Old 24 July 2022, 04:22   #21
BowToYourSensei

With the 3.0 roms, the workbench library is 39.48
Old 24 July 2022, 04:32   #22
BowToYourSensei

With the 3.1 roms, workbench.library is version 45.194
Old 24 July 2022, 04:34   #23
BowToYourSensei

I've booted with a workbench 3.1 adf from amiga forever before, and it is still a blank workbench booting from floppy. Idk if that helps?
Old 24 July 2022, 17:41   #24
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowToYourSensei View Post
I've booted with a workbench 3.1 adf from amiga forever before, and it is still a blank workbench booting from floppy. Idk if that helps?
Okay so does this happen with both accelerators? Have you just booted without an accelerator with the floppy and 3.1 ROMs?

Does this also occur with the 3.0 ROMs?

To me it looks like maybe a corrupted workbench.library file in the ROM. If this happens without an accelerator with the 3.1 ROMs.
Old 24 July 2022, 21:24   #25
BowToYourSensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
Okay so does this happen with both accelerators? Have you just booted without an accelerator with the floppy and 3.1 ROMs?

Does this also occur with the 3.0 ROMs?

To me it looks like maybe a corrupted workbench.library file in the ROM. If this happens without an accelerator with the 3.1 ROMs.
Ok, yes it happens with both accelerators. I will test with no accelerator and a floppy.

With the 3.0 roms, it boots correctly, even with the scsi line in the startup sequence.

You did make me wonder, if my 3.0 roms are essentially functioning like 3.1 roms in order to use workbench 3.1, then maybe I can use the 3.0 roms with the tf1230?

Last edited by BowToYourSensei; 24 July 2022 at 21:32.
Old 24 July 2022, 22:04   #26
BowToYourSensei

3.1 roms, no accelerator, and booting from floppy still results in a blank workbench screen.
Old 24 July 2022, 22:17   #27
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
3.1 roms, no accelerator, and booting from floppy still results in a blank workbench screen.
You’ve got faulty 3.1 ROMs. Have you contacted the seller to see if he/she will give you replacements?

Does this work with the Install disk as well?

The 3.0 ROMs if they have MX logo branding on them will be original ROMs that came with the A1200.

I also don’t think the workbench.library version is correct for 3.1 that you gave me;

Workbench.library version 45.194 is for workbench AmigaOS 3.1.4

I’ve just booted up a 3.1 workbench in 3.1 ROMs and the workbench.library version is 40.5

Last edited by Leon Besson; 24 July 2022 at 22:32.
Old 24 July 2022, 23:53   #28
BowToYourSensei

Yes it is still blank with an install floppy and no accelerator. I'll contact the seller and see what he has to say.
Old 25 July 2022, 00:58   #29
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Yes it is still blank with an install floppy and no accelerator. I'll contact the seller and see what he has to say.
Are you sure it’s 3.1 and not 3.1.4 ROMs? If the latter you won’t be able to use your current boot setup and disks as you need 3.1.4 AmigaOS.
Old 25 July 2022, 01:16   #30
BowToYourSensei

Yes, my receipt says 3.1, the roms say 3.1, and checking the version from the command line (40.68) would indicate 3.1. I'm not sure how these roms are made, but if it's possible, I would say somebody accidentally put the workbench.library for 3.1.4 on by mistake.
Old 25 July 2022, 02:14   #31
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Yes, my receipt says 3.1, the roms say 3.1, and checking the version from the command line (40.68) would indicate 3.1. I'm not sure how these roms are made, but if it's possible, I would say somebody accidentally put the workbench.library for 3.1.4 on by mistake.
Looks that way. Good Luck
Old 25 July 2022, 15:55   #32
BowToYourSensei

Ok he got back to me, and says I need to have the workbench.library installed on the compact flash card in the LIBS directory. I'm going to try this tonight.
Old 25 July 2022, 16:14   #33
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Besson View Post
The click to front program stems from 1987!

http://aminet.net/package/util/mouse/ClickToFront

So may not be 3.1 ROM compatible??
ClickToFront has been a standard commodity supplied with every version of Workbench from 2.0 to this day. I doubt very much that whoever built this package will have used such an old version when there's a known good one installed with whatever version of Workbench is used.

Quote:
Do you have your hard drive attached when doing these tests? Even booting without startup-sequence can give you unexpected results due to resident libraries on a warm boot, for example.

