English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 01 January 2018, 18:08   #21
BarryB
Amigaholic

Apart from screenshot 13 I've seen all the other screens, so might be doing things in the wrong order?
Old 01 January 2018, 18:39   #22
mk1

Yes, and the last one is the end screen, so it seems that who ever took those shots managed to complete the game.
Old 01 January 2018, 18:45   #23
DamienD
Banned

I'm sure one of the HOL team can tell us who took the actual screenshots.

Afterwards, we can try to work out why it's weird for you guys but not for the screenshot taker.

It has to be the order of actions / events
Old 01 January 2018, 19:35   #24
BarryB
Amigaholic

Following the ST solution doesn't seem to work, once you have left Billot and choose to sleep in the gutter no creature appears? Even after wandering around and coming back to the inn and sleeping in the gutter again multiple times nothing happens?
Old 01 January 2018, 19:51   #25
DamienD
Banned

...there has to be a set of actions / events that triggers this in the Amiga version (and obviously it's different from the Atari ST version).
Old 01 January 2018, 21:16   #26
BarryB
Amigaholic

No idea, just played the ST version in Steem and while I get the sound effects and the extra people on some screens I can't get the creature to appear after sleeping in the gutter?
Old 02 January 2018, 05:15   #27
dalek

Oh wow! I've been trying to remember the name of this game for years!

I bought this when I was a kid - I'm sure I have the disk and and case _somewhere_ in my boxes of Amiga disks but have never been able to find it. I will have a more thorough look for the original (which I'm sure I would have kept write protected, because, you know, special )

As a kid I gave up on this game - got stuck somewhere early on and couldn't work out how to get past that point. I've downloaded the walkthrough in case as an adult I'm just as dumb as back when I first played it.

So anyway, thanks for the memory - those HOL screenshots are exactly what I've been trying to find with not much luck (not remembering the name or anything else about the game, other than buying it and the white disk it came on!)
Old 02 January 2018, 14:18   #28
BarryB
Amigaholic

I've spent about 2 hours playing this and just can't progress any further! I've found the man in forest who's mother is ill but can't cure her, found him again but the wizard says he can't find the cure after looking in the gutters? If you go 'up' in the castle without Billot you find the Grail, but it says it won't help as you don't show mercy or charity? No matter how many times I sleep in the gutter with or without Billot the creature mentioned in the walkthrough never appears?

So WHO completed this on the Amiga to get the HOL shots, particularly screenshot 13?
Old 02 January 2018, 17:38   #29
mk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I've spent about 2 hours playing this and just can't progress any further! I've found the man in forest who's mother is ill but can't cure her, found him again but the wizard says he can't find the cure after looking in the gutters? If you go 'up' in the castle without Billot you find the Grail, but it says it won't help as you don't show mercy or charity? No matter how many times I sleep in the gutter with or without Billot the creature mentioned in the walkthrough never appears?
That's exactly where I'm stuck too. After sleeping in the gutter the creature never appears and without the bottle to help him you can't progress in the forest and thus get the grail.

As this game can be "torn apart" in Talespin I'll take a look at it later. Maybe there we can find the reason for this misbehavior.
Old 02 January 2018, 17:43   #30
mk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
Oh wow! I've been trying to remember the name of this game for years!

I bought this when I was a kid - I'm sure I have the disk and and case _somewhere_ in my boxes of Amiga disks but have never been able to find it. I will have a more thorough look for the original (which I'm sure I would have kept write protected, because, you know, special )

As a kid I gave up on this game - got stuck somewhere early on and couldn't work out how to get past that point. I've downloaded the walkthrough in case as an adult I'm just as dumb as back when I first played it.

So anyway, thanks for the memory - those HOL screenshots are exactly what I've been trying to find with not much luck (not remembering the name or anything else about the game, other than buying it and the white disk it came on!)

I also had this game as a kid as it was really cheap (no wonder) even back then. Sold it after getting stuck in the same place what we are now trying to sort out. I was revisiting old games that I owned once so that's why I'm here. It's really a crappy game otherwise - or I don't know if one should even call it a game, but a choose-your-path story.
Old 02 January 2018, 17:56   #31
rygar

I found another version:
https://picclick.it/The-Grail-Prism-...030991650.html
Maybe this one is correct?
Old 02 January 2018, 18:53   #32
mk1

I think the probability code is broken. If you remove the probability variable from the character it works fine and you can progress.

Same goes for the other characters inside the castle, they all have a probability value and thus don't appear at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 19.38.26.png
Views:	115
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	56037  
Old 02 January 2018, 19:03   #33
BarryB
Amigaholic

Yes, think the Amiga version is 'broken' as the one that comes with the Amiga Talespin creator also has the same issues!

No idea on the Prism Leisure release rygar linked too, HOL has no budget publisher info!

I've played the ST version again and have managed to get the creature to appear, sequence I followed was leave Billot at the inn, go to forest and find man needing help, try to help then go back to castle, find grail but grail won't help so go back to town and sleep in gutter, creature appeared! Did the same sequence on the Amiga and no creature appears
Old 02 January 2018, 19:40   #34
rygar

Both releases are on eBay right now (if anyone want to buy)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Grail...wAAOSwzgBY2YgX

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Grail...AAAOSwQaJXRK5Y

and many Prism releases also:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...amiga&_sacat=0
Old 02 January 2018, 20:21   #35
BarryB
Amigaholic

I'll volunteer rygar to buy both versions

I think I also have this on the Goldrush compilation, trouble is, finding it! I have a lot of stuff in storage so if it's not in my collection at home I will have to trudge off one day and try to find it!

@mk1: Can you fix the game to play like the ST version, sound effects and all people
Old 02 January 2018, 21:05   #36
mk1

Quote:
@mk1: Can you fix the game to play like the ST version, sound effects and all people
Haha, I think this would be doable. All you need to do is remove the probabilities. I don't know if those other people appearing are relevant for progessing but I guess it doesn't hurt if they are always there.

But sound effects? I can hear some sounds here and there.

EDIT: still curious about those HOL screenshots though...
Old 02 January 2018, 21:49   #37
BarryB
Amigaholic

Yes, the last one I haven't seen, forgot about that when I said I'd seen all the others apart from screen 13. But, I haven't heard ANY sound effects though?
Old 02 January 2018, 22:01   #38
mk1

I just uploaded a "fixed" version to The Zone for testing purposes.

The ADF includes only the thegrail.tal and the Telltale program (public domain) to run The Grail. Doesn't autoboot, so run via CLI or WB.

If this works fine and you can finish the game, maybe we could create a new standalone autobooting ADF by simply replacing the thegrail.tal with this one?

Last edited by mk1; 02 January 2018 at 22:14.
Old 02 January 2018, 23:05   #39
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1 View Post
I just uploaded a "fixed" version to The Zone for testing purposes.
Lol, i'd give it a go except it's a blank disk
Old 02 January 2018, 23:09   #40
rygar

Quote:
Lol, i'd give it a go except it's a blank disk
Probabilibity for files was setting to zero