English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 15 August 2005, 02:01   #1
DanM

Unusable .HDF images copied via Amiga Explorer

Hi,

I'm using WinUAE 1.0.0.0 and Amiga Explorer from Cloanto. I wanted to image my original Amiga hard disks so I installed them in a PC (either MS-W2000 or MS-WXP) and mounted them under WinUAE. No problems so far. I have four partitions and copied each partition through Amiga Explorer to HDF files. I copied each one multiple times and ran MD5SUM (Cygwin) to verify the copies were identical.

So, after copying the data over, I've set up the same configuration under WinUAE as my A1200. Two of the HDF files are fine, but two of them mount as NDOS. I tried running DISKSALV against them and it sees all the files and thinks the partition is fine, but I still can't access my data. The largest and smallest partitions are working but the middle two aren't.

Any suggestions to getting these to work? Is there some kind of HDF analyzer?

Thanks a lot.

-Dan

Old 15 August 2005, 09:59   #2
thomas

If you open Amiga Computer, right-click on the HDF partition and choose properties, it should show the geometry data you have to enter into WinUAE's Add Hardfile window. Did you do this correctly ?
Old 31 October 2005, 13:35   #3
Giangi

Hi!

I'm new to WinUAE, I'm using v1.1 and I have a similar problem...
Both with hdf files created with AmigaExplorer and directly on my Amiga 4000 (and then copied to the pc via Samba or ftp).

I've tried many different settings but none were working, I've installed ADFopus and tried that too but no way... :-(

Actually if I create an empty hdf file directly from Winuae and then format from the emulated Amiga it works... :-(

Old 31 October 2005, 14:15   #4
thomas

Is this partition perhaps formatted with PFS3 or another third-party file system ? Then you have to copy that file system to the WinUAE directory and specify it in the HDD options. Or create an image of the entire HDD (including the RDB / partition table).
Old 31 October 2005, 15:45   #5
Giangi

Uhm...

one of them is on SFS for sure... but the others are not...

Since I'm not booting from there, isn't it enough to have them into L: ?
Ciao!

Old 02 November 2005, 11:48   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giangi
Since I'm not booting from there, isn't it enough to have them into L: ?
No. Booting has nothing to do with it.

Automounting (you can't boot without mounting partition(s) first..) is done long before AmigaDOS is initialized..
Old 02 November 2005, 12:13   #7
Giangi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
No. Booting has nothing to do with it.

Automounting (you can't boot without mounting partition(s) first..) is done long before AmigaDOS is initialized..
Well... I do not understand... but it's not a real problem

I can boot if the hardfile has been created by winuae and then booting with the OS3.9 cd with emergency floppy, format the hardfile and install it.

I think that the problem is either in "understanding" which parameters set into winuae for hdf files NOT created by winuae itself or the programs I used to create them is broken...

I've tried both with TSGUI and AmigaExplorer and not only these hdf images are "seen" by Amiga as "non dos disk" but ADFopus too is not able to open them with error like "root not found"...

I will create a big RDB hardfile, manage it with hdtoolbox and then restoring the files from a backup.

Actually I'm going to transfer the real hd I have into the A4000 but before doing it I yould like to see that everything is still working as into the real Amiga!

Only after this test I can safely shutdown (sigh) my real A4000 and use only the pc...

Thanks and ciao!!

Old 18 December 2005, 22:35   #8
DanM

Thanks thomas, it worked

Hi,

Thanks for you tip. I forgot where I posted this question but found it in an old e-mail. I didn't have the correct geometry so the default settings worked for some of the drives, but not others.

Thanks again,
-Dan