English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Demos

Old 02 November 2022, 03:01   #1
ImmortalA1000

The original Amiga 1000 sound demo,it played Fairlight synth samples

It's here in Micro Live
[ Show youtube player ]

It's labelled as Workbench Demos disks on the desktop in the footage there at 1:30. I believe the program I want is in the folder marked sound effects. There are 3 other folders labelled Graphics, Animations, Pictures and a trashcan in the Window.

Does anybody know where I can find the adf for this demo disk that has the samples player you can play on the QWERTY keyboard as Fred Harris is doing at the end of that video?
Old 02 November 2022, 23:06   #2
Photon

5:07 for the timestamp.

If 1985 is correct, it might be the first .adf mentioned here (dead link to .adf) https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81382

The program he's using is running in a hidden background window at the timestamp.

With the first string sample, he's emulating the start of "Charmaine" by Erno Rapee, orchestrated by Mantovani, which was popular at the time (from a movie, I believe), and demonstrates multitimbrality/polyphony (rolling voice allocation).

I would think [ Show youtube player ] would be capable of doing this in 1985, but it could also be a small custom demo (included with the standard Lines, Dots, etc demos for later WB versions) to show the Fairlight sample import function.

Because I haven't seen it in WB1.2 or WB1.3, I think it's an earlier version and it could be on a similar Extras disk. Or the dealer Demos disk mentioned initially.
Old 02 November 2022, 23:54   #3
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
5:07 for the timestamp.

If 1985 is correct, it might be the first .adf mentioned here (dead link to .adf) https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81382

The program he's using is running in a hidden background window at the timestamp.

With the first string sample, he's emulating the start of "Charmaine" by Erno Rapee, orchestrated by Mantovani, which was popular at the time (from a movie, I believe), and demonstrates multitimbrality/polyphony (rolling voice allocation).

I would think [ Show youtube player ] would be capable of doing this in 1985, but it could also be a small custom demo (included with the standard Lines, Dots, etc demos for later WB versions) to show the Fairlight sample import function.

Because I haven't seen it in WB1.2 or WB1.3, I think it's an earlier version and it could be on a similar Extras disk. Or the dealer Demos disk mentioned initially.
Definitely an Amiga 1000 only era demo disk, it is just labelled Workbench Demos other than that I've not found this version of the disk for download which has the "sound effects" drawer sadly.
Old 03 November 2022, 05:53   #4
Snoopy1234

The sound samples are on the second computer with RoboCity loaded also. (Two drives used) The icons look like Aegis Sonix ones to me but idk.
Old 03 November 2022, 22:01   #5
Photon

Oh. Was in a hurry so skipped to the sound. From the 1:30 timestamp it's dead easy & no need for analysis! It's a disk shipped with or aside Workbench 1.0 for A1000, probably with.

The thread here has a working download link. I think it's the second disk image from the bottom.

Unfortunately WinUAE doesn't like this DMS format, or maybe WB 1.3.3 which is the lowest WB version I have doesn't like some OFS disk format version, or a combination, so I can't even examine the disk from WB.

If I can find more time, I could have a look again, but we also have capable disk preservers here.

Also given more time, I could have a look for the disks that came with my A1000. But if tucked away, it will have to wait a week or two.
Old 04 November 2022, 00:50   #6
Photon

I've uploaded the disk images to the Zone, with instructions. Maybe some icons will show with the right config. For some reason WinUAE (4.4.0) won't boot Kick/WB1.2, may have time to create config tomorrow.
Old 04 November 2022, 04:56   #7
Snoopy1234

Images arranged as BBC program to the Zone. Interesting Polyscope on the "other" A1000 set was retail released on the Kaleidoscope disk with the A1000. Haven't worked out the way to exit Polyscope to get to WB as in BBC program - playing with the WB apps on the disk.
Old 05 November 2022, 16:12   #8
ImmortalA1000

Thanks Photon, went to the Zone and downloaded the german demos zip you uploaded and attached demo 1.dms as instructed but only see the speech demos as icons so far.

