English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 31 March 2022, 16:37   #261
torturedutopian

Just out of curiosity, I get a slightly different result when using the same shaders combination (and I think the same shader settings) in RA. Looks a tiny bit better in RA. Any possible reason ? That's visible on the title of Project X ; looks slightly better / less blurry when using scalefx + crt-lottes in RetroArch.

Cheers
Old 20 April 2022, 11:11   #262
RuySan

Hi Guest. I came across this site (https://blog.johnnovak.net/2022/04/1...guests-shaders), which tries to explain how to make amiga emulation displays as authentic as possible, and mentions plenty of your work, including some shaders which aim to mimic the 1084S monitor.

I see these are made for WinUAE, and each time I use that emulator I get a huge headache (I just can't make integer scaling work, it always look wrong), are you planning to port these to either FS-UAE or Retroarch?
Old 23 April 2022, 21:23   #263
guest.r

A very inspiring blog article indeed. The tweaking sure required a lot of work and it's not trivial to do the same like in WinUAE with fs-uae or retroarch.

Alas each emulator or frontend is a different shading story, i would currently also advise to use retroarch with crt-guest-advanced or hsm bezel and maybe megatron if you have a bright display for a nice crt effect.

With fs-uae you best option is to try and tweak the guest-sm shaders.

You can download the newest crt-guest-advanced here:

https://mega.nz/file/QtgylYwB#BwdlfA...CUO3bcU8bz-yWY

You can rename the folder and copy it to your desired location.

Otherwise i'm quite busy irl, many issues need my attention and i need to relax a bit too.
Old 24 April 2022, 09:23   #264
RuySan

Maybe I should just learn to use winUAE properly . The last time I used it, I couldn't even find how to use shaders or force integer scaling. There's an option for it but it never worked as it should, as the image and scrolling were wrong and had lots of shimmering
Old 25 April 2022, 12:44   #265
RuySan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest.r View Post
A very inspiring blog article indeed. The tweaking sure required a lot of work and it's not trivial to do the same like in WinUAE with fs-uae or retroarch.

Alas each emulator or frontend is a different shading story, i would currently also advise to use retroarch with crt-guest-advanced or hsm bezel and maybe megatron if you have a bright display for a nice crt effect.

With fs-uae you best option is to try and tweak the guest-sm shaders.

You can download the newest crt-guest-advanced here:

https://mega.nz/file/QtgylYwB#BwdlfA...CUO3bcU8bz-yWY

You can rename the folder and copy it to your desired location.

Otherwise i'm quite busy irl, many issues need my attention and i need to relax a bit too.
I tried the HSM Bezel, and it's looking incredible. What was your inspiration for this Guest_Advanced shader?

It's been ages since I used the 1084S monitor, and I don't remember if it had any discernible scanlines. Last few times I used an Amiga I did with common TVs, and they had that hive-pattern which the easymode shader more closely resembles.
Old 28 April 2022, 17:37   #266
guest.r

My crt shading started on the EAB boards with very nice feedback of some members. Later @Dr. Venom joined and the first iteration of the advanced crt shader was created. Nice feedback and suggestions are very motivating and the crt-guest-advanced is in it's mature stage now.

With crt-guest-advanced you have plenty of mask options, you can also try some mask shifting for a 1084S look. Or slotmask + regular mask...

I didn't have the opportunity to use 1084S, but i guess it was a very popular and successful model.
Old 21 May 2022, 22:14   #267
nickylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuySan View Post
Hi Guest. I came across this site (https://blog.johnnovak.net/2022/04/1...guests-shaders), which tries to explain how to make amiga emulation displays as authentic as possible, and mentions plenty of your work, including some shaders which aim to mimic the 1084S monitor.

I see these are made for WinUAE, and each time I use that emulator I get a huge headache (I just can't make integer scaling work, it always look wrong), are you planning to port these to either FS-UAE or Retroarch?

I got as close as I could manage tweaking Guest's shader and incorporating the colour correction shader from the linked article into it, however there's some oddities.

I like to use a bezel that I've made based on TheNamec's utterly awesome RetroArch work but it seems (to me at least) that due to the way FS-UAE scales the screen to fit in the bezel viewport it winds up scaling the shader along with it and it doesn't look quite right.

If you look at the image attachment at 100%, you'll see that there's dark/light banding happening vertically down the image.

It's a bit of a pain because it's pretty damned close to the results from that article.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theamiga1200-real-2205212101-01.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	935.0 KB
ID:	75626  

Last edited by nickylee; 21 May 2022 at 22:16. Reason: Clarity
Old 22 May 2022, 11:41   #268
guest.r

Hey there,

the issue you are having can be mainly produced by two causes.

First is dpi scaling over 100%, which can be mended by setting it to 100%, second is the emulator does some image resizing after shaders are applied, unfortunately this is a bad scenario, maybe fixable with precise scaling resolution directives.

To fix the second scenario in general the emulator has to be aware of the exact resolution/positions and shade to the shrunk area directly.

This could be only achieved with the changes to the emulator.

