English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 20 May 2022, 14:24   #401
rabidgerry

Ok I didn't want to start a new thread on custom roms I feel like I succeeded making the rom ok. So I just want to see if anyone else has had experience making a regular rom with the ehide.device in it?

My custom rom has ehide.device at the bottom of the build list but after I've been through the entire process of creating the image, splitting the image, creating and A file and a B file, concatenating, then byte swapping I still end up at the insert floppy screen and it appears the my CFHD isn't recognised on the TF1260 IDE.

supaduper has successfully made some roms for me that worked with my classic WB3.1 system, but only 3.2 custom ehide roms seemed to work. So when I made my own custom 3.1 roms I expected them to work also but evidently not. Does anyone have any ideas where I might have gone wrong with this?

Can't thank supaduper enough btw for all his help!! Wouldn't be this far if it weren't for him.
Old 20 May 2022, 16:54   #402
rabidgerry

I actually had forgotten to put the ehide.device in the rom

But now that I have re-done everything it still doesn't work. I get funky errors after every reboot, different every time.
Old 20 May 2022, 21:45   #403
rabidgerry

Well turns out most of the problem was solved by me moving the EXECUTE line I had at the top of my startup-sequence which created an Assign list. One I moved that lower down a few places my system booted fine with ehide.device in rom.

A new problem exists now however where I can no longer use pictures for background in workbench no matter how many times I select the picture and save it, after a reboot the background will have reverted back to blank and my saved option will have disappeared altogether from my patterns and the only way to get it back is to go and select it again.
Old 20 May 2022, 22:16   #404
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Well turns out most of the problem was solved by me moving the EXECUTE line I had at the top of my startup-sequence which created an Assign list. One I moved that lower down a few places my system booted fine with ehide.device in rom.

A new problem exists now however where I can no longer use pictures for background in workbench no matter how many times I select the picture and save it, after a reboot the background will have reverted back to blank and my saved option will have disappeared altogether from my patterns and the only way to get it back is to go and select it again.
Glad you sorted it out, just to add I too have the same problem with not being able to save the background picture as I have the same image as you, I have not had much time to look at it but It is something to do with Scalos again as a guess, it`s clashing with something so still a software error
Old 21 May 2022, 00:18   #405
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
Glad you sorted it out, just to add I too have the same problem with not being able to save the background picture as I have the same image as you, I have not had much time to look at it but It is something to do with Scalos again as a guess, it`s clashing with something so still a software error
Why on earth would my Assign list matter where it was in my SS?

When using 3.2roms with ehide I have no such trouble. So weird.

You are right though it is something to so with scalos because scalos controls the pattern/background in the CWB3.1 builds and not the WB version of pattern. To me it looks as though the intuition needs to load again or something once WB can be seen. But then that doesn't explain why the actually saved entry in scalos "pattern" has disappeared.

Oh well it was definite progress for me so that's good. Fully capable of making a custom rom by myself now. Feels good
Old 21 May 2022, 14:55   #406
Jope
-

Quote:
How long are you waiting between the save and reboot? Are you using PFS3? I guess you know to wait for the atomic commit if you have PFS3?
Old 21 May 2022, 20:58   #407
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
How long are you waiting between the save and reboot? Are you using PFS3? I guess you know to wait for the atomic commit if you have PFS3?
Atomic commit? Oh I don't know anything about that. May be longest I have waited has been a minute or so?

I am always using PFS3-aio.
Old 21 May 2022, 21:02   #408
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Doesn't PFS3 have a keyboard interrupt handler that saves its caches just before reboot?
Old 22 May 2022, 11:34   #409
Jope
-

Quote:
Atomic commit? Oh I don't know anything about that. May be longest I have waited has been a minute or so?

