English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 May 2023, 14:02   #1
ZEUSDAZ

Amiga owners used to complain about no good fighting games

Amiga owners used to complain about no good fighting games back in the day,...until this beauty came along,...enough said here , more in the SGT review video

Thanks to youtuber W.Harrison for nominating this stunner into the vault of shitness.

SHIT GAME TIME GAME REVIEW: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 09 May 2023, 14:12   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I like the graphics though. Decent animations.

That's about all the positivity I can muster. This should have been a different genre of game.

Ugh. Its like Metal Masters. But without robots or upgrades to at least make it somewhat cool.
Old 09 May 2023, 15:12   #3
sokolovic

According to Lemon Amiga, the game was released in 1989... It doesn't seems that bad according the this era standards. Street Fighter 2 came 2 years after in arcade. Before that game, nobody was complaining about the lack of VS fighting on the Amiga since it was a nearly non existent genre.
Old 09 May 2023, 22:10   #4
Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
According to Lemon Amiga, the game was released in 1989... It doesn't seems that bad according the this era standards. Street Fighter 2 came 2 years after in arcade. Before that game, nobody was complaining about the lack of VS fighting on the Amiga since it was a nearly non existent genre.
We had IK+, which was as good as anything on any system - one disk and one button was more than enough for things like that. Street Fighter 2 pretty much pioneered the concept of lots of different fighters with their own special moves to find and their own home locations, all of which needed lots of disk space and lots of controller buttons (or very clever control systems), which didn't play to the Amiga's strength.

Never played this one, but I like the title, if nothing else.
Old 11 May 2023, 15:34   #5
ImmortalA1000

The animations were most likely drawn on paper as pencil outline sketches and they are good but then digitized and coloured in without much care and attention, at which point it is crap 100% in every way. It takes 5 minutes to finish too if you're any good and it took me longer than 5 minutes to finish most coverdisk game demos. An ST port job as well.

Basically CRL did a doo-doo in your mouth whilst grabbing your wages, nice
Old 11 May 2023, 15:47   #6
jotd
This cat is no more

A really enjoyable fighting game on the amiga is Mortal Kombat. I completed Body Blows Galactic (more balanced and easier than the first), and I never enjoyed the others, as beautiful as they are.

I have an amiga and access to a lot of cracked & original games since 1991 and I never heard of that ludicrus crap. Not a good sign.
Old 11 May 2023, 15:56   #7
Cris1997XX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
A really enjoyable fighting game on the amiga is Mortal Kombat. I completed Body Blows Galactic (more balanced and easier than the first), and I never enjoyed the others, as beautiful as they are.

I have an amiga and access to a lot of cracked & original games since 1991 and I never heard of that ludicrus crap. Not a good sign.
Mortal Kombat is good, Mortal Kombat 2 is even better! I might give Probe Software a lot of flack, but sometimes they've really done some amazing stuff. MK2's music in particular blows away the SNES version
Old 11 May 2023, 16:09   #8
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris1997XX View Post
Mortal Kombat is good, Mortal Kombat 2 is even better! I might give Probe Software a lot of flack, but sometimes they've really done some amazing stuff. MK2's music in particular blows away the SNES version
I though MK 1+2 were the only remotely decent games Probe Software did? lol but that puts them above Tiertex and a few other regulars that people wasted their earning on.
Old 11 May 2023, 16:18   #9
Cris1997XX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
I though MK 1+2 were the only remotely decent games Probe Software did? lol but that puts them above Tiertex and a few other regulars that people wasted their earning on.
They also made a few other ports, mostly stuff from the Mega Drive. Matt Furniss was the glue that held them all together lol
Old 11 May 2023, 16:45   #10
DisasterIncarna

sort of reminds me of the game Spartacus The Swordslayer on the C64 which came out a year before this, only this has a more cartoony style of gfx.
Old 11 May 2023, 20:49   #11
jotd
This cat is no more