A compromise is to not use masks or set mask strength to 0.0.
Old 22 May 2022, 12:37   #269
nickylee

Quote:
Hey there,

the issue you are having can be mainly produced by two causes.

First is dpi scaling over 100%, which can be mended by setting it to 100%, second is the emulator does some image resizing after shaders are applied, unfortunately this is a bad scenario, maybe fixable with precise scaling resolution directives.

To fix the second scenario in general the emulator has to be aware of the exact resolution/positions and shade to the shrunk area directly.

This could be only achieved with the changes to the emulator.

A compromise is to not use masks or set mask strength to 0.0.

Yeah I figured as much. I'm not doing any DPI scaling (I assume you mean in Windows itself), and as for mask strength... well the masks are kind of essential to the results described in the article.

Perhaps it's something that can be looked into when Frode gets to shader implementation in FS-UAE 4? Either way I'm pretty chuffed that I was able to get this close using shaders alone and FS-UAE remains my go-to emulator.

Last edited by nickylee; 22 May 2022 at 13:00. Reason: Incorrect subject
Old 12 February 2023, 03:33   #270
ztronzo

Hello @guest.r! Thanks for you great work!
Would it be ok to distribute your shaders with including them in my desktop app?
Old 13 February 2023, 19:12   #271
guest.r

Hey there!

Yes, i don't see a problem here. You could also post a link or something to the app if you want, since it's a bit related to the shaders, lol.
Old 07 May 2023, 20:04   #272
Rends

Hi,
I‘ve setup FS-UAE a few years ago and was happy with the results i had. Hav‘nt played Amiga games for a while but tried again.
For some unknown reasons the crt-easymode-halation shader doesn’t seems to wotk anymore
I get a failed to compile fragment shader and
Error occurred whule loading shader error message

Any reason why this happened?
Old 19 May 2023, 02:08   #273
ztronzo

Quote:
Hey there!

Yes, i don't see a problem here. You could also post a link or something to the app if you want, since it's a bit related to the shaders, lol.
I forgot about this as I wanted to finish testing first and then announce it..
the app's main web-page is amigalive.com

Shader can be easily selected from a shader list from the "More Options" window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-05-18_20-02-02.png
Views:	64
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	79051  
Old 22 May 2023, 21:34   #274
guest.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rends View Post
Hi,
I‘ve setup FS-UAE a few years ago and was happy with the results i had. Hav‘nt played Amiga games for a while but tried again.
For some unknown reasons the crt-easymode-halation shader doesn’t seems to wotk anymore
I get a failed to compile fragment shader and
Error occurred whule loading shader error message

Any reason why this happened?

It could be drivers, just checked this shader and it works. Anyway, just to be sure, you can grab the shaders from my github:

https://github.com/guestrr/FS-UAE-Shaders

I'm sure at least most of the shaders should work for you.

Quote:
I forgot about this as I wanted to finish testing first and then announce it..
the app's main web-page is amigalive.com

Shader can be easily selected from a shader list from the "More Options" window.

Hey, that's nice to hear. I'm a bit bussy with shaders for Retroarch for a while now, but i will sure give it a try.

That's a nice reminder to check a bit on the FS-UAE progress, see how it's going, especially shader support.
Old 18 July 2023, 16:07   #275
Lojza3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfDrLuigi View Post
Thats the only thing I tried before ... but FS-AUE crashes on OSX. Seems to work only in Windows.
Quote:
Sorry to hear the shaders don't work on OSX, hard to tell id it is a FS-UAE or OS/Driver issue i guess.
Disclaimer: I'm a complete noob, no experience with GLSL/shaders whatsoever.

I'm on M1 MacBook Pro, OSX Ventura. Some of the default shaders and most of the shaders published in this thread do not work for me as well. Based on what I've googled - the OpenGL support in MacOS is just lousy...

By trial-and-error, however, I managed to get some shaders working. Obviously, some parts of the code can be rewritten to be more compatible with GLSL 1.20 or whatever version the MacOS supports.

Attached there are these shaders that originally didn't work on MacOS:
- dreamscape
- xbr-super-smoother
- scalefx-aaf
- scalefx-scaler

All the edits start with comment "//Lojza3D" and the original code is left where it was, but commented out. However, I wasn't completely sure what I was doing. Some edits can possibly be done in another way or may be redundant...

Most of the compiler errors reported in fs-uae.log were related to incompatible types float and int or float and vecN (resolved by stating all int constants with decimal places, such as 1 => 1.0 or with their vector interpretation like vec3(2.0)). Some of the errors were related to array declaration using curly brackets { }, some errors had to be fixed with "polyfill", e.g. the unsupported textureOffset() method in scalefx-aaf.shader. I got the code from ChatGPT so it's syntactically correct, but may be broken in terms of correct calculations... However, the shader seems to be working fine now.

Feel free to test these shaders, review the code, make other shaders compatible or whatever.

And most importantly, happy gaming
Attached Files
File Type: zip shaders_macos_compatible.zip (34.0 KB, 24 views)