English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 22 May 2021, 20:49   #1
falken
Amiga Lover

Workbench windows position

A simple question,
In what file and location is the position of the system windows stored?
Old 22 May 2021, 20:59   #2
daxb

Drawer icon files.
Old 22 May 2021, 21:02   #3
falken
Amiga Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Drawer icon files.
You mean all info files, not just disk.info?
Old 22 May 2021, 22:20   #4
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

No. There's a .info file without a filename in every snapshotted directory.
Old 22 May 2021, 23:00   #5
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
No. There's a .info file without a filename in every snapshotted directory.
No, there isn't. If there is, then it's a bug.

The size of the drawer window is stored in the drawer's .info file.

For example Tools.info contains the size of the Tools drawer.

Disk.info holds the size of the disk's window only.
Old 22 May 2021, 23:09   #6
Nobby_UK

Prob... one of the Pref/Env-Archive/Sys files
Old 22 May 2021, 23:22   #7
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

If there's a drawer named "disk" in the root directory of you hard drive, you have a name conflict. Are you saying THAT's not a bug?
Old 23 May 2021, 01:00   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
Prob... one of the Pref/Env-Archive/Sys files
No those are the Def Icons that are assigned to files and folders that do not have an icon, even in the Def Icon you can store the window size and icon position.
As already said each icon is stored the preferences of the size and position of the icon, in OS3 the saved data are not visible in the icon, on AROS for example you can see some of the saves.
Old 23 May 2021, 07:58   #9
Exodous

Quote:
If there's a drawer named "disk" in the root directory of you hard drive, you have a name conflict. Are you saying THAT's not a bug?

I just tried this on 3.1.4:
  • From Workbench, create a drawer called "Disk" at the top level.
  • Reboot
The icon for the disk no longer appears on the Workbench window - presumably because "disk.info" is now a folder icon and not a disk icon.

If you then open a shell and delete disk.info, the default icon for the disk re-appears within a few seconds.

I also tried just having a file called "disk.info" that wasn't a valid icon file and it was just ignored, displaying the default icon for the disk.

I haven't got any other installations to try, but I wonder if it does this on other versions of Workbench?
Old 23 May 2021, 11:55   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodous View Post
I just tried this on 3.1.4:

If you then open a shell and delete disk.info, the default icon for the disk re-appears within a few seconds.
If you delete Disk.info from the Shell the icon will be deleted, if you reboot the system you will see that the icon will not exist anymore, and the volume will take the default system icon or another icon if there is a command in the startup-sequence or suser-startup.

In any case it is not possible to have two Disk.info in the same volume because that name by definition belongs only to one Volume.
Old 24 May 2021, 11:16   #11
Exodous

I understand how the default icons system works, but you have missed my point entirely.

My point was about the interesting behaviour that I observed if there is a "disk.info" icon that is not a disk icon type (WBDISK). In this case, using 3.1.4,, the disk didn't appear on the Workbench screen.

Within seconds of deleting that incorrect icon type, or replacing it with a valid disk icon, the disk reappears either using the default disk icon (if no "disk.info", or the icon from the valid "disk.info". No reboot (or reload of Workbench) is required.

In the interests of experimentation, I have tested this on base installations of Workbench 1.3, 2.04, 3.0, 3.1 and 3.1.4. The 1.3 (C= A500), 3.0 (C= A1200) and 3.1 (Escom A1200) installations were taken from backups of my original Amiga floppy disks and their corresponding ROMs. 3.1.4 (A1200) from a purchased Hyperion 3.1.4 and 2.04 from Amiga Forever 8.

I have tested with the following icon types: WBDRAWER, WBTOOL, WBPROJECT, WBGARBAGE, WBDEVICE, WBKICK and WBAPPICON as well as an invalid icon file (random text for example).

For all tests below, if the disk.info file is not a valid icon file then the default disk icon is displayed and can be opened.

Workbench 1.3 displays the image from the icon, irrespective of it's type, but if its not of type WBDISK, things don't work if you double-click it and you get different errors depending upon the type of icon.

Workbench 2.04, 3.0 and 3.1 always displays an icon that opens the disk. If it's not of type WBDISK, then it uses the default disk icon.

Workbench 3.1.4 (and 3.1.4.1) only displays an icon if "disk.info" is either of type WBDISK or if "disk.info" is not a valid icon file, for example random text. If it's not of type WBDISK, then it uses the default disk icon.

I can't confirm what happens in 3.2 as I don't have 3.2 yet.

Using PeterK's icon.library replacement (I tested 46.4, rebooting after installation) makes no difference to this observed behaviour on either 3.1 (works) or 3.1.4 (fails) suggesting it's not related to icon.library, but is somewhere else - possibly workbench.library?

This change in behaviour was therefore introduced in 3.1.4, and it does appear to be a bug as Samurai_Crow suggests.
Old 24 May 2021, 12:40   #12
Daedalus

Quote:
I'm confused. To me, it looks like thomas wasn't saying anything like that at all, and it also looks like that has nothing to do with .info files appearing in every directory (which doesn't happen on any of my systems, and would rightly be called a bug unless it's the intended behaviour of some odd 3rd party patch).
Old 25 May 2021, 07:57   #13
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

He wasn't saying that was or wasn't a bug but the possibility occurred to me as he mentioned it. I wasn't the first to see it either. Having a .info file with no filename in front of the dot would be a better place to store the data because empty filenames are already illegal.
Old 25 May 2021, 10:37   #14
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I understand how the default icons system works, but you have missed my point entirely.

My point was about the interesting behaviour that I observed if there is a "disk.info" icon that is not a disk icon type (WBDISK). In this case, using 3.1.4,, the disk didn't appear on the Workbench screen.
Unfortunately the translation from the Web does not help, I made a small video to demonstrate that on Amiga OS can not coexist a folder named "Disk".

In the video you can see that created a folder named Disk, this will disappear after closing and reopening the window, its icon after a restart will become the icon of the Disk, see video

http://eab.abime.net/zone/Test-Icons.zip
Old 25 May 2021, 12:34   #15
Daedalus

Quote:
Having a .info file with no filename in front of the dot would be a better place to store the data because empty filenames are already illegal.
Still confused. Your earlier post sounds like you're trying to say that such a file is already where the window size and position are stored, whereas here you're putting it forward as a suggestion.
Old 25 May 2021, 12:43   #16
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Having a .info file with no filename in front of the dot would be a better place to store the data because empty filenames are already illegal.

The .info you mentioned are actually not nameless but they have as name the character "Space" in fact you can create as many as you want adding one space at a time until you reach the maximum number of characters managed by the filesystem.
Old 25 May 2021, 13:07   #17
Exodous

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Unfortunately the translation from the Web does not help

It seems like it's just a misunderstanding due to language

What I described only happens in Workbench 3.1.4. What version was your video showing?
Old 25 May 2021, 16:29   #18
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
What I described only happens in Workbench 3.1.4. What version was your video showing?
Used OS 3.1.4