Global Moderator

Frontier Downloads

Frontier is downloadable on the Elite Club website:

http://www.eliteclub.co.uk/

There is also a link to this website, which has lots of versions to download:

http://westpdmkids.tripod.com/frontier/e_index.htm
Old 25 April 2002, 19:50   #2
RetroMan

This reminds me about a cool website : http://www.madlord.de which is a Frontier Tribute Site but unfortunately it´s in german only

But you can find the downloads without knowing german at all I guess
Old 26 April 2002, 17:55   #3
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

I remembered reading the previews about Frontier in The One magazine. After all the hype,critical acclaim,& the backlash against the bugs,was Frontier worthy of the hype it got?
Come to think of it,has David Braben done any other projects since?
Old 26 April 2002, 18:19   #4
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

IMO Frontier WAS worthy of all the hype it recieved.
Its one of my fave games of all time. The open ended structure and feeling of freedom has NEVER been equalled. A shame.
Agreed Braben does seem to be a bit of a '2 hit wonder' but quality over quantity I say.
Old 26 April 2002, 19:48   #5
blackcornflake

According to PC Gamer Online, Virus has been redone - imaginatively titled Virus 2000. Edit: Released in 1998.

And Frontier Developments (Braben's company) is working on Elite 4.

Here is where I read this info: http://www.sslmit.unibo.it/zat/files.../e_braben.html

Here is Frontier Developments' page: http://www.frontier.co.uk/

Last edited by blackcornflake; 26 April 2002 at 19:56.
Old 04 May 2002, 15:08   #6
PSYKO

You're right Dastardly! Never have the Amiga seen a game with such a vast area to play/explore, and it'll probably never be explored to the full capacity. I've spent countless hours flying acroos the universe to find outposts on teh other side of the galaxy, and maybe even do some trading with those strangely familiar people.

Old 06 May 2002, 22:11   #7
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
Frontier was a GREAT game I spent many many hours playing, there was so much content to this game and a massive playable area.

it always reminded me of the "Macrocosmica" of the old Amstrad CPC464
Old 06 May 2002, 22:52   #8
Bloodwych

Any of you guys completed Frontier: First Encounters?

The game was rushed into production and it shows, but the last patched version still makes for fantastic gameplay even though it's on the PeeC.

Did it ever get released for the Amiga? I remember a preview in a mag, but don't recall any final retail versions.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 06 May 2002 at 22:58.
Old 06 May 2002, 23:11   #9
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

What exactly was the difference between Frontier and First Encounters?
I downloaded FE for my PC (one of the few PC games ive played on it) and I thought it looked virtually the same, apart from some ugly and unnessesary textures on the 3D.
I also downloaded Frontier for my PC but apparently its not compatible with windows. To get it to work you have to free up some memory thingy!?! My PC was brand new and at the time quite good (Pentium 4 1.4GHz) and yet it wouldnt play a game that was almost 10 years old!!
Luckily though, I then discovered WinUAE and could happily play Frontier along with all my old faves.
Old 06 May 2002, 23:23   #10
Drake1009

First Encounters was the next game in the series after Frontier. Never played them much, but apart from textured graphics I think FE has a more closely packed plot or something like that.

As for not having the memory. What it needs is conventional memory, something your computer is only able to muster 640KB of in total at bootup time, this is where your os and dos drivers and such go. I still need to find replacement mouse and cd-rom drivers. I know my old mouse driver took 2 kb where my current one (logitech, newer version) takes 15. And the CD-rom drive can take up to 40 KB. Right now it's taking 5 in XMS mode and 32 in EMS mode. Dang developers making dos drivers and forgetting about the different modes.
Old 07 May 2002, 13:25   #11
Bloodwych

For all your answers to first encounters read here:

Jades First Encounters Page

The game is freeware and well worth playing. You'll have to setup dos however as it won't work from within windows.

Essentially, it's the same as frontier but with more ships and an ongoing plot (staring some famous elite aliens) in which you can partake at your own discretion. You've still got complete freedom and can miss out on any extras if you so wish.

As well as a background story, missions/fun events can be undertaken by reading the four intergalactic newspapers. The first one if I remember rightly is a race across star systems. If you win you'll get a cash prize and a mention in later newspaper additions! There are also plots where you steal items and get listed in the papers as a criminal!

These newspapers really add feeling to the game as you keep up to date with the galaxies latest news. By staying informed you'll end up picking up some invaluable items, including ships beyond you wildest dreams.

All in all this could have been one of the best games ever, but unfortunately it was rushed and incomplete. You can still finish the game, but the story isn't as dynamic as initially planned.