I completed MK several times (including in the arcade, with 1 credit) but not MK2 on any platform. Too hard. For me MK is the best amiga fighting game, even if the graphics are average (but the A. Brimble music is better than the arcade )
Old 11 May 2023, 20:55   #12
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
Golden Axe is also nice.
Old 11 May 2023, 22:26   #13
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
sort of reminds me of the game Spartacus The Swordslayer on the C64 which came out a year before this, only this has a more cartoony style of gfx.
Lukozer said it reminded him of Ninja Hamster lol (also by CRL) and I can see his point as far as rubbish gameplay goes but at least you had energy bars on that game. The longplay is 4 minutes of actual gameplay.
Old 12 May 2023, 09:31   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
I completed MK several times (including in the arcade, with 1 credit) but not MK2 on any platform. Too hard.
It might be because MK2 cheats: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 May 2023, 10:37   #15
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Golden Axe is also nice.
Also nicer on the ears than certain other versions
Old 12 May 2023, 14:37   #16
jurassicman

Ludicrous is terrible... fortunately I didn't know it in the days, I just stumbled upon it a few years ago and I did play it for about 2 minutes before throwing the floppy disk into the bin.
I don't even consider it a fighting game...
In my opinion, the best fighting game ever released for Amiga is Shadow Fighter. I still enjoy it and considering that you can decently play it with a single button joystick they did a very good job.
Old 26 May 2023, 13:07   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The manual/comic is great though: https://hol.abime.net/2606/manual
Old 26 May 2023, 15:48   #18
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Fightin' Spirit, Capital Punishment are also good beat'em ups.
I've been waiting Primal Rage since I saw it in the news of all mags way back, but it was kinda disappointing. poor music quality, lack of colours but required an AGA(?) machine, bad playability and lot of diskswaps... sad thing as was great in the arcades. Elfmania is also an interesting one, albeit I feel the movements of the characters a bit strange. But definitely one of the best looking game for OCS/ECS.

Ah yes, and Full Contact is great fun in 2P mode
Old 26 May 2023, 19:21   #19
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
Fightin' Spirit, Capital Punishment are also good beat'em ups.
I've been waiting Primal Rage since I saw it in the news of all mags way back, but it was kinda disappointing. poor music quality, lack of colours but required an AGA(?) machine, bad playability and lot of diskswaps... sad thing as was great in the arcades. Elfmania is also an interesting one, albeit I feel the movements of the characters a bit strange. But definitely one of the best looking game for OCS/ECS.

Ah yes, and Full Contact is great fun in 2P mode
Primal Rage doesn't recquires an AGA machine. Just 2MB chip ram on any Amiga..

Best Amiga VS fighting are Fightin'Spirit and Shadow Fighter IMHO. At least they were made by people undestanding the logic of these games. But the first one is a bit "flat" with no parallaxes and the other surfer from one player only gameplay which is an absurdity considering that it was released on the CD32.
Shadow Fighter was probably one of few games that would make thé few people still playing with a one button stick to buy a CD32 pad for their Amiga.
But as always, developpers thought it was normal to stick with the lowest common configuration, albeit I'm pretty sure that by 1994, everyone had at least a 2 button pad.

Last edited by sokolovic; 26 May 2023 at 20:18.
Old 26 May 2023, 23:50   #20
Photon

Most fighting games are in play-experience the same as the one in OP, give or take.

It's a fairly established format... guy on the left, guy on the right, if slow it's Pokemon or a card game with no real hitboxes, if fast it's too fast so if you just find the cheese to spam you win.

A reactive martial arts game would be more interesting. It could be 25% slower than the ilk of 90s fighting games (with magical powers...) and in fact teach correct technique. The enemy could look generic, the only difference his skill in technique. You could be rewarded with weapons and learn them or else bring fists to a knife fight, and so on. That would be interesting to me, instead of learning magical combos.