How about an option in the options menu to choose Difficulty between "Arcade" and "Easy" (or "Beginner", if you like)?
In "Arcade" mode, you loose all your weapons just as in the arcade, in "Easy" mode you loose just some of them? Maybe something like this:
  • If you have protectors, you lose them
  • You lose one of the options
  • If you only have the laser but no options, you lose the laser and get the double instead
  • If you have the double, you lose it
  • You lose one speed level
Why not make the game EVEN BETTER than the original version? What do you think?

Last edited by mrupp; 01 March 2021 at 09:34.
Old 01 March 2021, 19:23   #136
Pollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrupp View Post
I'm actually relieved that I'm not the only one feeling to be hopelessly lost as soon as loosing a life and having to go on without any powerups

How about an option in the options menu to choose Difficulty between "Arcade" and "Easy" (or "Beginner", if you like)?
In "Arcade" mode, you loose all your weapons just as in the arcade, in "Easy" mode you loose just some of them? Maybe something like this:
  • If you have protectors, you lose them
  • You lose one of the options
  • If you only have the laser but no options, you lose the laser and get the double instead
  • If you have the double, you lose it
  • You lose one speed level
Why not make the game EVEN BETTER than the original version? What do you think?

Nah, then it wouldn't be the same as the arcade. if it's too hard, play it more, or practice on the arcade machine in MAME
Old 09 March 2021, 12:29   #137
zero

I'm with mrupp actually, I used to play some games with trainers because I just wanted to have some fun and the huge setbacks made me want to give up.

Most Japanese games are about memorizing the levels and ways to do each part, but if you lose all your stuff your techniques don't work anymore. Later games mostly ditched the idea of powerups entirely, or at least made them easier to reclaim.
Old 09 March 2021, 13:10   #138
Torti-the-Smurf

The File from the Floppy works flawless on the Amiga 600 Furia and is smooth like butter under the summer Sun and works from HD/CF, just like all the other Tiny games

Thank you so very much Abyss/Shin´en; really appreciated; i love youre stuff
Old 11 March 2021, 12:13   #139
Adrian Cummings
Mutation/AmigaDweeb

Just had a go and fantastic effort put into it in all respects. Superb!
Old 18 March 2021, 10:10   #140
ImmortalA1000

Well here's a thing to stumble on! beta 1.0 implies it is finished as far as coding goes then? I will not try it until I can get it running on a real Amiga with a Zipstik but it looks good on youtube if a slight jitter but that's emulator screen capture on the video I would imagine. Audio and pixel art as good as I could have hoped for though from what I saw, great job guys.

I used to play Nemesis and Salamander every day in the Summer of 1986 with my best mate and I did all the sprites for both in Neochrome but never had time to even read all of the hardware reference manual 1st edition let alone how to code it up. The key is how good is your blitter + 68000 shared coding to the standard it would need on my A1000, Konami might not have had a blitter on the motherboard but they sure did know how to code and their sprite hardware is almost as powerful as a blitter for this scenario so it is up there with Turrican 3 in difficulty to pull it off.

edit: PS I just download Beta v1.0 LHA from the zone but the Readme file states it is beta 0.2?