I am always using PFS3-aio.
It will have happened if you had the computer on for a minute after saving. Takes a few seconds. The next time you have an idle machine and save something, look at the hard disk LED. It will blink for the save, then after a few sec it will blink again when it actually commits the save.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Doesn't PFS3 have a keyboard interrupt handler that saves its caches just before reboot?
I haven't found this to be reliable even on those Amigas that support reset handlers. It does have it, this is true.
Old 22 May 2022, 12:34   #410
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
It will have happened if you had the computer on for a minute after saving. Takes a few seconds. The next time you have an idle machine and save something, look at the hard disk LED. It will blink for the save, then after a few sec it will blink again when it actually commits the save.
Yes you are right, I have noticed this. This is the atomic commit then. Wondered what the pause when LED flash was.

So after waiting for that to happen, there is my background image. But then on reboot both soft and hard it will be gone again.

Last edited by rabidgerry; 22 May 2022 at 19:13.
Old 28 June 2022, 01:48   #411
rzookol

Does anybody know if TF1260 should work with MC68040RC33V?
Old 28 June 2022, 03:30   #412
lmimmfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzookol View Post
I'm not an expert on the TF1260, but the 040 has a different voltage vs the 960 so doubt it would work.
Old 28 June 2022, 08:58   #413
Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzookol View Post
NO! it will not. as the 040 needs 2 clocks while the 060 needs just one. so... nope!
Old 28 June 2022, 09:08   #414
rzookol

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
I'm not an expert on the TF1260, but the 040 has a different voltage vs the 960 so doubt it would work.

040V has 3.3Voltage, it was used in Casablanca where you can put 060 or 040V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
NO! it will not. as the 040 needs 2 clocks while the 060 needs just one. so... nope!

ok, thx for the info
Old 29 June 2022, 14:48   #415
rzookol

hmm, MC68040RC33V (as all 3.3V 040s) has only one clock pin: BLCK, but i assume that it still not compatible with tf1260, right?
Old 14 August 2022, 15:54   #416
chucsmom69

give it a try... just dont blame the creator of the TF when your amiga explodes burning your house down and killing your dog in the process.
Old 04 September 2022, 12:09   #417
eXeler0

@rzookol, did you try it? ;-)
Old 14 September 2022, 06:05   #418
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
Lets remember that Quake (on the PC) on anything before the Pentium (integrated FPU) had a low single digit FPS. People seem to forget this and with faulty memories seem to think the Amiga was alone with terrible framerates.
Let's remember that Quake was released in 1996 and Pentium 150/166 was available in a timely manner.

The choice between a new PC with Pentium @ 150/S3 Trio 64UV/Yamaha Sonata 16 vs Phase 5 Cyberstorm 060 @50Mhz / Cybervision 64 (S3 Trio 64V) for my Amiga 3000 resulted in the Phase 5 upgrade solution wasn't price and performance competitive.

Pentium 150 was overclocked to 166 Mhz with a simple 60 to 66 Mhz FSB jumper.

PS; I overclocked TF1260's 68060 rev 1 to 62.5 Mhz.
Old 14 September 2022, 22:09   #419
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Let's remember that Quake was released in 1996 and Pentium 150/166 was available in a timely manner.

The choice between a new PC with Pentium @ 150/S3 Trio 64UV/Yamaha Sonata 16 vs Phase 5 Cyberstorm 060 @50Mhz / Cybervision 64 (S3 Trio 64V) for my Amiga 3000 resulted in the Phase 5 upgrade solution wasn't price and performance competitive.

Pentium 150 was overclocked to 166 Mhz with a simple 60 to 66 Mhz FSB jumper.

PS; I overclocked TF1260's 68060 rev 1 to 62.5 Mhz.
Question, do you use any sort of cooling an an overclocked rev1 on the TF? I used to have a early edition blizzard and that got plenty hot. These days I have only rev 5 and 6s.
Also, something to remember about Quake comment above. Lots of PC owners with Cyrix CPUs struggled to run Quake (and probably AMD K5), so even PC users suffered ;-)
Old 15 September 2022, 00:14   #420
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
I played Quake on a Pentium 60 in 1996 and friends of mine played it on 486 in that year. None of us had any dedicated graphics cards. A year later on a Pentium 200 Quake II would be something else until that machine got a Voodoo 2 card and then Quake II would again be something else. I'm not doing a great job at selling how much tech advanced between 1994 and 1997, am I?