Hopefully Elite 4 will perfect the process. This really could end up an absolutely stunning title if done right.
Old 07 May 2002, 17:04   #12
th4t1guy

For your memory problems in windows, try using JJFFE. I've got it working perfectly with no problems. Here's a link to the page.

www.jaj22.demon.co.uk
Old 07 May 2002, 18:30   #13
Bloodwych

Frontier First Encounters is so good that I've uploaded the Windows version (thanks th4t1guy for the pointer) to the zone.

Just extract the folder and run "FFewin26.exe". The game runs in a window and can be made full screen using "Ctrl+F12".

I have no idea what the min specs are for this DirectX version, but it runs like silk on my Duron 950. The DOS version ran perfect on my old 486 100 so I think most of you will be fine.

For more details and hints on how to play the game, visit the website I've linked above!

Enjoy!!!!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 09 May 2002 at 11:49.
Old 08 May 2002, 14:56   #14
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Eek

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
Frontier First Encounters is so good that I've uploaded the Windows version (thankst h4t1guy for the pointer) to the zone.

Just extract the folder and run "FFewin26.exe". The game runs in a window and can be made full screen using "Ctrl+F12".

I have no idea what the min specs are for this DirectX version, but it runs like silk on my Duron 950. The DOS version ran perfect on my old 486 100 so I think most of you will be fine.

For more details and hints on how to play the game, visit the website I've linked above!

Enjoy!!!!
Oh WOW!!
It's cool it works on Windows XP with sound and everything. It's great. Thanks a lot Bloodwych. Is it the full version by the way? It looks pretty complete to me! Can you alter the full screen resolution by any chance?
Old 08 May 2002, 15:21   #15
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Big grin I worked it out.

All I did was change these lines in the file ffewin.cfg:

triplebuf=0
fswidth=1024
fsheight=768
fsbpp=32

noresize=0
winwidth=800
winheight=600
intermediatebuf=1

That gives super smooth (no pixels) 1024x768 FULLSCREEN resolution graphics and 32 bit colour. It's absolutely awesome now!!

Changing noresize from 1 to 0 allows you to resize the window.

Have fun!!
Old 08 May 2002, 15:23   #16
Bloodwych

Yes it's the full game, although like I said above it was rushed into production and it shows.

Still one hell of a game however. Get reading those newspapers and enjoy! If you get stuck read jades website linked above.

The resolution is fixed I'm afraid. The game was released before 640x480 became the norm. EDIT, SEE BELOW!

PS - start a new game. I've included some hacked save files with ridiculously powerful ships. Don't use them - they'll spoil the action!

I started from the default position and finished it without cheating back in 1997. It's one great experience!

EDIT: thanks for the resolution tip steve. Never new their was a .cfg file! Only ever played the dos version, just quickly tested this directx hack!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 08 May 2002 at 15:41.
Old 08 May 2002, 17:58   #17
Drake1009

A somewhat frontier like game for beginning gamers or gamers with not so much patience would be Sub Culture. Sailing around in a sub taking on missions, buying stuff from one place and selling it more expensive somewhere else. Buying upgrades to pick up coins or bottlecaps from the sea bed.
Old 08 May 2002, 18:03   #18
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych
Yes it's the full game, although like I said above it was rushed into production and it shows.
I only played it for five minutes but it seemed fine to me. What exactly is wrong with the game? Are there more bugs in it than there were in Frontier? That would be some achievement. :laugh

Quote:
EDIT: thanks for the resolution tip steve. Never new their was a .cfg file! Only ever played the dos version, just quickly tested this directx hack! [/B]
No problem. Is the DirectX hack a fully working version or is there some known problems with it? What version is FFE. Was the latest version 1.06 or something?
Old 09 May 2002, 05:48   #19
RocketMack

Thanks, Bloodwych, for the game and the site!

I'm a real fan of Elite 1 & 2 and this continuation looks great! The mood music is fantastic! I can see it's going to keep me up for several nights...

@Drake1009
StarGlider 2 is another less complicated adventure of this type with a neat little galaxy to explore and plunder. It's one of my all time favorites. (Remember the Space Whale?)

Old 09 May 2002, 08:09   #20
th4t1guy

For the directX hack, you don't need the game patched, since the hack replaces the main exe. The only problem I've had with the hack is with the movie files, although I could never really get this part working in that well in the DOS version either. However, it did work better with this part in DOS for me.

I know that David Braben wants to release the source for this game, so hopefully if that time comes, we will see an opengl version!