English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 04 November 2013, 23:31   #1
mihcael
Zone Friend

Image in Signature by URL or [img] tag

Is it possible to set your signature image to an external image via a URL?

I only seem to be able to use an image which has been uploaded within the usercp.

The issue is i want to be able to link to an Image which is dynamically updated, as a way of promoting the supercomp. Every competitor of the comp has a similar image and they are updated at the end of each round.

sample:
Old 04 November 2013, 23:42   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Ir would indeed appear to be possible

Quote:
Upload Signature Picture
You may upload a new custom image using the controls below.

Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website
by entering the URL of your picture in the box which appears below Option 1.

However, if that doesn't put an external link to the picture file in your signature so as to allow the dynamic updating you require, but uploads the picture as an attachment which is referenced instead by your signature, then it will not work.

Edit: Another way would be to insert an embedded link to the external file in your signature in the same way that you would insert it in one of your posts, i.e., by using HTML BB code. Have you tried that?

Last edited by prowler; 04 November 2013 at 23:50.
Old 05 November 2013, 00:01   #3
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
...but uploads the picture as an attachment which is referenced instead by your signature, then it will not work.
This is what it seems to do

Quote:
Edit: Another way would be to insert an embedded link to the external file in your signature in the same way that you would insert it in one of your posts, i.e., by using HTML BB code. Have you tried that?
Ive tried [img] tags, which are just shown as a url
Old 05 November 2013, 00:13   #4
prowler
Global Moderator

Hmm... Then it looks like it will only become possible if RCK is prepared to extend the signature panel to include a dynamic link.

What a dynamic link could do in your case certainly sounds like a good reason to implement it, but I guess there might be circumstances where it could be abused...
Old 05 November 2013, 00:28   #5
DH
Global Moderator

Not sure this can be done tbh.

Looked at the CiA forum and what Vb basically does, is import that image to the database for embedding into your sig, so basically it becomes static.

Maybe there's some kind of mod that can be used, but in all reality, I doubt RCK will apply the feature if there's not many people requiring it.

Last edited by DH; 05 November 2013 at 00:58.
Old 05 November 2013, 00:51   #6
mihcael
Zone Friend

There are only a couple people that i know of, i only noticed it wasnt working when i looked at Harry's signature when it didnt seem quite right.
Old 05 November 2013, 00:58   #7
DH
Global Moderator

Done some quick searching and this is how you can do it, if RCK allows the [img] tags to be used in sigs

For an image with a link
Quote:
[URL="http://superleague.mikendezign.com/players/mihcael_rank.png"][IMG]http://superleague.mikendezign.com/players/mihcael_rank.png[/IMG]
For just an image
Quote:
[IMG]http://superleague.mikendezign.com/players/mihcael_rank.png[/IMG]
Need

Last edited by DH; 05 November 2013 at 01:34.
Old 05 November 2013, 01:12   #8
mihcael
Zone Friend

Is it possible that was once working but removed during and upgrade or something? I was surprised to find that it didnt work.
Old 05 November 2013, 01:32   #9
DH
Global Moderator

I doubt it, during an upgrade most settings are ported to the new vBulleting system, so I would imagine RCK must have had them switched off beforehand.

I think I know why he has it switched off, the size limits of 320 x 20 pixels are ignored with a linked image using the [img] tags (bb code). And for this reason only, I can understand why he has it switched off, as people can abuse those limits and have sig images of large or enormous dimensions.

So tbh, I doubt he will favour switching them back on, but I'm sure he'll answer you in due course

EDIT: The [url] tags are switched on, so it's just the [img] tags, I should have relaised that, as I use those tags in my sig already.
Old 05 November 2013, 01:55   #10
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DH View Post
...I think I know why he has it switched off, the size limits of 320 x 20 pixels are ignored with a linked image using the [img] tags (bb code). And for this reason only, I can understand why he has it switched off, as people can abuse those limits and have sig images of large or enormous dimensions....
Thanks for the info. My images are 380 x 18 but i could make them smaller if required. Will wait and see if RCK might reconsider [img] tags.
Old 09 November 2013, 20:53   #11
RCK
Administrator

The [IMG] tag was disabled since EAB's launch, because it's the default vBulletin behavior
DH is right and there is no size limit in the [IMG] tag, so let's try to activate this option and we will see if member abuse of it.

note: member can have now 2 pictures max in their signatures.

Last edited by RCK; 09 November 2013 at 21:30.
Old 09 November 2013, 21:06   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
...so let's try to activate this option and we will see if member abuse of it.
Thanks, RCK!

Would EAB members please refrain from abusing this new privilege and depriving the rest of us of it. Errant signatures reported to the moderation team will not survive long.
Old 20 November 2013, 21:35   #13
mihcael
Zone Friend

You would think i would keep a better eye on this thread.

Thanks for changing this.
Old 11 August 2016, 22:57   #14
DH
Global Moderator

I know this is an old, and almost redundant thread, but i have discovered there IS a height limit to the images within the [img] tags depending on text size and quantity of lines used.

My sig image below is 529px wide and 86px high using one line of text with the font Verdana and size 1. If I use an image with a greater height, it just gets cut off at the bottom, and if I use a bigger font size the same thing happens. This could be down to a restriction of how many lines of text a signature can display, or how many characters allowed (including wrapping) which would define the quantity of lines.

Anyway, the only sensible way to provide an accurate height dimension would be to add your sig text then the link to an over sized image under it, wrapped within the [img] tags, saved and viewed within one of your posts (as the sig preview shows it all and doesn't cut the image), snapshot your screen, load into paint, photoshop or another program of your liking, and count the image pixels that are shown, resize the image to that height dimension and re-upload the image to your image host and replace the previous image url within the [img] tags with the new one.

I have no idea whether there's a width limit, but at a guess, the height limit should help stop over wide images, unless someone's hell bent on pushing their luck and spoiling it for everyone else.

Last edited by DH; 11 August 2016 at 23:13.