English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 18 January 2005, 04:37   #41
Amiga1992

I don't see anything as bloat, but as organized. Bloat is useless shit that you have around (like Windows), this board has only organized its content in more spcific sections. I like good order.

Off Topic uses to be bloat, for exampl.

And the load of rubbish common game requests are bloat too.
Old 18 January 2005, 05:33   #42
Jim

Jim's LameStats v0.01

I've missed far too much stuff out, and got bored after 5 minutes research.....

No offence to the people involved in these messages. I'm just highlighting how much of a regular annoying occurence things like this have become. It is obvious that there cannot be this many stupid/confused people on the boards so it is obvious things need to be done at a higher level to avoid most of these problems.

People who didn't read the part about The Zone in the FAQ over the past few weeks. I understand that The Zone is simpler now, largely due to people complaining due to the constant stream of posts like those below:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=177953&postcount=8
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=177392&postcount=11
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=176674&postcount=3
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=176223&postcount=1
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=176109&postcount=9
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=175208&postcount=39
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=174771&postcount=1
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=170840&postcount=12

WTF is so old/rare about these games that led people to fulfil the request - rather than lock/delete the post and link the member to a site?

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=14826

Example to of a great request answer handled well by a member - but now the thread has no purpose and should be deleted.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=16232

Moderators asleep at the wheel:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=15883 (this thread should have been moved - keep important sections that need excellant moderation excellantly moderated. Set example)

A few lameass postings to be deleted:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=16683
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=16580
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=16479
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=16817
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=16838

Old 18 January 2005, 09:18   #43
RCK
Administrator

(I will read all this thread and sort what is good or not later, when this brainstorming session will be ended)
Old 18 January 2005, 10:40   #44
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
@Akira & CodyJarret.

That's it. You 2 mods show us lesser members how to get along

Now on another note:

I'm getting just as sick of all of Bippy's hold the newbies cock while he takes a piss answers as I am with the newbies who don't read the FAQs themselves. Don't people realise the more you make things too easy for a newbie the more likely they are to ignore rules, common sense and not think for themselves? Thus more likely to post something lame.

Dastardly is only in here having a dig at me because he hasn't got Parallax Scroll to fight with.

I suggest Bippy, Peanut, Datardly, Cody and whoever else has their own eab.kindergarden section where they moderate and look after all the newbie babes. They can go off to other threads making requests on behalf of them etc... etc...
and treating them like shit is the way to do it..

It doesn't hurt to BE FUCKING POLITE you know, if you don't like the way a newbie or anyone else posts ig-FUCKING-nore IT, close the thread just don't reply if what you have to say doesn't help!!!!!

yes I am swearing, yes you have pissed me off..
Old 18 January 2005, 11:22   #45
Peanutuk

Right this is turning into the bricks over the fence slanging match that I didn't want to see and it is the fault of Akria and Jim - please be more sensitive to people's opinions or don't post, it isn't helping. This thread started out as a forward looking and sensitive concern about how the EAB can be improved and is beginning to turn into that which characterises your debates on this forum.

@Akira and Jim - you've made you voices heard now stop talking.
@Everyone else - You've made your points about this isssue to so let's move on.

On the issue of new users I suggest that users should only post if they have a possible solution to the problem that they would like to suggest; I think it is now clear that some users think there is a problem and some don't. Let's suggest some possible solutions and let the owner of the board (that is RCK by the way) decide what he would like to do, based upon the community's feelings.

On the other topics mentioned:

What forums aren't necessery? How would you go about changing them?

How is the forum bloated, what would you do to change it?

What other issues are there?

Please try and be specific and offer a specific solution if you can think of one. Remember you don't need to come up with a list of examples to make your point 'more convincing' (this isn't a courtroom) this is about how you feel not what you can proove.
Old 18 January 2005, 12:13   #46
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim

Dastardly is only in here having a dig at me because he hasn't got Parallax Scroll to fight with.
When did I have a dig at you? Am I not allowed to post my opinions now because they differ from yours?

Old 18 January 2005, 12:37   #47
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutUK
please be more sensitive to people's opinions or don't post, it isn't helping
PeanutUK - may I point you here seeing as all of a sudden you've started talking about being sensitive?

Just to quote what you said there before you edit it:

Quote:
Maybe a point in the FAQ that the EAB uses normal English and not 5pa5t1c language
Whilst I think it's fine to call people Stupid as stupid is a generic term it's not really fair to insult people who are mentally handicapped (Spastics) and this is very insensitive both to Spastics and the people around them

Quote:
@Akira and Jim - you've made you voices heard now stop talking.
@Everyone else - You've made your points about this isssue to so let's move on.
You normally manage this by locking every thread left, right and center. Suprised you haven't done this

Old 18 January 2005, 12:41   #48
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
It doesn't hurt to BE FUCKING POLITE you know
Fucking Polite!! hehe Did anyone else spot the conflict in that statement?

Quote:
if you don't like the way a newbie or anyone else posts ig-FUCKING-nore IT,
ig-FUCKING-nore my post if you don't like it

Quote:
close the thread just don't reply if what you have to say doesn't help!!!!!
We don't all have the superior powers to close threads, or in your power vacuum did you forget this?

Quote:
yes I am swearing, yes you have pissed me off..
Ooops

Old 18 January 2005, 12:49   #49
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly
When did I have a dig at you? Am I not allowed to post my opinions now because they differ from yours?
I'm back on your side now Dastardly. Yes you can of course post opinions that are different to mine. But don't try posting ones that are different to Peanut or Bippy.