Quote:
Ok he got back to me, and says I need to have the workbench.library installed on the compact flash card in the LIBS directory. I'm going to try this tonight.
There's something funky going on here, for two reasons. First, workbench.library is in ROM for all standard Kickstart 3.1 builds except the one specifically for the A4000T. Second, the Version command gave you a result, meaning workbench.library exists somewhere. Either this is a funky 3.1 build (for reference, the version number of Kickstart doesn't necessarily mean it's an original Kickstart configuration), or the early startup screen you're accessing is after a reboot and replacement libraries have already been loaded.
Old 25 July 2022, 16:58   #34
BowToYourSensei

Well they are amiga forever roms, and he gave me a link to get the workbench.library from them. It's a free download, and in the comments it says "workbench.library 40.5, needed on disk if not included in 3.1 ROM".
Old 25 July 2022, 19:12   #35
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Yeah right! Bromigo! Dodgy 3.1 ROM more like it. The seller has made a bespoke version. No wonder it doesn’t work

The Amiga forever is part if Cloanto license. Workbench version supplied is a Hyperion licensed product from 3.1.4.

Illegal seller! Name and Shame Mang!
Old 25 July 2022, 19:22   #36
Leon Besson
Banned

Quote:
Well they are amiga forever roms, and he gave me a link to get the workbench.library from them. It's a free download, and in the comments it says "workbench.library 40.5, needed on disk if not included in 3.1 ROM".
This sounds like a 3.x ROM that you could buy legally with a Cloanto license. This seller has taken it upon themselves to create some sort of Hybrid ROM. Unfortunately Hyperion own 3.1.4 NOT Cloanto, so this shouldn’t have been sold in this fashion.
I don’t think you can just get a2ay with putting a copy of 40.5 workbench.library in Libs if there is already a different version in ROM. You may need to add Loadmodule sys:Libs/workbench.library in startup sequence.

If you are not happy with the ROMs bought and you got them off EBay, you are I. Your rights to raise a 30 days money back guarantee with the seller. Then buy some legit 3.1 ROMs from the links I gave you above
Old 25 July 2022, 19:29   #37
BowToYourSensei

It says right on the Amiga forever website that some 3.1 roms may not have the workbench.library on it. I'm not gonna name the seller because amiga forever has this listed next to the download in their support section. So I don't know if this is an Amiga forever issue, or the seller. I've been incredibly happy with the seller. And I'd hate to give the wrong impression if this is on Amiga forever and not the seller.
Old 25 July 2022, 19:37   #38
BowToYourSensei

Something of note, these roms came with the tf1230. The tf1230 has an on board ide connector that requires ehide.device to be built into the rom to function. That may explain why there is some modification to the rom?
Old 25 July 2022, 20:19   #39
Daedalus

Yes, some 3.1 ROMs don't contain the library, but as I posted above, they're specifically for the A4000T version. All other versions of 3.1 should have workbench.library included, and that includes 40.68, which is the A1200 version you have. So it's either been modified, or there's something about your setup that's skewing results. As I said before, it's possible things are being confused by checking the version numbers after a warm reboot (bearing in mind that the first reboot is part of the boot process for many Workbench versions and can happen very quickly). So verify it again, either by disconnecting your hard drive and booting from a 3.1 Workbench floppy, or by making sure you boot with no startup-sequence from a *cold* boot.
Old 25 July 2022, 21:02   #40
BowToYourSensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yes, some 3.1 ROMs don't contain the library, but as I posted above, they're specifically for the A4000T version. All other versions of 3.1 should have workbench.library included, and that includes 40.68, which is the A1200 version you have. So it's either been modified, or there's something about your setup that's skewing results. As I said before, it's possible things are being confused by checking the version numbers after a warm reboot (bearing in mind that the first reboot is part of the boot process for many Workbench versions and can happen very quickly). So verify it again, either by disconnecting your hard drive and booting from a 3.1 Workbench floppy, or by making sure you boot with no startup-sequence from a *cold* boot.
I'll try this. You may be correct. But I also just watched a YouTube video explaining how you add ehide.device to a 3.1 rom. What my actual problem may be, is I've been using my hard drive/cf card in the usual spot. I never tried putting it on the accelerator card ide connector. Part of the process in the video, is the guy moved his workbench.library to the extended rom chip to make room for the ehide.device on the standard rom. I thought I ordered it without the ehide.device, but maybe I didn't? And my whole problem has been my roms are looking for the hard drive on the accelerator card?!