English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 March 2021, 10:27   #1
emuola
Registered Whdload user

*SOLVED* card stopped booting with A600, Winuae works.

Yesterday my beloved SD card, which has PFS3AIO, ClassicWB Lite etc. did not want to boot anymore with my (unchanged A600). There's no error, it just shows the "insert floppy screen". There is this additional sound when the floppy drive does it's "start up sound", it kinda get's interrupted compared to normal working boot from the HDD. Is there a "IDE wait time" similar to PC:s, that could have been changed to too short? Don't know if that really means anything, but that's how it does. The HDD/IDE is recognised, because I'm thrown to the "insert floppy screen" in a few seconds.

The card has been working for months and it still works just fine in my trusty old SD card reader on my Win10 machine with the latest Winuae. No problems whatsoever.

What I did before the disaster struck, was something I've done hundreds of times before without any problems: take the SD card out (I have a "spring loaded" microSD card slot in the back of the A600 for convenience), insert the SD card into the SD card reader on my Win10 PC and start Winuae with the SD card as a hard drive. Then I updated the latest Whdload etc. and added some latest games. No changes to HDD settings was made (at least not intentionally).

I then decided to try out to restore an image (taken with Win32diskimager) from the same SD card ~a year ago. Guess what, A600 boots up just fine.
I then though that it was just something strange and decided to start Winuae with the same SD card and made some changes to startup sequence etc.

After this the card does not boot anymore with the A600, but works just fine with Winuae. If I again restore the image to the same card, A600 boots happily.

Is this something with Win10/Winuae or what? I've never had any problems with any of my SD/CF cards between WinUAE and real hw or the last 10 years or so, but now I'm kinda stuck here.

If someone wants to try/inspect the SD card images, I can send a link.

*EDIT*

I just noticed that the SD card does not "get broken" in Winuae *only* if the HDD is a uaehf.device.

1. I restore the working SD card image to the SD card -> A600 boots and Winuae (with HDD as uaehf.device) boots.
2. I change the HDD in Winuae as Commodore A600/A1200/A4000 IDE -> Winuae works.
3. I copy files between the a HDF file and the SD card in Winuae -> Winuae does not boot anymore if the HDD is set as Commodore A600/A1200/A4000 IDE, but works if the HDD is set as uaehf.device.

What does this mean?

Any help highly appreciated

Specs:

A600, recapped by Amigakit in 2018.
KS3.1
Ray Carlsen PSU
Furia (latest fw)
2MB chip

Last edited by emuola; 07 March 2021 at 19:48.
Old 08 March 2021, 07:26   #2
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Solved. It was indeed Windows 10 doing its magic... The problem was the combination of not running the Winuae as Administrator and/or not cleaning the sd card with diskpart before partitioning it.

I'm not really sure how/why the SD card stopped working, but I guess not running the Winuae as Administrator and writing to the PFS3 partition somehow screwed it up? Not really sure.