English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 11 April 2020, 04:38   #1
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

lowlevel.library and WinUAE

I feel real dumb about this since I've been running Amiga under emulation for over a year (including a nicely customized OS 4.1 FE setup) but one thing that I've never been able to do is use my Xbox controller with Amiga games that rely on lowlevel.library for joystick and gamepad input. (I'm looking at you, L'Abbaye des Morts.) As far as I can tell AmigaInput needs to be configured to provide controllers via a driver for lowlevel.library but as far as I know there's no UAE input driver -- at least I've never been able to find one -- and so I'm stuck with just keyboard and mouse for playing games under emulation.

Has anyone already figured this out for me? What am I doing wrong (besides running WinUAE through Amiga Forever instead of directly)?
Old 11 April 2020, 09:40   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

You probably mean that despite lowlevel.library and games using it is able to read CD32 buttons, the extra buttons don't work.

You can configure your joypad as "CD32 pad" in winuae "game ports" section.

Port 2: <select your usb gamepad>
no autofire default => CD32 pad

There is no software driver to add. But if the game doesn't support extra buttons, installing lowlevel.library won't change it. But whdload installs with joypad support will.
Old 11 April 2020, 19:35   #3
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

That was the first thing I did, of course. F12'd into WinUAE config, set up the controller that way, and then started up the game. Unfortunately, nothing happened, the controller just wouldn't get used. I tested this as well with JoyPortTest from Aminet -- while it definitely picked up the mouse and its three buttons all fine, nothing ever happened no matter what for the controller. It looks like lowlevel.library ports 1-3 are all unavailable/empty.

Here's the AmigaInput prefs:

Four PCI drivers available out of the box, but none of them with working units of course since WinUAE only does the basic game ports.

None of the other lowlevel.library ports are set up because there's no other drivers available that can be used, just Generic_Mouse.

I really think it's because of this that I can't use the controller, even though it's configured on the host side.
Old 30 April 2020, 00:24   #4
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Looks like the problem comes down to Amiga Forever as the culprit. I tried some more games which require the joypad outside of OS4 and when run directly from WinUAE there was no problem, but when run via AF wouldn't accept pad input.