English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 26 October 2006, 20:33   #1
Gary335

Problems transferring files from PC to Amiga

First let me say that I hop I've put this in the right board.

Now then, my problem is this: I format an amiga floppy at 720kb on the PC, the I take the contents of an .lha file, and put it on the floppy (in this case its Scorched.lha, for Scorched Tanks). I then put the floppy in the Amiga, and transfer the files from the floppy to my hard drive on the Amiga. When I go into the hard drive drawer, I have to select Show All because for some reason the Scorched Tanks drawer isn't visible. After this, I go into the drawer, click the executable (believe its called Scorched1.85), and the screen flashes and a dialog comes up that says "Your tool Scorched1.85 cannot be loaded". Anyone know what the problem is? Is there something else I have to do before trying to execute the game? Thanks for any help!

Old 26 October 2006, 20:53   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Change the tool type to iconx
Old 26 October 2006, 20:54   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Or try launching it from cli
Old 26 October 2006, 21:54   #4
pbareges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary335
First let me say that I hop I've put this in the right board.

Now then, my problem is this: I format an amiga floppy at 720kb on the PC, the I take the contents of an .lha file, and put it on the floppy (in this case its Scorched.lha, for Scorched Tanks). I then put the floppy in the Amiga, and transfer the files from the floppy to my hard drive on the Amiga. When I go into the hard drive drawer, I have to select Show All because for some reason the Scorched Tanks drawer isn't visible. After this, I go into the drawer, click the executable (believe its called Scorched1.85), and the screen flashes and a dialog comes up that says "Your tool Scorched1.85 cannot be loaded". Anyone know what the problem is? Is there something else I have to do before trying to execute the game? Thanks for any help!
you can't see the drawer cause no .info file is attached to it...it's not that important, but if you find it annoying you can copy the .info file of another drawer and rename it to the name of your drawer..it seems to me that you don't have any file manager other than workbench...this can be a pain in the... personally i would suggest filemaster2.0 from aminet - quick, easy to handle and very light.

the problem with your executable file maybe that protection bits were not saved in the archive so that the "executable flag" of your file is set to false..once again, within filemaster2.0 you can quickly change that with the protection command.
Old 27 October 2006, 01:51   #5
Gary335

Fixed this problem, but now I have another: I've been told that the best way of getting .adf files over to the Amiga (since many are too large for floppy disk) is to compress them using WinAce, and then use Unace to decompress them on the Amiga side. I tried to do this but when I tried to decompress, Unace gave this error: file compressed with unkown method. Deocmpression not possible." Is there a certain way you have to compress the file on the PC side that will allow Unace to recognize it? Thanks for any help!

Old 27 October 2006, 08:58   #6
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
winace is not the tool to use. use LHA or ZIP compression !
Old 25 January 2009, 19:44   #7
sanDae
Kevin s.

hello, when i am gonna send the unace to floppy,
shall i just transfer the whole .lha or unzip it?
Old 25 January 2009, 20:33   #8
sanDae
Kevin s.

i also got that wrong file type error;(
been working with my amiga in aboyt; 3 months now.
im tired of it
Old 26 January 2009, 18:03   #9
Amiga1992

You are not very specific, SanDAe, post more details to get help.