Old 18 January 2005, 12:52   #50
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Not much chance of me posting opinions that differ to Peanut or Bippy as I 100% agree with them.

YOU on the other hand are just pathetic and your role play thread proves it.

There you go, I attacked you.
Old 18 January 2005, 12:58   #51
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I think we can leave this kind of stuff at the door, don't drag old stuff up. It's childish. (although I can't see anywhere in this thread Dastardly 'having a go' at you, but hey read it how you will) EDIT: Ok now I can

Anyway... my 2 kilos on the subject...

The way I see it is... why can some people not leave the n00b threads WELL ALONE. Some people on here seem to have no tolerance towards n00bs so stay the hell away. It's clear that you're going to type exactly the same, over the top, arsey response that I've grown to detest, so simply DON'T REPLY.

There are many people on here that are willing to reply in constructive ways, without thinking that even the act of them replying is waste of time. Some people want to help because it brings more people in to the community and it's just a FRIENDLY thing to do. I personally don't mind offering help to n00bs if I know the answer or can help in someway and I don't find it a complete waste of my time like some people would.

If they don't come back after the initial help then that is up to them, I've been to forums before to sort out specific things and never return because the subject matter on the forum isn't of that much interest to me. The posts will be deleted in time and life goes on. If they are offered good advice and are interested in the amiga community then I'm sure they'll stick around.

And PLEASE stop posting crap about how much you don't like LEMON or how lame it is or whatever, it's not constructive and it just seems to fuel this whole LEMON vs EAB thing which I just don't want. Grow up and just accept the fact lemon exists.

In fact... I see a recurring problem here...

Some people are not able to accept that certain things happen without "poking their oar in". Learn some self-restraint (and some maturity) and just stay away, it's much better without your 'contributions'.

That's more or less what I came to say...

I kinda like the auto-game-linking idea although you will end up with words that link to games whose names are common words (such as "Elite", "Abuse" and "Barney Bear Goes To School")
Old 18 January 2005, 13:00   #52
Jim

Quote:
Not much chance of me posting opinions that differ to Peanut or Bippy as I 100% agree with them.

YOU on the other hand are just pathetic and your role play thread proves it.

There you go, I attacked you.
YOUR IDEAS ARE PATHETIC, YOUR WHINGING IS ANNOYING AND YOU SEEM TO PICK UP ANY PERSONAL GRUDGE FOR NO APPARENT REASON. NOBODY LIKES YOUR LAMEASS IDEAS - EVEN PEOPLE ON OTHER BOARDS DON'T LIKE THEM. YOU THEN GET UPSET BECAUSE NOONE LISTENS.

Keep the flaming to PM or a new off-topic thread now Bastardly as it's only a few weeks since your ban for a such a issue thing is it not?

Old 18 January 2005, 13:02   #53
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
I kinda like the auto-game-linking idea although you will end up with words that link to games whose names are common words (such as "Elite", "Abuse" and "Barney Bear Goes To School")
Oh no ! People will think their browser's been hijacked by Spyware

Old 18 January 2005, 13:02   #54
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Strange how people dont like being attacked isnt it?
Old 18 January 2005, 13:07   #55
Jim

Quote:
Strange how people dont like being attacked isnt it?
Strange how some people only poke their noses into threads because they are looking for some sort of relevance on the board when in fact what they have to say is largely irrelevant. I shouldn't feed your attention disorder. Me bad.

Old 18 January 2005, 13:11   #56
Peanutuk

Most of these posts are people asking, quite politely, for access to The Zone. They obviously haven't read the FAQ. An email or a forced link to the FAQ as mentioned above would provide an easy solution to this terminal problem. However I am sure that even this won't solve this problem 100%. From my experience people will always overlook something that is written in front of them no matter how obvious it is to the writer, their oversight is no excuse for abuse, which the previous suggestion of forcing user's to tick a box before providing with a post seems to be.
Old 18 January 2005, 13:13   #57
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Shoonay tells a jokety-jokaty joke...

Geez, guys... can't you take it easy and cool down a little?
How about telling a joke?
What? You like that idea, but i should tell one first?
OK Here goes... ...

"What does have 'black holes' and 'teeth' in common"?
... Upsss... /me blew it ...

PS: This is a memento to all the guys & gals irc-in on last sunday
Old 18 January 2005, 13:16   #58
Peanutuk

I appreciate the joke Shoney, but let's try and stay on-topic.
Old 18 January 2005, 13:21   #59
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Strange how some people only poke their noses into threads because they are looking for some sort of relevance on the board when in fact what they have to say is largely irrelevant. I shouldn't feed your attention disorder. Me bad.
You are the only person with an attention disorder, posting irrelevant crap in threads started by an unregistered user (lame or not).

Why not be constructive and point them in the right direction?

Whats the point in flaming every other new member?

Have YOU ever actually read the FAQs (Be honest)?
Old 18 January 2005, 13:47   #60
Jim

Quote:
You are the only person with an attention disorder, posting irrelevant crap in threads started by an unregistered user (lame or not).
If my "crap" was so irrelevant why has it spawned a few threads, comments and a action packed debate such as this one?

Quote:
Why not be constructive and point them in the right direction?
No point in pointing a blind person anywhere.

Quote:
Whats the point in flaming every other new member?
Errrr. read up on many many past postings of mine before making this inaccurate statement.

Quote:
Have YOU ever actually read the FAQs (Be honest)?
Yes I have. Whilst they're certainly not brilliant they are easy to follow than a lot of FAQ's. But don't criticise a FAQ when the real cause of a lot of these issues is (bad) moderation. Unless of course it's in your own interests to do so....oh wait.... it is.