Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 15 March 2021, 15:13   #21
Jami
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Try HLSL

It's great on Mame.

But do you know how to use this shader in WinUae ? or FS-UAE ?
Old 15 March 2021, 15:32   #22
defor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Imagine seeing this one running on an A500 in the computer store in 1987..
Yes, it would be totally groundbreaking.
And also impossible All techniques used in this fantastic demo come from decades of evolution on Amiga (or Atari ST) demoscene. Blitter c2p, fast texturing (some self modifying code technique maybe?), compression, a lot of precalculated data, ...

All I want to say is that revolutions certainly happen from time to time but mostly things happen in evolutionary steps.
Old 15 March 2021, 15:53   #23
no9

Agree with that. The other creatures also evolve. If Amiga would be able to make such a leap so do the others.
Old 15 March 2021, 16:16   #24
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valken View Post
If someone can recommend a shader that makes LCD look "almost" as good as this demo on CRT, please share. Need a side by to verify it.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=61776&page=10

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=104864
Old 15 March 2021, 18:25   #25
rothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
The furthest I got with my coding was my own 3d was outline only with no hidden line culling... This is inspiring me to try and do more, but it's a mountain to climb! Are there any good guides to fast 3d routines out there that people know of?

I'd have thought that this demo is using precalculated 3D, so it's not really a 3D engine. It's just drawing the precalculated scenes.
Old 15 March 2021, 21:40   #26
4pLaY
www.resistance.no

Quote:
I've just tried running this on my 1000 - it loads 5 tracks, I get a flash of a graphic on a screen and then hang... Same disk works on my rev5 motherboard 500 with the same disk drive.

Sad to say, but the demo will not work on an A1000. We did not get to test on my A1000 until late in the development of the production and it is not likely to get fixed at this point.
Old 15 March 2021, 22:10   #27
chiark
Needs a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pLaY View Post
Sad to say, but the demo will not work on an A1000. We did not get to test on my A1000 until late in the development of the production and it is not likely to get fixed at this point.
Ah, no problems! Any ideas as to why it would fail - to my knowledge there shouldn't be much difference at all? I realise there's OCS vs ECS, however it'd be good to understand what might be causing the issues.

It is a stunning demo, it really is.
Old 16 March 2021, 09:03   #28
bifat

Dear Photon,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
This demo likely uses Bifat's own compression algorithm, but IDK for sure. I see no PC port for the compressor. For recent demos, he's tethered an Amiga to WinUAE and sends data over a cable to run it.
I registered to EAB just for replying to this. :-)
The compression algorithm is LZO, and http://aminet.net/util/pack/cranker.lha contains all the source code. On my server there are also binaries for Linux, Windows, MacOSX. Cranker is an executable packer, but also contains a data decruncher.
I am not coding against emulators, and especially not under Windows. I do not even use or have Windows. I used fs-uae a bit during the trackmo setup phase. I've grouped the demo into "parts". Far more than 95% of the time I was coding these parts against an A600 with 2mb RAM and a PCMCIA network adapter.
I just wanted to point out that emulators are not needed to do demos. People seem to be freaking out over frameworks and IDEs and integration of emulators and tooling and whatnot. I use a script preprocessor, a cross assembler, and a network launcher on the Amiga.
Old 16 March 2021, 09:05   #29
bifat

Quote:
Ah, no problems! Any ideas as to why it would fail - to my knowledge there shouldn't be much difference at all? I realise there's OCS vs ECS, however it'd be good to understand what might be causing the issues.

We have no idea, and I'm really sorry about it. We wanted to make it compatible with as many Amigas as possible and spent a lot of work for this. But we simply didn't have an A1000 with 1mb of memory when we needed it.
Old 16 March 2021, 11:01   #30
chiark
Needs a life

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I could see the care that's gone into this, especially with the reporting out of dropped frames, syncs etc. It's immense
Old 16 March 2021, 14:46   #31
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifat View Post
We have no idea, and I'm really sorry about it. We wanted to make it compatible with as many Amigas as possible and spent a lot of work for this. But we simply didn't have an A1000 with 1mb of memory when we needed it.
Hi bifat, kudos for Hologon (and for the other intros/demos also!).

I suppose chiark's A1000 is a PAL version with Agnus 8367. The VBI arrives on line 1 and not on 0.
So if you have some code with very tight synchronization it may be that you do not receive a response (or delayed) in some waiting check (or you expect that the code ends up in a certain raster line and instead it doesn't happen because you are in the successive..).

I don't think there can be other cases of incompatibility (apart from the EHB, I don't know for the 7-bpls trick), but in any case they would not lock the code, only 'wrong' video effects.
Old 16 March 2021, 14:59   #32
chiark
Needs a life

You're right, it is a PAL machine Ross, and it is an 8367 in there. That's some incredible esoteric knowledge there!
Old 17 March 2021, 22:12   #33
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifat View Post
The compression algorithm is LZO
Someone else said compression algorithm, I went along with it instead of just writing cruncher. :P My fault.
Old 18 March 2021, 02:30   #34
CFou!

for information, i am just finished whdload's patch for Hologon (released soon)
Old 18 March 2021, 02:58   #35
Valken

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Try HLSL:

[ Show youtube player ]
Both worthy advices.

The CRT_Phosphors masks look pretty good. Same for the aperture masks. Even DamienD's scanline settings looks really good on LCD!

It seems we need some to port the HLSL shader functions of

scanline_variation
scanline_jitter
hum_bar_alpha
power
floor
signal
phosphor_life

The only monitors I've seen that looks ALMOST CRT like is on OLED. I will ask the RESHADE team about MAME HLSL in discord and see if they can give us any advice.

edit - I found this has the phosphor decay shader and others from MAME : https://github.com/Matsilagi/RSRetroArch

Last edited by Valken; 18 March 2021 at 03:07.