English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 30 September 2022, 15:49   #1
orphan264

3.2.1 IconEdit - Could not obtain enough color pens

I am unable to use IconEdit in 3.2.1.

When started via workbench, the IconEdit screen appears and then I get a message "Could not obtains enough color pens. Downgrade?"

I have the option of quitting or Downgrading. If I select "downgrade" I see -

"Could not obtain enough color pens. Will have to quit"

at this point my only option is to select "OK". IconEdit then quits.

Does anyone have any idea how to get around this? I tried changing the color depth of my native screen (I don't have a RTG board) but that didn't help.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
Old 30 September 2022, 16:24   #2
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Is there any other program you are running at the same time that might be allocating a lot of pens?
Old 30 September 2022, 16:43   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

orphan264, i think it is a problem of few colors in the Workbench, in the screenmode add the maximum colors, of course you will have to have enough RAM.
Old 30 September 2022, 18:11   #4
PeterK

I don't have the OS 3.2.1 IconEdit and thus can't do any tests, but there was already a discussion on A1k.org where the OS developer boemann (Camilla) said:
Quote:
So IconEdit in 3.2.1 is based on pens. It allocates as many pens as the icon contains - if that is impossible it gives up. While the pens it allocates are shared, it does require the pens to be of accurate color so in reality not many pens will be shared.

If you run out of pens when starting IconEdit, it may be a solution to edit the tooltypes of IconEdit and give it a publicscreen so it doesn't have to share pens with workbench at least. I believe (not 100% sure) that if you just give it a name it will open it's own publicscreen for you.
Update: The IconEdit of OS 3.9 behaves in a different way. It always opens the GUI even if there are not enough free or shared pens for getting exact colors. Then it maps to the best available colors of the screen palette. And only on a Workbench with a lower depth (up to 32 colors) the OS 3.9 IconEdit tries to open its own screen automatically (no extra tooltype required) if necessary. I don't know how the OS 3.2.1 IconEdit will handle that. Try it out.

Don't try to load OS4 or PNG TrueColor icons with the OS 3.2.1 IconEdit !! This still doesn't work yet, not even with my icon.libary.

Last edited by PeterK; 30 September 2022 at 18:37.
Old 30 September 2022, 19:03   #5
AMIGASYSTEM

Peter as I already mentioned the error request "Could not obtains enough color pens. Downgrade?" appears if you have less than "64 Colors" on the Workbench, see screenshot

The same error "Could not obtains enough color pens. Downgrade?" appears if you use an RTG Screen and try to load a DualPNG Icon

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 10 November 2022 at 21:30.
Old 30 September 2022, 19:33   #6
PeterK

That 3.2.1 IconEdit can't handle any TrueColor icons yet. Don't even try to load PNG icons, because they have no AmigaOS DiskObject structure, but it seems that this IconEdit assumes that there is also a pair of planar images stored in the icon file. You may get unexpected results, i.e. "not enough memory" errors. Btw, I've no idea what "Downgrade" should do? Using less colors?

But if you really have this IconEdit, did you try out to add tooltypes like "PUBSCREEN=name" or "PUBLICSCREEN"? What does SnoopDos display? Which tooltypes are checked by IconEdit when you start it?

Last edited by PeterK; 01 October 2022 at 12:03.
Old 30 September 2022, 22:00   #7
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
, i.e. "not enough memory" errors. Btw, I've no idea what "Downgrade" should do? Using less colors?

No the other way around if you choose "Downgrade", they increase the colors available in Iconedit's color panel, although it doesn't work well, see screenshot

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 05 January 2023 at 22:26.
Old 02 October 2022, 16:37   #8
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orphan264 View Post
I am unable to use IconEdit in 3.2.1.

When started via workbench, the IconEdit screen appears and then I get a message "Could not obtains enough color pens. Downgrade?"

I have the option of quitting or Downgrading. If I select "downgrade" I see -

"Could not obtain enough color pens. Will have to quit"

at this point my only option is to select "OK". IconEdit then quits.

Does anyone have any idea how to get around this? I tried changing the color depth of my native screen (I don't have a RTG board) but that didn't help.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
Given that you say it starts the iconedit screen i assume you have already specified another screen. This other screen will open with the same number of colors as wb

If that number is less than the number of pens used in the icon then you are out of luck. If you can increase the number of colors on wb and still do iconedit on it's own screen then things should improve.

If you don't have aga either and can't set wb to more than 16 colors then you are likely completely out of luck
Old 02 October 2022, 17:29   #9
boemann
Camilla, AmigaOS Dev.

