English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 November 2022, 05:03   #1
avongil

Apollo 1230 Turbo MK3 - Not booting

I have what seems to be an Apollo 1230 Turbo MK3 that came standard with a MagicBox Alphagen - AKA rack mounted A1200.

After much black magic and fiddling, I have come to the conclusion that the card will no longer boot the machine. After hours of messing with it, and trying to boot a compact flash - it failed for the last time. I could not get the machine back up without putting new capacitors in it. The power supply would just cut out - I checked the 5v rail and it went to zero very shortly after the machine tried to boot up.

After replacing the capacitors, the board booted without the accelerator.
When the accelerator was plugged in I just get a black screen.

Luckily I have two other Alphagens. The busted one has a 68030 rated at 25 mhz. It also gets warm pretty fasts. I am wondering if it is just clocked way too high.

The other two accelerators work great. They are ceramic .

Does anyone have any ideas??? If I got a ceramic one rated for 40 MHz, do I have to do anything other than solder in a socket or the processor directly to the board? Also, The FPU could also be brining it down maybe???

I am just about out of ideas. The only Idea I have is that these Apollo accelerators made with the cheaper lower clocked processor are pure junk!
Old 30 November 2022, 12:24   #2
Boing-Ball

The MK3 CPU is rated at 25mhz with a 33mhz FPU with a 40mhz XTAL/Oscillator. You may have burnt out the CPU? Have you changed the XTAL/CPU to a lower one to test? Or possible XTAL/Oscillator faulty?

Pushed down on the socketed chips to make sure they are in properly?

RAM good on the MK3? Have you tried without the RAM on the card? Ran AmigaTestKit to test components? Or even used DiagROM?

Looks like a 2B 1200 mainboard. Timing fixes applied?
Old 01 December 2022, 01:05   #3
avongil

Yeah to all those things! Sooo, Im with you on this one. Im just so peeved they made this thing with such a junky cpu. I got peeved and desoldered it just now!
Awaiting a PGA 128 pin socket and a 40 mhz 68030 from a IIfx I got from ebay. I am not sure how to know they are genuine, so I got one that looked old and beat up.

Yes, I think you are right I should certainly socket the xtal also.
Old 22 December 2022, 01:35   #4
avongil

I moved the FPU into another card and it failed to boot after a few power cycles. Removed the FPU, and it works fine. Still waiting for a 40 mhz 030 to arrive. I have socketed and re-capped the 1230. Waiting patiently, but I think the problem was the FPU.
Old 22 December 2022, 01:57   #5
sneeker

Have you tried pulling out out a mm or so, my apollo 1240 only really works if you push it all in and then pull it back by a mm or so, I guess after all these years the connectors don't make as stronger contact with the expansion connector as they did.
Old 23 December 2022, 01:12   #6
avongil

I did have a look at the contacts, and I cleaned and brushed them, i think they are making great contact.
Old 23 December 2022, 01:14   #7
avongil

The socket arrived early this week. I removed the 030 rated at 25, soldered in the socket and installed the new very old and rusty 68030 rated at 40 mhz. She fired right up and is running rock solid.
Old 23 December 2022, 01:16   #8
avongil

The upgraded card is on the bottom. Next step is to try an FPU rated at 40mhz

Old 10 January 2023, 02:01   #9
avongil

Update:

1 - Timing fixes done!
2 - New fpu installed.

--

No go. It will get all the way to workbench then poof - its dead before any icons pop up.

If I hold down the two mouse buttons on boot up, it gets to the gray screen with the options but the mouse locks up right away. Shortly after the screen goes black.

---

If I remove the FPU - all is good with both cards. Tried multiple ram sticks. Same deal. Tried the wait jumper. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

---

Sysinfo off the boot disk runs with one card but displays no clock. FPU detected.

With fpu removed and booted into workbench, it reads Clock Found and of course, FPU not detected.

That is all the info I have. This machine is almost there, I just can't get the blasted FPU to be recognized!
Old 10 January 2023, 11:42   #10
Boing-Ball

Seem to recall I had issues with the PLCC socket for FPU in these and instead had a PGA socket installed and used a copper FPU instead. Not sure why this was an issue. But worth a try if you want the FPU as an option. Or fit a FPU socket on the Mainboard but run at the speed of the Mainboard.
Chris Edwards has done a YouTube on this if you need reference material.
Old 10 January 2023, 11:43   #11
Boing-Ball

Seem to recall I had issues with the PLCC socket for FPU in these and instead had a PGA socket installed and used a copper FPU instead. Not sure why this was an issue. But worth a try if you want the FPU as an option. Or fit a FPU socket on the Mainboard but run at the speed of the Mainboard.
Chris Edwards has done a YouTube on this if you need reference material.
Old 10 January 2023, 15:22   #12
avongil

the accelerator, im not sure how Id get a plcc socket in there. there is no accomodations for it. I did that with the 030, it was pretty easy but the holes where all there.

I do like your second idea. Going to go pick Chris' brain now!
Old 10 January 2023, 17:34   #13
Boing-Ball

FPU link

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 10 January 2023, 19:20   #14
avongil

Im going to try it. worst case the board gets a really sweet looking socket. 5 pcs have been ordered.
Old 17 January 2023, 05:04   #15
avongil

I threw that FPU socket on the board in. Took only 15 min, it was real easy! FPU works great when the card is not in. When it is, it is disabled.

I'm done messing around with the Apollo accelerator. It's too fussy about everything.

Ordered a TF to replace it, I just want something simple that works! I also heard it works with the FPU on the board so it should be perfect for a classic style mutant A1200.
Old 18 January 2023, 02:28   #16
Boing-Ball

Have had no issues with the Phase 5 MK IV 1230 cards with a FPU fitted. They are simply plug and play and plain work. Shame you hadn’t bought one them instead. Good luck with the TF 1230.
Old 18 January 2023, 19:44   #17
avongil

Can you point me to where they are sold? Their web page is worthless, just goes in circles...
Old 18 January 2023, 20:02   #18
Boing-Ball

Which? Phase 5 or terrible fire?

Phase 5 1230 cards are classic accelerators from 1996 and later made and sold by DCE when they bought out Phase 5.

Have a look on EBay as they come up quite often for sale.

Terrible Fire cards can be bought from anywhere that sell Amiga hardware products from what I can gather.

https://amigastore.eu/en/868-terribl...128mb-ide.html

There are also cards such as the Tsunami which is a spiritual successor to the Phase 5 DCE Blizzard cards.

https://amigastore.eu/en/869-tsunami...-mhz-64mb.html
Old 18 January 2023, 21:47   #19
avongil

Ok, excellent. I got the TF because it was in stock and it was new and I didn't have to refurbish yet another component! The onboard IDE was very tempting also. I think it should work out.
Old 24 January 2023, 05:50   #20
avongil

TF1230 installed. Everything works - including the FPU I threw in on the board and the RTC. Both of these failed to work on the Apollo.

The Nexus7 demo plays like the 1230, you need to restart with cache off, pal mode and no start up sequence.