English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 02 February 2018, 21:44   #1
ZEUSDAZ

BRUCE LEE - 5m52s NEW SPEEDRUN WR! (ZX SPECTRUM)

Hi, I just wanted to share this as I'm really over the moon with it.
I set a couple of very fast speedruns of Bruce Lee on the ZX Spectrum during my last 2 livestream videos, I first broke the 7m barrier by a second, then last week I hit a finishing time of 6m04s but today I really fancied a couple more goes and to my shock not only did I shave 12 seconds off my previous time but I couldn't believe I broke the 6 minute barrier which I didn't think was possible with a run time of 5m52s.
Please feel free to view and comment, It's awaiting approval on the Speedrun.com World Record site

[ Show youtube player ]

Thanks for checking this out Zeus.
Old 02 February 2018, 22:55   #2
d4rk3lf

Great job Zeus.
I think you can beat this record also, because I think I saw few parts where you lost little bit of time. And not referring to those lost 2 lifes, not sure about that part... you actually might gained some extra time on that.

As a kid, I've never beat it on my C64. Althou, I see now that I came pretty close to end,
Old 03 February 2018, 02:33   #3
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Great job Zeus.
I think you can beat this record also, because I think I saw few parts where you lost little bit of time. And not referring to those lost 2 lifes, not sure about that part... you actually might gained some extra time on that
Hi there, thanks for the compliment and watching the videos
The 2 deaths were fully intentional as you spawn back at the top of the screen whereas climbing the ladders to the top of the screen takes much longer,...pretty clever eh?!
I cannot improve on this run, I really have covered everything including the clever timed double jump at 3:00 in the video, either way this will be a tough one to beat.
Old 03 February 2018, 11:29   #4
seuden
uber cool demi god

Awesome. Now the CPC version?
Old 04 February 2018, 01:14   #5
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
The 2 deaths were fully intentional as you spawn back at the top of the screen whereas climbing the ladders to the top of the screen takes much longer,...pretty clever eh?!
I guessed it's something like that... great idea, and execution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
I cannot improve on this run, I really have covered everything including the clever timed double jump at 3:00 in the video, either way this will be a tough one to beat.
Well... sure... you know much better then me in this game.
One question though:
On the stage that is on 5:10, do you need to drop (all the way) down on 5:18? Why not just go right, up the stairs and pick up the lanters that free you passage on the right?
Old 04 February 2018, 01:15   #6
Foebane
Banned

Very good, Zeus. Now try it on the original Atari version, where I don't think the Ninja nor Green Yamo will ignore you jumping past them like that!

Wow, do I know this game, I completed it at least twice on the A8!
Old 04 February 2018, 01:26   #7
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Very good, Zeus. Now try it on the original Atari version, where I don't think the Ninja nor Green Yamo will ignore you jumping past them like that!

Wow, do I know this game, I completed it at least twice on the A8!
Cheers
Ha, someone's already asked me to give the CPC version a speedrun shot, all the other versions run slower than the Spectrum one so I don't think it would look that impressive.
I think I'll leave the other versions alone for someone else to speedrun, I've longplayed all the other versions out there and they can be seen on my channel
Old 04 February 2018, 01:29   #8
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I guessed it's something like that... great idea, and execution.

Well... sure... you know much better then me in this game.
One question though:
On the stage that is on 5:10, do you need to drop (all the way) down on 5:18? Why not just go right, up the stairs and pick up the lanters that free you passage on the right?
The problem is as you can see there are green walls which will not allow you to walk through so you must climb the stairs then collect the lanterns by dropping down to the very bottom then reclim the ladders and escape to the right,...if that is what you were asking?!
Old 07 February 2018, 14:22   #9
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Bruce Lee

Did you play it on the hard setting second time around? or was you aiming for just a time attack on the first level.
Old 07 February 2018, 20:30   #10
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRetroGaming View Post
Did you play it on the hard setting second time around? or was you aiming for just a time attack on the first level.
Just the fastest possible time on the 1st loop.