Downgrade make it try to allocate using PRECISION_ICON for the last pen that failed. In reality this is will likely amount to no real solution as the next pen will fail too. A slightly better solution I guess would be to start over allocating all pens using PRECISION_ICON

The problem with downgrade even if we were to use PRECISION_ICON for all pens is that we will end up with some pens being merged together. If you then save the icon you will end up with an icon worse than the original.
Old 02 October 2022, 18:18   #10
orphan264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Is there any other program you are running at the same time that might be allocating a lot of pens?
I do not believe so. The only other program running at boot is WBDOCK2. But
to be safe I turned it off first. Don't seem to make any difference.
Thanks, though.
Old 02 October 2022, 18:21   #11
orphan264

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
orphan264, i think it is a problem of few colors in the Workbench, in the screenmode add the maximum colors, of course you will have to have enough RAM.
I am using an Amiga 4000 with 2M chip and 16M fast.

I have raised the color depth of my workbench screen to 256 colors, and then I can start IconEdit! Yay!

However, everything is crazy slow in this mode and I don't have any 256 color icons. However, this seems like a workaround, though a really slow one. Thanks!
Old 02 October 2022, 18:26   #12
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes to use 256 colors you need to have a powerful Amiga, however you should solve even with 64 Colors !
Old 02 October 2022, 18:27   #13
orphan264

Quote:
I don't have the OS 3.2.1 IconEdit and thus can't do any tests, but there was already a discussion on A1k.org where the OS developer boemann (Camilla) said:

Update: The IconEdit of OS 3.9 behaves in a different way. It always opens the GUI even if there are not enough free or shared pens for getting exact colors. Then it maps to the best available colors of the screen palette. And only on a Workbench with a lower depth (up to 32 colors) the OS 3.9 IconEdit tries to open its own screen automatically (no extra tooltype required) if necessary. I don't know how the OS 3.2.1 IconEdit will handle that. Try it out.

Don't try to load OS4 or PNG TrueColor icons with the OS 3.2.1 IconEdit !! This still doesn't work yet, not even with my icon.libary.
I have tried (and failed) to open the application on a public screen. I tried PUBSCREEN= and PUBLICSCREEN. I checked the documentation and there is no mention of a public screen tooltype..

I don't have any PNG icons.

Please note: I have not even loaded an ICON yet, I can't even get that far.
Old 02 October 2022, 18:29   #14
orphan264

Quote:
Peter as I already mentioned the error request "Could not obtains enough color pens. Downgrade?" appears if you have less than "64 Colors" on the Workbench, see screenshot

The same error "Could not obtains enough color pens. Downgrade?" appears if you use an RTG Screen and try to load a DualPNG Icon
I am not using DualPNG icons. The only option that works for me is running WorkBench in 256 colors. 64 colors did not work for me. Thanks
Old 02 October 2022, 18:30   #15
orphan264

Quote:
But if you really have this IconEdit, did you try out to add tooltypes like "PUBSCREEN=name" or "PUBLICSCREEN"? What does SnoopDos display? Which tooltypes are checked by IconEdit when you start it?
I did try the public screen tooltypes you mention. I could not get them to work. I will play with SnoopDos later today. Thanks
Old 02 October 2022, 18:31   #16
orphan264

Quote:
No the other way around if you choose "Downgrade", they increase the colors available in Iconedit's color panel, although it doesn't work well, see screenshot
I have never had it get that far for me. "Downgrade" never seems to work. Thanks
Old 02 October 2022, 18:36   #17
orphan264

Quote:
Originally Posted by boemann View Post
Given that you say it starts the iconedit screen i assume you have already specified another screen. This other screen will open with the same number of colors as wb
I was unable to make it open in a public screen. Can you tell me what the syntax is for the tooltype?

Quote:
If that number is less than the number of pens used in the icon then you are out of luck. If you can increase the number of colors on wb and still do iconedit on it's own screen then things should improve.
I have not yet selected an icon to edit. If I make my workbench depth 256 colors, I can start IconEdit, which seems to default to a drawer icon. Anything less than 256 color screen fails to start without attempting to "Downgrade" and then fails.

Quote:
If you don't have aga either and can't set wb to more than 16 colors then you are likely completely out of luck
I do have AGA and tried 32/64/128 and had no luck.

Thanks
Old 02 October 2022, 18:42   #18
orphan264

For now I am having to change my Workbench to 256 colors so I can work in "slow motion". I will investigate further to see if SnoopDos can give me a hint.

I appreciate all the help and ideas!
Old 02 October 2022, 18:44   #19
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Set a tooltype PUBSCREEN
Then when you run IconEdit it will open a new screen in same resolution as WB but at 8 bit depth 256c (on AGA) or at 8-32bits for RTG.
Them you can load any Colour (GlowIcon)
All this icons are usually less then 256c
If it does not load, your icons are not of system supported type.
Old 02 October 2022, 18:48   #20
orphan264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Set a tooltype PUBSCREEN
Then when you run IconEdit it will open a new screen in same resolution as WB but at 8 bit depth 256c (on AGA) or at 8-32bits for RTG.
Them you can load any Colour (GlowIcon)
All this icons are usually less then 256c
If it does not load, your icons are not of system supported type.
Thank you Michael, I will try PUBSCREEN.