My PC with ADFview is dead so I will have to mess about with them to see if I can find that demo in that sprache drawer with a CLI tool a bit later. Just having a tea break whilst some tile adhesive dries before I go back to that. Wasted most my weekend working on Atari 'Mickey' research!
Old 05 November 2022, 16:20   #9
ImmortalA1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1234 View Post
Images arranged as BBC program to the Zone. Interesting Polyscope on the "other" A1000 set was retail released on the Kaleidoscope disk with the A1000. Haven't worked out the way to exit Polyscope to get to WB as in BBC program - playing with the WB apps on the disk.
Thanks for uploading to the zone

I used the wb and wb demos disk images and ran the NewMusic program but nothing happens, pressing keys on the keyboard makes no sound (tested WinUAE config I used and Moonwalker demo has sound).

Any idea how I get the sounds to play?
Old 05 November 2022, 21:03   #10
Snoopy1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
Thanks for uploading to the zone

I used the wb and wb demos disk images and ran the NewMusic program but nothing happens, pressing keys on the keyboard makes no sound (tested WinUAE config I used and Moonwalker demo has sound).

Any idea how I get the sounds to play?
Once NewMusic is loaded, right-click on the top WB menu bar and select an instrument to use. The instruments aren't on all kb keys when playing too.
Old 06 November 2022, 00:06   #11
ImmortalA1000

All working now, got all 3 disks and 3 drives active.

Think I've tried all of them now lol but not finding the same samples as used on the program though, strings and guitar are different to the ones played by Fred Harris in the video so perhaps this is a later one with different sounds.

ADSR controls are a nice feature though. Great way to pass a few minutes anyway, wish I had these disks back then when I got my A1000 in the post. Bloody Doctors!!
Old 06 November 2022, 01:36   #12
Photon

I tried the .adfs this morning and could get sound out of the Boing demo under animation on the same disk as the sound demos. But Speech Toy didn't work under 1.2/1.2 like it did for the .dms under WB1.3.3, task held despite correct platform.

I think it's a matter of some of these disks being specific platform releases and because of that you need the right combination for them to work, the libs were changing.
Old 08 November 2022, 00:01   #13
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
All working now, got all 3 disks and 3 drives active.

Think I've tried all of them now lol but not finding the same samples as used on the program though, strings and guitar are different to the ones played by Fred Harris in the video so perhaps this is a later one with different sounds.

ADSR controls are a nice feature though. Great way to pass a few minutes anyway, wish I had these disks back then when I got my A1000 in the post. Bloody Doctors!!
<3 Yeah our efforts have failed to supply the exact disks from the clip. - Maybe. See below.

Now, we know A1000 had this software in 1985 from Workbench 1.0 in the clip. We also got some clues, ECA and Sonix.

The software I linked is a user copy, and says it has what you want, but icons are missing for the vital parts (in emu, 1.3) so that there is nothing to click.

All my 1.3+ Amiga hardware is (must be!) running flawlessly and is always out, but it's been a while since I had my A1000 out.

Do you get the disks from my link showing icons @Immortal1000 under Kick1.0 on your A1000?
Old 08 November 2022, 05:55   #14
ImmortalA1000

Not really had a chance to do anything nice lately, working on this house I feel like Tom Hanks in The Money Pit! To make things worse today I woke up to a hole in the ceiling and even worse the slightly not great box for my new old stock Commodore 1902 is ruined! (radiator thermostatic valve) already have a slow leak in the concrete floor. lol this house needs a team of experts.

I did check on the BBC archive where you can watch all their Computer Literacy Project stuff and that episode was aired [live] on 6th December 1985 so my mistake, think I said 1986.

I think I tried it with a Wb 1.1 disk, not sure. I am on my backup PC so all the shortcuts for the 12tb worth of stuff sitting on the external drives is pretty shafted as Windows likes to play fast and loose with drive letter assignments. Somewhere I have a full set of Kickstart and Workbench ROMs/ADFs (all legal seeing as I own every machine Commodore ever released with a Paula/Portia chip inside it heh).

https://clp.bbcrewind.co.uk/757dc739...57a9848dcd6585
Old 28 November 2022, 23:00   #15
Photon

Excellent, yes I struggle to find time also, maybe weekend after next.

But I have already begun to rummage through some of all my stuff.